Spoon leader quick change

upload_2017-3-15_10-40-3.jpegupload_2017-3-15_10-40-3.jpeg

I like the quick change and will typically fish spoons with a dummy flasher. You guys seem to think the typical snap swivel (quality swivel and clip) isn't good for some reason. What is the issue with something like this?
Are you guys worried a fish will straighten that connection out? I would think the leader will break well ahead of the metal straightening / failing.

Too flimsy for the ocean. You can get away with those in freshwater, not the chuck. I won't even use those in lakes, because I have lots of smaller duo locks as well.

View attachment 31917View attachment 31917

I like the quick change and will typically fish spoons with a dummy flasher. You guys seem to think the typical snap swivel (quality swivel and clip) isn't good for some reason. What is the issue with something like this?
Are you guys worried a fish will straighten that connection out? I would think the leader will break well ahead of the metal straightening / failing.
I agree with TheBigGuy. I have had those versions fail on Northern Pike. Each time you open them they get a little weaker and that particular version is probably the weakest out there. On another note, having the bearing swivel that close to the spoon inhibits the action of the light trolling spoons that we use for salmon. Do a test and see for yourself. The spoon will react more freely without that swivel. Place that swivel up 5' or so away and either tie direct to the spoon or use a quality snap (no swivel). Just relating my findings...

Is the 150lb duolock necessary or can we get away with an 85lb version? Any recommendations on where to buy Rosco branded duolocks without have to buy 200+

Heavier is better and it's not that much larger.

Mullet Gutter on EBay as linked sells 100 lots everything else is Chinese made or the shipping charges are So High it's stupid.
Ok thanks. Ya I went to that link and it says temporarily sold out... guess I will have to wait.

I use these for all my connections. Fish goes in the net bonk, un-clip leader, new leader goes on, you're fishing again immediately.

View attachment 31918
I love McMahons too. They will never weaken or break. They are virtually bulletproof. I use them on all my heavy bottom gear. The only thing about them I don't like is they are sometimes hard to open, especially if your fishing in cold weather.

Thought I'd post this little idea I had. Taking this thread and the dacron trailing hook method for spoons I made up a prototype for a quick change hoochie system. Looking for some feedback.

150# downrigger braid (I have no dacron on hand) a 5/0 owner hook and a Mustad swivel (pointed head for ease).

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/the-trailing-hook-method/amp/ Except I used a figure8 knot to complete the loop.

I then pulled the swivel eye through the hoochie, and voila. Attach with a duolock and some leader and it's ready to go.

I haven't tested this at all, and it might not work, but it's worth cleaning up the tackle box a bitIMG_20170315_202926932.jpg IMG_20170315_204011161_HDR.jpg

I am planning on tying up some of my 8 1/2 - 10 inch Halibut hoochies in a similar manner. I was going to tie tandem bait hooks using kevlar cord. The cord just arrived today, so I haven't had a chance to experiment yet.

Thought I'd post this little idea I had. Taking this thread and the dacron trailing hook method for spoons I made up a prototype for a quick change hoochie system. Looking for some feedback.

150# downrigger braid (I have no dacron on hand) a 5/0 owner hook and a Mustad swivel (pointed head for ease).

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/the-trailing-hook-method/amp/ Except I used a figure8 knot to complete the loop.

I then pulled the swivel eye through the hoochie, and voila. Attach with a duolock and some leader and it's ready to go.

I haven't tested this at all, and it might not work, but it's worth cleaning up the tackle box a bitView attachment 31920 View attachment 31921

Sounds interesting, but wondering if the duolock connection will impede the action of the hootchie?

I am planning on tying up some of my 8 1/2 - 10 inch Halibut hoochies in a similar manner. I was going to tie tandem bait hooks using kevlar cord. The cord just arrived today, so I haven't had a chance to experiment yet.
Where did you get the Kevlar Cord?

Ebay china special. Not something you see in the stores round here. You don't need Kevlar for Salmon, but for Hali I figured better safe than sorry.

Sounds interesting, but wondering if the duolock connection will impede the action of the hootchie?
I would tie directly to the swivel to maintain the hoochies action, or connect with a loop if you want to do quick change ups.

i ordered the Gamakatsu tournament snaps mentioned in the videos above and they are tiny even the Large 80#. I tried putting one on a sandlance spoon that has a split ring and it was very difficult. They are certainly too small for me to use with any ease. The total length from end to end is 9/16 of an inch and 1/4" wide at the widest place

Last edited:
i ordered the Gamakatsu tournament snaps mentioned in the videos above and they are tiny even the Large 80#. I tried putting one on a sandlance spoon that has a split ring and it was very difficult. They are certainly too small for me to use with any ease. The total length from end to end is 9/16 of an inch and 1/4" wide at the widest place
It's Bass gear not good for much in the salt.

Back