Spot Prawn Recipes

Hi FB, there is a small brownish runny gooey bit that I scoop out with a little seafood fork. sometimes it comes out when I give the head a shake when the tail comes off. everything else stays in and the bigger heads actually have a bit of meat in them.

when doing the previous wok recipe with dungeness crab. clean the crab, I rip the shell off, snap the crab in 1/2, and give it a good shake, rip off the gills & head bits, pretty much clean now. then I cut each 1/2 in 1/2 leaving body part connected, now I crack all the legs and knuckles so some meat is exposed, a cleaver works well for this. this allows the garlic ginger infused oil and sauce to soak into the meat.

follow the previous recipe only use a little more oil, and stir fry the crab for 10 -12 minutes depending on amount and size of crab,I have a lid for the wok and will leave it for a minute or so (leave it too long and it will burn) with the lid on a few times, kInda lets it steam a bit too, do this till you think the crab is pretty much done, could take 15, now add your sauce (use more than you would in the prawn recipe), also add a bunch of chopped scallions (2-3" long) and stir fry for 2 minutes or so till everything is well coated, keep stirring so the sauce doesn't burn. This is my family's favorite way to eat crab now, makes for a fun messy meal. pretty much how the chinese do it in some restaurants, works very well with rock cod as well.

cheers Nicnat

We pour boiling water on a bowl of prawns, stir, rinse with cold water after 30 sec. They're done- use with dipping sauce or whatever.
Got that from a u tube video from the C restaurant chef. Our favourite way right now.

How long do you leave prawns in the bowl? Do you remove after the 30 sec are up or can you just leave prawns in the boiling water and let cool without them going rubbery? Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do you leave prawns in the bowl? Do you remove after the 30 sec are up or can you just leave prawns in the boiling water and let cool without them going rubbery? Thx
I leave in the boiling water no longer then 4 mins, remove and eat with hoy garlic butter

Thank you Guys, I couldn't find the video prior to cooking, but that's pretty close to what I did. I poured the boiling water over the spots and let it cool down for 1 minute. Results awesome, not one rubbery piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is another recipe from my buddy in North Carolina

He calls it his "Uncle Dans steamed shrimp".
I have used it for both fresh spot prawns and frozen uncooked in the shell .....16 to 20 count...the bigger the better.

Here again these our my buddys words and recipe

Feeds four:

6 lbs. head-on fresh shrimp, bigger the better ....you can do as small amount of shrimp as you like but the ingredients and amount of ingredients stay the same
3 Bay Leaves, crushed
Budweiser beer (2 beers)...or want ever is your fav
Apple cider vinegar (14 oz)
Coarse Sea Salt, or Kosher Salt
Old Bay

Metal colander
Melted butter

We like the head-on shrimp, for a couple of reasons. After the head-on shrimp get old at the seafood market, they become head-off. Head-on holds more flavor too. A lot of times in recipes, you'll see shrimp cooked head-on, and you can do that here.

Begin by pinching off the heads. Place head-off shrimp in cold water to de-mung; set aside......you leave the shells on

In a six quart stock pot with lid, bring the crushed bay leaves, beer and vinegar to a hard boil. Place the metal colander in the pot.......equal amounts of beer and vinegar to start.

Add half of the shrimp to the colander, cover, lower heat to medium-high. Stir with wide slotted metal fry spoon after 1-2 minutes, cover. Cook a minute more, check, stir. Remove when small shrimp JUST begin to wrinkle and large ones have just lost their gray color and are orange, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove smaller shrimp first. DO NOT wrinkle the large shrimp. Place all in large bowl.....Cooking times will vary, I've had them done in as little as 2 minutes.

Repeat as above for batch # 2, using more beer as a base. Cooking in batches, they're easier to monitor, not over-crowded, uniformly cooked.

Immediately after all shrimp are in the bowl and still hot, stir, adding a shake of salt and 1 tbsp. Old Bay to the shrimp in shell, stir and shake. The Old Bay and rock salt melts on the hot shells....Serve HOT with melted butter (clarified if you want to get gourmet) fresh corn on the cob, and hush puppies..... Ok guys, I don't know what a hush puppie is but I'm guessing something to do with spuds.

The best thing to me about the recipe is the shrimp are steamed, not boiled. They cook in their own juices, the flavor is not boiled out. I use the same idea (metal colander) with clams, oysters, scallops, lobster, crab, etc, with variations. Works great with appetizers, quick and easy. You can't go wrong here, give it a try, enjoy!

.....This has become my favorite way of doing prawns.
The vinegar is not overpowering in the least. It adds great flavor, firms the meat and makes for easy pulling off of the shells

Bill

That one looks really good and interesting Bill. Thanks for sharing :).

I have to use up some Cabelas gift cards so I was thinking of getting a King Cooker kit that boils, steams, or fry's. It comes with a colander for steaming.

I'll give it a try.

Back