Spoon leader quick change

big.griff

Was reading another post and am under the impression that some may use a snap or a snap swivel on the end of their leader so they can quickly change out spoons. Anybody doing this and how have the results been?

Thought of this to keep the box a little less cluttered with leaders tied to a bunch of different spoons but was hesitant as to what it would do to the action with the little extra weight.

I started premaking my leaders with a small Sampo swivel at one end and a Duo Lock at the other (5' to 6'). When the line gets any knicks in it, I just swap it out. Those little snaps in my opinion don't change the action at all. I have however tested using a snap-swivel and feel that it is just too clunky, especially for light trolling spoons...

Attachments

• Stainless Snap.jpg
    Stainless Snap.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 33
I started premaking my leaders with a small Sampo swivel at one end and a Duo Lock at the other (5' to 6'). When the line gets any knicks in it, I just swap it out. Those little snaps in my opinion don't change the action at all. I have however tested using a snap-swivel and feel that it is just too clunky, especially for light trolling spoons...
So you use the duolock on the spoon end I assume?

Yup, 25lb Fluro ending with a Duo Snap...I think that using too heavy line impedes the action a bit. I don't recall ever losing a fish due to line breakage on a spoon anyway.

Duolocks are definitely what you want to use if you plan on doing this with your spoons. Pay the extra amount for good high quality ones. Don't buy cheap ones they're not reliable. The important thing when using a snap on any lure is the connector must have an even rounded curve on the end. Many other types of connectors will ruin the proper action on a spoon or plug because they are oddly shaped. If they don't have a nice rounded curve they will throw the lures action off balance.

Duolocks are definitely what you want to use if you plan on doing this with your spoons. Pay the extra amount for good high quality ones. Don't buy cheap ones they're not reliable. The important thing when using a snap on any lure is the connector must have an even rounded curve on the end. Many other types of connectors will ruin the proper action on a spoon or plug because they are oddly shaped. If they don't have a nice rounded curve they will throw the lures action off balance.

What do you recommend?

5-6 feet of 30 lb. fluorocarbon with a high speed multi link barrel chain swivel at each end. Spoon end includes a duo lock clip. No bead chains anywhere, found they twisted line more than multi link barrel chain swivels. Leader clipped to spoon ring or directly to spoon, however they came. Hoochies tied separately with 30 lb. fuorocarbon then onto a solid ring, then hooked onto the flasher.

i started doing that last year,, makes for a cleaner tackle box with less tangled leaders.

What do you recommend?
I always used to buy the good US made ones sold by Luhr Jenson. They are in a few store still, but I don't see them very often now. Who knows if the Luhr Jenson stuff is still quality now, they still look decent. I have bought cheaper ones and they are crap. The cheap ones have a shiny stainless finish that peels off and the metal is crap. The good quality ones in stores have a dull matte gray finish and they are far more pricey.

I always used to buy the good US made ones sold by Luhr Jenson. They are in a few store still, but I don't see them very often now. Who knows if the Luhr Jenson stuff is still quality now, they still look decent.
The new LJ Duolocks are junk some genius had changed the design and cut a few millimeters here and few more there just to save a few pennies a thousand-Not Recommended.

IMGP3482_zps5f0176ce.jpg

If we do get out together this year I have some of the Roscos to give you since I bought a hundred you'll see the difference.

Luckily I stocked up big when the quality was good. Theirs a lot of junk out their. You don't want to skimp on your connectors it's not worth it. I use duo locks for all my Salmon gear, and McMahon snaps for the heavy bottom gear.

I should be out there wetting a line soon, so I'm sure I'll see you before long. Thanks DB.

Geez, a guy gets looking and I came across these. I think that it solves a bit of the problem with Duo Locks and that is every time it opens the metal gets weaker and more brittle until they eventually fail. Have a look at these from Gamakatsu, I may give them a shot...I've read several reviews and guys are super impressed with them...now to find them in Canada!

I can't speak to the quality of the current US made duo locks, but the old stuff was 100% reliable and did not weaken and break. I stocked up on them 20 or more years ago, and the ones I have left have been opened and closed countless times. Unfortunately, the manufacturing process for everything has gone downhill drastically since then.I have never lost a fish from a Duo Lock opening. If you're worried about that you can bend the clasp end a little tighter. It will be harder to open, but more secure.

I'm sure the Gamagatsu version is of good quality and very reliable.

Figure 8 snaps if you must. Definitely strong....have never had one fail on smaller fish. However, I don't know how I would feel about leaning on a 25 plus pounder with 30 pound test.

What I do is snip the spoon off and tie the next on.....and when on the West Coast or the Charlottes I used to snip the plugs off the lines...used to drive people nuts when I came back to the dock with rods in the holders and the tails flying from the large swivel wound up to the rod tip...did it so that people didn't steal the plug or figure out what colours I was using.

Figure 8 snaps if you must. Definitely strong....have never had one fail on smaller fish. However, I don't know how I would feel about leaning on a 25 plus pounder with 30 pound test.

What I do is snip the spoon off and tie the next on.....and when on the West Coast or the Charlottes I used to snip the plugs off the lines...used to drive people nuts when I came back to the dock with rods in the holders and the tails flying from the large swivel wound up to the rod tip...did it so that people didn't steal the plug or figure out what colours I was using.
Ha Ha!! Glad I'm not the only one

it wasn't about being unsportmanlike....more about stopping the theft of the plug by jealous anglers. I recall one day when one damn plug took 6 of 9 and the next day it took 3 of 4....boiled it down to colour... snipped it off as it was the only one I had.

Matched it with a hoochie...but the flasher was a drag...

I thought the pros tied on a ruby-eyed wiggler on the run in.
Sort of.
Many moons ago when my buddy was assistant fishing department manager at the fuel dock in Tofino he asked me to help him.
The owner got liquored up at the wholesalers trade show and bought a whole puke of these lures from South Africa I think called Grim Reapers?
Anyways we were hammering the big slabs at the wreck on big plugs with many tyees.
When I was coming back in I would cut the plugs off my lines and tie those ugly things on and come back to the fuel dock where I moored my boat.
The guys in their own boats would see our catch and the lures on my rods and go into the store and buy a bunch. They sold them all in a month and I got a steak dinner at the Schooner restaurant. :)

X3. My wife says I'm paranoid but I do it too.

Back