sport fishing boat quality

I'm also looking at the same boats.

Another consideration may be towing. You can probably pull a 21' boat with a 1/2 ton truck, but a 23' probably needs a 3/4 ton.

And if you plan to go offshore, this may also factor into your choice. Do you want radar? If so, I think you need a hardtop. And is a self-bailing boat better for offshore fishing?

Another consideration may be towing. You can probably pull a 21' boat with a 1/2 ton truck, but a 23' probably needs a 3/4 ton.

And if you plan to go offshore, this may also factor into your choice. Do you want radar? If so, I think you need a hardtop. And is a self-bailing boat better for offshore fishing?

In all honesty, i have only had maybe a bucket full of water in my boat from adverse sea conditions from a port side wave, anchored for hali in not so great weather. The thing you have to figure out is do you really want or require a self bailing deck? I find the positive side of SB deck is that you can spray the snot out of it, all the fish blood, spilt beer , puke,rainwater etc. and it just flows right out. But on the other hand the deck is raised up as well, therfore offering low sides that require railings to keep less steady sea legs on board. Most walkarounds require a Self Bailing deck as water comes up over the bow and down the sides into the boat and out the scuppers. Again i have a Trophy with what many overlook in a good sea boat "a big flare on the Bow" like double eagle did. I have yet to dip and gulp the bow into a wave going into or going with a following sea in a variety of "should i really be out here conditions".Also the windows stay dry in the chop. A non self bailing deck gives you a much lower floor, below the waterline. taller sides and more rear cabin space.I know Westcoast guides who have utilized the selfbailing deck several times in a more saftety oriented manner fishing in weather not fit for man or boat. On most of these occasions it is breaking waves or greenies crashing on to the deck and filling the boat getting guest faces ghost white and wet feet as the guide smiles and reasures from his Helly Hanson armour and gumboots[:0].On these occasions the self bailing deck worked out nicely.There is a reason the commerical trolling fleet thinks sporties are crazy[:p]

In all honesty, i have only had maybe a bucket full of water in my boat from adverse sea conditions from a port side wave, anchored for hali in not so great weather. The thing you have to figure out is do you really want or require a self bailing deck? I find the positive side of SB deck is that you can spray the snot out of it, all the fish blood, spilt beer , puke,rainwater etc. and it just flows right out. But on the other hand the deck is raised up as well, therfore offering low sides that require railings to keep less steady sea legs on board. Most walkarounds require a Self Bailing deck as water comes up over the bow and down the sides into the boat and out the scuppers. Again i have a Trophy with what many overlook in a good sea boat "a big flare on the Bow" like double eagle did. I have yet to dip and gulp the bow into a wave going into or going with a following sea in a variety of "should i really be out here conditions".Also the windows stay dry in the chop. A non self bailing deck gives you a much lower floor, below the waterline. taller sides and more rear cabin space.I know Westcoast guides who have utilized the selfbailing deck several times in a more saftety oriented manner fishing in weather not fit for man or boat. On most of these occasions it is breaking waves or greenies crashing on to the deck and filling the boat getting guest faces ghost white and wet feet as the guide smiles and reasures from his Helly Hanson armour and gumboots[:0].On these occasions the self bailing deck worked out nicely.There is a reason the commerical trolling fleet thinks sporties are crazy[:p]

I have a Key West(which is not on your list)but I absolutely love it. If you get a chance, be sure to check them out.

thundermist:)

I have a Key West(which is not on your list)but I absolutely love it. If you get a chance, be sure to check them out.

Thanks for the input 'Time'. I have checked out Arima web page, but good idea, I will inquire with their user group.

quote:Originally posted by Time

If you check out the Arima website, scroll down to the bottom of the page. There is a link to the Arima User Group.
Sign on and post your query. There are some members from around the Island. (Maybe try for a trial ride?)
General concensus is that they do tend to pound a bit - or more - at speed in a heavy chop, but while fishing, either trolling or drifting, they are more stable than a traditional deep v like a Double Eagle.
The reason is the flatter bottom aft, not just the weight.
That said, I have a 16 foot Arima which I think is a well designed, made, and laid out, boat, excellent for fishing out of, but when the seas are chippy, I do slow down.
The 21 and 22 footers may be better at handling the rougher water due to their greater size and weight.

Thanks for the input 'Time'. I have checked out Arima web page, but good idea, I will inquire with their user group.

quote:Originally posted by Time

If you check out the Arima website, scroll down to the bottom of the page. There is a link to the Arima User Group.
Sign on and post your query. There are some members from around the Island. (Maybe try for a trial ride?)
General concensus is that they do tend to pound a bit - or more - at speed in a heavy chop, but while fishing, either trolling or drifting, they are more stable than a traditional deep v like a Double Eagle.
The reason is the flatter bottom aft, not just the weight.
That said, I have a 16 foot Arima which I think is a well designed, made, and laid out, boat, excellent for fishing out of, but when the seas are chippy, I do slow down.
The 21 and 22 footers may be better at handling the rougher water due to their greater size and weight.

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

Yeah absolutely correct Red. I have a 3/4 ton now and looking at a one ton in the next coupla years. I towed my 26' Campion Toba with my 3/4 ton and it was an easy tow. I just asked the boat where it wanted to go and it let me know:D

quote:And if you plan to go offshore, this may also factor into your choice. Do you want radar? If so, I think you need a hardtop. And is a self-bailing boat better for offshore fishing?
Yeah it will need to be big enough for the offshore. The way things are going it may be the last place left for good fishing.:(

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

Yeah absolutely correct Red. I have a 3/4 ton now and looking at a one ton in the next coupla years. I towed my 26' Campion Toba with my 3/4 ton and it was an easy tow. I just asked the boat where it wanted to go and it let me know:D

quote:And if you plan to go offshore, this may also factor into your choice. Do you want radar? If so, I think you need a hardtop. And is a self-bailing boat better for offshore fishing?
Yeah it will need to be big enough for the offshore. The way things are going it may be the last place left for good fishing.:(

quote:Originally posted by Thundermist

Thanks Thunder, I'll have a look.

Is anyone else out there doing the same US search for the same kind of product? if so, jump in.

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by Thundermist

Thanks Thunder, I'll have a look.

Is anyone else out there doing the same US search for the same kind of product? if so, jump in.

Cheers

Why go with a fiberglass boat? Go welded aluminum. They are lighter, stronger, more durable, less maintanence, and they have much better re-sale value then fiberglass.
manufacturers to look at are:
- Silver Streak
- Northwest Aluminum Craft
- Liquid Metal
- Eaglecraft
- Ironwood
- Wolf
- Armstrong

I have a 20 ft. Silver Streak and I love it!!!

Why go with a fiberglass boat? Go welded aluminum. They are lighter, stronger, more durable, less maintanence, and they have much better re-sale value then fiberglass.
manufacturers to look at are:
- Silver Streak
- Northwest Aluminum Craft
- Liquid Metal
- Eaglecraft
- Ironwood
- Wolf
- Armstrong

I have a 20 ft. Silver Streak and I love it!!!

I have a 27 Monaro that is a great fishing boat. Good ride, nice swim grid for landing. Locally hand built, customizable. Most of the Monaro owners buy for cruising, I bought for fishing and couldn't ask for more. No, I don't work there. Just bought one and am impressed. I like the company, designer and the builders.

www.monaromarine.com

I have a 27 Monaro that is a great fishing boat. Good ride, nice swim grid for landing. Locally hand built, customizable. Most of the Monaro owners buy for cruising, I bought for fishing and couldn't ask for more. No, I don't work there. Just bought one and am impressed. I like the company, designer and the builders.

www.monaromarine.com

I'm looking for a 19-21 ft boat, maybe in the states. I don't want to go any larger as I don't want to go larger than my 1/2 ton for towing. Still looking around...
T2

I'm looking for a 19-21 ft boat, maybe in the states. I don't want to go any larger as I don't want to go larger than my 1/2 ton for towing. Still looking around...
T2

Back