Spoon Maintenance

T

tortuga

How do you keep spooons from tarnishing between trips?
Is there a liquid solution to store spoons in or do you
have to clean them after every use?
What's the best polish for brass/chrome? [8D]
Tired of buying new ones every year. [xx(]

Cheers, Tortuga

I always just rinse the gear that I've used (teasers, spoons, hootchies, flashers, etc) in some fresh water. I can't stand when my hooks get all rusty. Works great.

Highliner
Fish2-2.gif

I make sure I rinse all the gear I used that day in fresh water in the sink at home. When I'm done I hang it on the dish rack (my wife loves that) to air dry before putting it all away in my tackle box. I've always used Brasso to clean my brass and copper spoons, although I don't use them that much anymore. But rinsing and drying definately helps.

Good luck.

quote:Originally posted by tortuga
Is there a liquid solution to store spoons in or do you have to clean them after every use?
Commercial guys used to use something that has a name like Hydrotone it was a reddish solution if you're on the Island Trotac might still have some or Nikka here on the mainland.

Or it might not be available anymore given the state of the troll fishery.[V]

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

I just let the salt water eat them away...
then i have a reason to go out & buy new ones !
:D

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Laugh out Loud:D:D

i always keep a 1 gallon pail of fresh water on the boat with a rag in it so that i can rinse my gear and also wash down a windshield or anything else
[8D][8D]

I clean my lures flashers hootchies and hooks in lemon joy dish soap and rinse well to get the saltwater off and the smelly jelly or whatever esle i use for scent. keeps things from rusting and gets rid of the rancid smell from old scent on the lures.
More Fish Please!:D

CLR works like a hot damn on all gear including swivels. I always keep a can of wd40 and a towel to shine up spoons before they go down.

Back