spoons soldered rings

alley cat

Hey there everyone , have you or have any of you noticed that the last batch of spoons to come out from all sources are soldered/welded poorly?
I went to buy some extras yesterday and when looking through the selection noticed a lot of rings that were pitted and generally thinner in diameter than the rest of the ring at the spot where they are joined, the general finish on the inside of the diameter was rough in a few spots also leading me to think it could possibly work on the line when it is tied on
So.......do any of you on a regular basis clip off the rings and apply split rings instead ?
Would this perhaps throw the balance out ?
Just thinking out loud here and expecting that many of you are more observant than the average fisherman with their gear.

Tks for the feedback.

AL

you're right Al, i have noticed the same...
poorly welded rings on a lot of different spoons.
i thought it was just me, but now that you mentioned...

scotty

you're right Al, i have noticed the same...
poorly welded rings on a lot of different spoons.
i thought it was just me, but now that you mentioned...

scotty

Alley cat If it looks suspect I always clip them off and put splitrings on those spoons dont really last very long anyways as being so thin for there action if you get a month out of them consider them as a their job done there not made to last long

Good luck wolf

Alley cat If it looks suspect I always clip them off and put splitrings on those spoons dont really last very long anyways as being so thin for there action if you get a month out of them consider them as a their job done there not made to last long

Good luck wolf

ive had two coyote spoons break at the soldered ring on me over the last 6 years, one on a chinook in the low 20's and the other on a sockeye about 6 pounds.

both were brand new... i wasnt impressed

ive had two coyote spoons break at the soldered ring on me over the last 6 years, one on a chinook in the low 20's and the other on a sockeye about 6 pounds.

both were brand new... i wasnt impressed

Thanks for the comments Wolf , I forgot to include asking if there was any experience with split rings and what was the general time frame to look at replacing the same.
I have already started to snap off the suspect rings and reroute with split rings and will certainly keep in mind the 1 month time limit.
Going to rig one up with ring/small ball bearing swivel and see what gives with that set up.

AL

Thanks for the comments Wolf , I forgot to include asking if there was any experience with split rings and what was the general time frame to look at replacing the same.
I have already started to snap off the suspect rings and reroute with split rings and will certainly keep in mind the 1 month time limit.
Going to rig one up with ring/small ball bearing swivel and see what gives with that set up.

AL

Thanks for the Heads Up.
I have some bought a while back that need changing if they're to be used this season.

Thanks for the Heads Up.
I have some bought a while back that need changing if they're to be used this season.

You also have to check the hooks on new spoons. I often find that the eye isn't closed completly on the single siwash hook. And while your at it don't forget to crush the barb, sharpen the point, and give the hook point a little bend inward to give it that rotating digging in action.

You also have to check the hooks on new spoons. I often find that the eye isn't closed completly on the single siwash hook. And while your at it don't forget to crush the barb, sharpen the point, and give the hook point a little bend inward to give it that rotating digging in action.

Back