Splicing a through hull Transducer Cable?

Birdsnest

I have spliced it before with no problems but I now find myself in this stupid scenario. I have a north star unit(dont ever buy one) and I need a new transducer but a plastic one costs 330$ and a stainless one cost just about $600. All of these things are made by one company Airmar but they come with different jacks to fit the different makes of navigation electronics WHICH by the way are all owned by the same company, all of them. (that is my understanding I invite being corrected) So I have a burnt out plastic transducer and can replace it with the proper jacks for About $300 but I can get the same transducer for another make for $130. They are both 500 watt 50/200's but are they the same? can I splice the wires. I have cut into the old one and it has 3 wires one is uncoated like a ground wire?

Also is it necessary to insulate the stainless transducer from the aluminum.

Thanks for your time.

I was tempted to cut and shorten a 39 foot cable that came with my new transducer (17' boat). But I was specifically told by Airmar not to do this as it would somehow affect the signal transmission. I had a hard time believing this but didn't dare to try it in spite. Airmar does have each transducer for different sonar units. I am not sure if the difference is just the plug or if there are other critical modifications. I have an Airmar B744 for my HDS7 and I have noticed a significant performance difference when I accidentially chose the wrong spec model even of the B744 models in the given menu. So I would be careful trying to plug in a Humminbird or Raymarine model to a North Star sonar. Would be interested to hear if it did work though.
I would definitely insulate the two differing metals though. Avoid direct contact as much as possible.

Thanks for that. I ended up putting in the proper stainless unit with the proper insulating piece. The thing
sticks out almost a centimetre with that piece. That was very pricy but I hope to not have to do that ever again. Hopefully it works well. It sounds fantastic. New transducers always seem to have a very nice crisp tick sound.

Funny that you mentioned the tick sound. I didn't notice any ticks on my new one. Couldn't even feel anything when I put my hand underneath and yet it shows bottom in almost 1000' depth!??? Weird, isn't it? Are there some models where you can detect the sonar pulse?

Back