Spare battery

Dennis.t

My new to me boat has only one battery. Should I get a second one for a back up? What the wiring like to hook up? Should they be hooked up in tandem? Thanx guys

For sure.I'd put a Bluesea ACR unit in like I have on my D.E.. They're about $120.00 or so as I recall.Comes with a dual
battery switch, automatic charging relay,and instructions for wiring.Go to "www.bluesea.com" under "ACR" and check it out.The only other thing you need is the extra wiring,which should be marine grade tinned copper and simple to do. West Marine or a
similar store will carry everything you need.

^ seconded. The ACR distributes charging voltage to both batteries but isolates the starting battery whenno engines are running. Does the same as a battery switch but is automatic, you can't forget to change the switch position so no more flat starting battery.

^ seconded. The ACR distributes charging voltage to both batteries but isolates the starting battery whenno engines are running. Does the same as a battery switch but is automatic, you can't forget to change the switch position so no more flat starting battery.

Second that install one of those... Very simple sytem.

pull start kicker with an alternator. FTW!!

Not knowing the size of your boat or what power it has, and how you use your electronics makes it difficult to answer your question with any certainty. If you are using a lot of power with the engine shut down, stereo, on board lights, camping on board etc, then having two batteries makes sense. IMO if you are running a modern engine with a reasonable charge rate, and seldom shut it off when on the water, you should not need an extra battery. You can monitor your battery state of charge with your sounder, if it shows voltage, or with a stand alone gauge.
If the cost of an extra battery, with its associated wiring (200+$) gives you peace of mind then do it. The idea of a battery pack may be an alternative solution and is portable from boat to auto, should you need it come winter.
Maintaing your battery is important as well, bringing it up to full capacity after use, by charging it at home, keeping the fluid level in the cells topped up and keeping the terminals tight and corrosion free all contribute to prolonging battery life.

Gungadin is exactly right. I fish with one battery and have a battery pack backup. I run an electric downrigger, VHF, fishfinder, chartplotter and my trolling motor and main motor keep the battery perfectly charged when out on the water. If I had a bigger boat and did the stuff he mentioned (camping) then I'd get 2, but it's a 16 Double Eagle so one is all I need.

I tend to support all the points Gungadin and others have made. We really need more info though before truly recommending if you need a second battery.

In the end though if you are prepared to pay the costs associated with a second battery and then isolating and maintaining it properly you will get some peace of mind.

Not knowing the size of your boat or what power it has, and how you use your electronics makes it difficult to answer your question with any certainty. If you are using a lot of power with the engine shut down, stereo, on board lights, camping on board etc, then having two batteries makes sense. IMO if you are running a modern engine with a reasonable charge rate, and seldom shut it off when on the water, you should not need an extra battery. You can monitor your battery state of charge with your sounder, if it shows voltage, or with a stand alone gauge.
If the cost of an extra battery, with its associated wiring (200+$) gives you peace of mind then do it. The idea of a battery pack may be an alternative solution and is portable from boat to auto, should you need it come winter.
Maintaing your battery is important as well, bringing it up to full capacity after use, by charging it at home, keeping the fluid level in the cells topped up and keeping the terminals tight and corrosion free all contribute to prolonging battery life.
I recently acquired ,a new to me ,18 ft Hourston Glasscraft with a 140 hp 2 stroke Evinrude. Only electronics running when im on the water is my depth sounder. I plan on shutting the 140 hp off when trolling with my pull start 4 hp evinrude...

Does your kicker have an alternator? Even if it doesn't, if that's all you running, you'll probably be fine. But I'd get a battery booster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your kicker have an alternator?
4 h.p. evinrude? nope. 18' Glascraft, I'd go 2 batteries for sure. Keep one hooked up just for starting and the other as the house battery for Stereo, GPS, depth sounder, Downriggers, etc. I would really recommend you replace that 4 h.p. with a 6 or even an 8 h.p. with an alternator. Nothing says peac3e of mind like a trolling motor that is charging your batteries all the time, albeit at 6 amps or so. That little 4 h.p. may be able to get you to trolling speeds, but if you plan on WCVI trips, it will have a really hard time bucking swells and wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much for one of these?
if your not running a lot of electronics or rockin a big stereo that's what I would go with . They range 75-200 they come with all sorts of gadgets nowadays ie compressor flashlight usb drives etc

solo

if your not running a lot of electronics or rockin a big stereo that's what I would go with . They range 75-200 they come with all sorts of gadgets nowadays ie compressor flashlight usb drives etc

solo

Yeah, they go on sale regularly at Canadian Tire. They are pretty handy.

solo
I save rocking the big stereo for the homestead! Lol. Prefer peace and quiet on the water! Lol. Just be running my depth sounder when on the water...

Back