sport fishing boat quality

Gentlemen,

I want to thank each and every one of you for your contributions. You have helped me out immeasurably. For those who suggested I buy a whaler or a grady, thanks for the suggestion. I will put "robbing a bank" on my list of things to do:D

I should have also have mentioned that I am not going to spend over $20 K on this boat as I will probably use it 30 to 50 days a year. I still have a big challenge ahead, but your comments have really helped. I think I am leaning towards a sea-swirl if I can find a good one

Cheers

Gentlemen,

I want to thank each and every one of you for your contributions. You have helped me out immeasurably. For those who suggested I buy a whaler or a grady, thanks for the suggestion. I will put "robbing a bank" on my list of things to do:D

I should have also have mentioned that I am not going to spend over $20 K on this boat as I will probably use it 30 to 50 days a year. I still have a big challenge ahead, but your comments have really helped. I think I am leaning towards a sea-swirl if I can find a good one

Cheers

finaddict....

This is just my opinion about Grady's and Boston's....they are nice boats and the Grady's are my pref, but you are paying a lot for the name too. Just like Sony makes a great TV...they are priced for the name too. Before I get flamed by both types of owners....I am not saying they are pieces of crap, just priced like a "Sony" of the market in their class.

fin.....one thing I would look at doing is jump on to yachtworld.com. Type in the size range and model of boat....you would be surprised for some manufacturers the different layouts that exist out there. Just my humble opinion....had a center console Seacraft up here....VERY durable boat, but I would not buy another "center console" just due to what the weather can do up here. I would lean towards something with a small cuddy as I think you may be more happy in the long run....and leave the "walkabouts" in that size alone. As mentioned earlier....the "walkabout" assumes that you are a tight-rope walker who has escaped from the circus.

finaddict....

This is just my opinion about Grady's and Boston's....they are nice boats and the Grady's are my pref, but you are paying a lot for the name too. Just like Sony makes a great TV...they are priced for the name too. Before I get flamed by both types of owners....I am not saying they are pieces of crap, just priced like a "Sony" of the market in their class.

fin.....one thing I would look at doing is jump on to yachtworld.com. Type in the size range and model of boat....you would be surprised for some manufacturers the different layouts that exist out there. Just my humble opinion....had a center console Seacraft up here....VERY durable boat, but I would not buy another "center console" just due to what the weather can do up here. I would lean towards something with a small cuddy as I think you may be more happy in the long run....and leave the "walkabouts" in that size alone. As mentioned earlier....the "walkabout" assumes that you are a tight-rope walker who has escaped from the circus.

Thanks Pippen,

You and I are on the same page about whalers and Gradys, as well as the type of boat. I love 'em, but I have better things to do with my money. I will not be using my boat as a guide boat, and quite honestly I would rather invest more in high end mechanicals and electronics, as long as I am confident in the soundness of the hull and design of vessel. Whalers and Gradys are tops in this respect too, but not so much better that I need to invest in one.

I am looking at the sport fishers in walk around only because they tend to have the design configuration best associated with fishing. I absolutely will have a small cuddy dabin and will not consider a CC. They are great if all you want to do is fish in July and August, but I want a year round boat preferably with a hardtop and full canvas or at least an Alaskan bulkhead canvas.

As far as peripherals (DR's,FF's, kickers and the like) I have enough crap to keep me busy installing fora year or more, so I am less worried about the equipment on board.

The final component will be a good quality trailer as I am not interested in relying on soms of the abused crap that people sell as trailers.

Thanks again gents I really do appreciate the comments

Cheers

Thanks Pippen,

You and I are on the same page about whalers and Gradys, as well as the type of boat. I love 'em, but I have better things to do with my money. I will not be using my boat as a guide boat, and quite honestly I would rather invest more in high end mechanicals and electronics, as long as I am confident in the soundness of the hull and design of vessel. Whalers and Gradys are tops in this respect too, but not so much better that I need to invest in one.

I am looking at the sport fishers in walk around only because they tend to have the design configuration best associated with fishing. I absolutely will have a small cuddy dabin and will not consider a CC. They are great if all you want to do is fish in July and August, but I want a year round boat preferably with a hardtop and full canvas or at least an Alaskan bulkhead canvas.

As far as peripherals (DR's,FF's, kickers and the like) I have enough crap to keep me busy installing fora year or more, so I am less worried about the equipment on board.

The final component will be a good quality trailer as I am not interested in relying on soms of the abused crap that people sell as trailers.

Thanks again gents I really do appreciate the comments

Cheers

You might want to add Arima to your list too. they provide a lot of space for the size of the boat. They are lighter than a lot of the boats you list so less power required to push them + less dollars on motors and fuel. Just a suggestion of a good boat that was overlooked.

http://www.arimaboats.com/frames/index.htm

You might want to add Arima to your list too. they provide a lot of space for the size of the boat. They are lighter than a lot of the boats you list so less power required to push them + less dollars on motors and fuel. Just a suggestion of a good boat that was overlooked.

You might want to add an Arima to your list too. They provide a lot of space for the size of the boat. They are lighter than a lot of the boats that you list so less power required to push them = less dollars on motors and fuel. Just a suggestion of a good boat that was overlooked.

You might want to add an Arima to your list too. They provide a lot of space for the size of the boat. They are lighter than a lot of the boats that you list so less power required to push them = less dollars on motors and fuel. Just a suggestion of a good boat that was overlooked.

Thanks Fish Hawk, I am a big fan of the the Arimas as well, and I also really like the Sea-Sports, but neither of those boats come up for sale as used very often and I think this says something about how happy the owners are with these vessels.

Those Arimas and Sea-Sports that do come up have a really high resale value and that is unfortunately a deterrent for a cheap old b*st*rd like me [8D]

Keep the comments comin' guys, You'll have me sorted out soon enough

Cheers

Thanks Fish Hawk, I am a big fan of the the Arimas as well, and I also really like the Sea-Sports, but neither of those boats come up for sale as used very often and I think this says something about how happy the owners are with these vessels.

Those Arimas and Sea-Sports that do come up have a really high resale value and that is unfortunately a deterrent for a cheap old b*st*rd like me [8D]

Keep the comments comin' guys, You'll have me sorted out soon enough

Cheers

Fishhawk,

I've been researching new boats for the past few months and Arima has gained my attention. I haven't seen one in person yet though. Just wondering about how they ride on the water. Because they are lighter, I wonder how they are on rough water.

Reason I ask is because I want to upgrade to a newer boat. My current boat is 22 ft aluminum and it's a great fishing boat, but it is a rough ride out to the grounds.

quote:Originally posted by fishhawk8

Fishhawk,

I've been researching new boats for the past few months and Arima has gained my attention. I haven't seen one in person yet though. Just wondering about how they ride on the water. Because they are lighter, I wonder how they are on rough water.

Reason I ask is because I want to upgrade to a newer boat. My current boat is 22 ft aluminum and it's a great fishing boat, but it is a rough ride out to the grounds.

quote:Originally posted by fishhawk8

If you check out the Arima website, scroll down to the bottom of the page. There is a link to the Arima User Group.
Sign on and post your query. There are some members from around the Island. (Maybe try for a trial ride?)
General concensus is that they do tend to pound a bit - or more - at speed in a heavy chop, but while fishing, either trolling or drifting, they are more stable than a traditional deep v like a Double Eagle.
The reason is the flatter bottom aft, not just the weight.
That said, I have a 16 foot Arima which I think is a well designed, made, and laid out, boat, excellent for fishing out of, but when the seas are chippy, I do slow down.
The 21 and 22 footers may be better at handling the rougher water due to their greater size and weight.

If you check out the Arima website, scroll down to the bottom of the page. There is a link to the Arima User Group.
Sign on and post your query. There are some members from around the Island. (Maybe try for a trial ride?)
General concensus is that they do tend to pound a bit - or more - at speed in a heavy chop, but while fishing, either trolling or drifting, they are more stable than a traditional deep v like a Double Eagle.
The reason is the flatter bottom aft, not just the weight.
That said, I have a 16 foot Arima which I think is a well designed, made, and laid out, boat, excellent for fishing out of, but when the seas are chippy, I do slow down.
The 21 and 22 footers may be better at handling the rougher water due to their greater size and weight.

Although they may not be the "exact" layout you are looking for, and if you are willing to adapt, Zeta makes one solid west coast built boat. The manufactuers build them like 'brick sh....houses' and I have been on a number and ONE that was a 20' for years. I have been in some rough pounding seas on that boat and it was solid as anything I have ever been on in the 20'-23' range. Not the greatest fishing layout, but we still managed to get a few to the boat.

Much like I said earlier....search makes and look at the different sizes as some manufactuers have MANY different layouts from year to year.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you end up with.

I am personally looking for a slightly older, late 90's 31 or 33' Tiara or Pursuit from down south right now.

Although they may not be the "exact" layout you are looking for, and if you are willing to adapt, Zeta makes one solid west coast built boat. The manufactuers build them like 'brick sh....houses' and I have been on a number and ONE that was a 20' for years. I have been in some rough pounding seas on that boat and it was solid as anything I have ever been on in the 20'-23' range. Not the greatest fishing layout, but we still managed to get a few to the boat.

Much like I said earlier....search makes and look at the different sizes as some manufactuers have MANY different layouts from year to year.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you end up with.

I am personally looking for a slightly older, late 90's 31 or 33' Tiara or Pursuit from down south right now.

Back