Spot Prawn Recipes

Finished Business

Hey all!

Seems a lot of people are out there competing with the commercial boats to put prawns on the dinner table. Just curious what recipes or methods people are using . Not referring to prep, but the actual cooking of your prawn (aside from the usual garlic butter).

I will start it off with an absolutely deadly cooking method I stumbled onto in my last cook.

Using frozen prawns, I thawed them until they broke apart individually (I didn't freeze this batch in water, but they were only about a week old so they were still good), Next (I have a deepfryer) I set the oil temp to 375F. Once to temp, the prawns went in, still slightly frozen. I cooked them for precisely 1 minute. At this point they are cooked thoroughly and GOOD to eat.

But, for a little extra...here's what knocked it out of the park.

Simmer some garlic butter in a pan until it melts, but not boil. Add a dash and abit of OLD BAY seafood seasoning. Put the deepfried prawns in the pan and swirl em around until they are well covered by the OLD BAY infused garlic butter. Enjoy!

I would strongly recommend eating the deepfried tails and legs. This is probably the best part of the deepfried prawn. It is a unique taste and texture like potato chips.

Cheers,

FB

What other recipes or methods do you folks use??

I take the larger ones, peel frozen or fresh doesn't matter, wrap them in half strip of bacon, stick a toothpick through them to stay in place and bbq

cook till the bacon is the desired texture

the bacon protects the prawns from over-coocking too fast, and the prawns soak in the bacon fat

everything tastse good wrapped in bacon!!

enjoy

A Thai prawn coconut curry on basmati rice is quite good. I would suggest using Google etc. to find a suitable recipe. Mine always changes so it's hard to nail down but there's lots of good recipe's out there.;) eman

We pour boiling water on a bowl of prawns, stir, rinse with cold water after 30 sec. They're done- use with dipping sauce or whatever.
Got that from a u tube video from the C restaurant chef. Our favourite way right now.

I just got back from Hawaii a couple weeks ago and had the most amazing prawns there,
deep fried coconut crusted prawns at Bubba Gumps if you haven't tried coconut crusted
you don't know what your missing, next time I have the deep fryer going that's what's going in,
other then that my way of cooking is the simplest,
put fresh or thawed prawns in an empty pot, in a separate pot boil salted water once boiling pour it over the prawns in the empty pot and let them sit approx. 4 mins max remove prawns and serve with warm garlic butter, this is a perfectly cooked prawn, never chewy or rubbery

my favorite has become almost a ritual on my boat when my daughter is out with me when we pull our first trap the first 2 out of the trap get their heads snapped off and tails eaten raw as my daughter says its a sacrifice to the prawn gods for good luck lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to quick pan fry mine in a hot pan.

In the pan I put in butter, some fresh minced garlic, some light Japanese soy sauce and a bit of Cajun spice and let it get all happy together.

After a moment, I throw the prawns in the hot pan for just a minute or two.

When they're done I like to pour the prawns and the sauce from the pan all over a medium rare New York striploin or ribeye. :)

Hookin'up, can you explain how you bread the coconut on zee prawn? tx

I have not done it yet only had them there,
but did a quick search and came up with this and it sounds about right
and they were butterflied too, mmmm mouths watering again

24 uncooked prawns (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, deveined, tails left intact
1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
3 large egg whites

Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)

Preparation

Using small sharp knife and starting at top of inward curve just below tail, butterfly prawns, cutting each more than halfway through toward outward curve (do not cut prawn in two). Open each prawn (as for book) and press slightly to flatten. Mix cornstarch, salt and cayenne in medium bowl. Place coconut in pie dish. Beat egg whites in another medium bowl until frothy. Dredge prawn in cornstarch mixture; shake off excess. Dip prawn into egg whites, then press prawn into coconut; turn prawn over and press into coconut again to coat both sides.

Pour enough oil into heavy large pot to reach depth of 2 inches; heat to 350°F. Working in batches, add prawns to hot oil; deep-fry until cooked through, about 1 minute. Using tongs or slotted spoon, transfer prawns to paper towels to drain. Arrange prawns on platter.

thanks, that will be next for me. but all these sound pretty damn good!

I tried my first raw prawn at the spot prawn festival and I was shocked how delicious it was, sweet and buttery.

If i had some id try Id try some prawn poke or civceche.

My fav is (shells on) marinated in olive oil for 5 mins, thread on skewer, bbq 1-2 mins each side. Toss in butter that has fresh garlic just cooked in it. Serve on homemade fresh fettachini with shaved parm. One of my top 2 meals.

Had a nice bowl a few years ago that was just prawns plunged into boiling water with pickling spice then chilled. If you like that pastrami type flavor. (which I dont normally) Big bowl served cold. good with beer.

had a cool recipe at my favorite vancouver sushi spot last night. You get 8 fresh spot prawns, the tails are nigri style, just raw on a clump of sushi rice(delicious)! And then they deep fry the heads tempura style on a seperate plate which were delicious as well!

had my first raw prawn last year when I outfitted the boat for prawning. First trap we hauled, me and the guys on board each slurped down one raw spot prawn tail after dipping it in soy ... very tasty and a much different flavor profile from when they are cooked..

Did some lastnight , Hookem'up style ...... Like candy !!! exellent for sure
Thanks for that one

I just got back from Hawaii a couple weeks ago and had the most amazing prawns there,
deep fried coconut crusted prawns at Bubba Gumps if you haven't tried coconut crusted
you don't know what your missing, next time I have the deep fryer going that's what's going in,
other then that my way of cooking is the simplest,
put fresh or thawed prawns in an empty pot, in a separate pot boil salted water once boiling pour it over the prawns in the empty pot and let them sit approx. 4 mins max remove prawns and serve with warm garlic butter, this is a perfectly cooked prawn, never chewy or rubbery

my favorite has become almost a ritual on my boat when my daughter is out with me when we pull our first trap the first 2 out of the trap get their heads snapped off and tails eaten raw as my daughter says its a sacrifice to the prawn gods for good luck lol

A staple in Baja............so good!

Sweet chili thai sauce and mango curry sauce with a little butter.

We usually use equal parts but you can adjust the heat with the thai sauce :)

Last summer I got a good haul of prawns when the SILs and BILs were around. I made old fashioned prawn cocktails - tossed in mayo with finely chopped celery and onion, horseradishy seafood sauce on top. I received lavish compliments for the rich sweet flavour and juicy texture. I failed to mention that the prawns were uncooked; that would not have gone down well (but they loved 'em nonetheless...)

a favorite of mine is cooking them in a wok, i have a huge 24" wok and an 80 thou. btu single burner. I also do this with dungies.

prawns head off shell on
put a couple of tables spoons to 1/4 cup (depending on amount of prawns) canola or peanut oil (olive will burn as the wok gets quite hot.) heat up
take 5-10 lge cloves of garlic cut in 1/2 (pealed) and a similar amount of liced ginger (about 1/4 inch thick, cut on diagonal to get larger pieces), put this in the oil and press it a large wooden spatula to infuse into the the oil, takes a minute or 2 remove the garlic and ginger before it burns.

have about a 1/2 to 1 cup of 3 parts sweet thai chili sauce, 1 part black bean sauce, and another part or less (depending on heat tolerance) of sambal olek. (use some tobasco if u don't have any or know what it is)

throw the prawns in the wok and stir fry them, I also throw in some chopped garlic with them , only takes about 2 minutes or so, (if you have some larger prawns, put them in 1st for a minute) don't over cook them, now add your sauce and stir fry for maybe a minute coating all the prawns and heating the sauce.

when done, pour all into a large platter, plenty of napkins, shell bowl, finger bowls and your fav beverage and enjoy.
you can use any sauce variation you like, I'm always experimenting, this is one of my favs. you also don't need the sauce, they are great with just the ginger garlic flavor, or use a dipping sauce as in others recipes
I also cook the prawn heads once in a while, I've had them like Demco mentioned at the sushi bars and got the chef to give me a how too on it, not much to it. enough oil in a wok or fry pan so you can cover the heads, 1st dredge the heads in cornstarch, then liberally cover in sea salt, now heat the oil to quite hot, throw in the heads kinda stirring a bit to make sure all get fully deep fried, best to overcook these than under cook, incredible flavor, very bacon like. I've managed to get friends wives who are meat and potato types to try these and they are amazed. make sure the heads are fresh fresh fresh, I wouldn't do this if the prawn has been dead a while.

cheers Nicnat

IMG_0014.jpgIMG_0010.jpg
a couple of pics of the finished product (hopefully worked, lol)
you can do this on a stove with a large frying pan or small wok
cheers Nicnat

Do you clean the head prior to frying or tear the tale off and fry as is, with guts n all?

Back