Sounder Problems

Whole in the Water

I've got a problem with my sounder and wonder if anyone out there can help me out. I have a Lowrance LCX 37c, dual frequency sounder/chartplotter that I bought last year and have used it less than a dozen times. I have two problems with it:

1) the sounder no longer works. It gives me a reading of 60 ft no matter what I do, and the transducer dosen't make the usual clicking/ticking sound. Is the transducer hosed? (I've heard that Lowrance has had some quality problems with their transducers lately.) Anyone else have any problem like this?

2) My GPS started losing and gaining signals off and on and then I would get a "GPS module not responding message". Anyone out there know anything about this?

I've tried to phone Lowrance and it takes forever to get talk to a real person. Thanks for any help on this.

Long live wild salmon!!!

"GPS module not responding message" had that and here is what I did to fix it. I took the plastic holder with glass inline fuses out and replace with a quality marine spade type fuses / holder. I used crimp on butt connectors and heat shrink on the connection. I cleaned or replace the connectors going into the fuse box. I used dielectric grease on all connections including the butt connector. You would be amazed what a little corrosion will do to your GPS/sounder. For your other problem have you tried resetting to factory defaults? There might also be a setting in your sounder that you can change from fresh water (default) to salt water after you do a reset. GLG

If your transducer was working properly before and the connection is tight, you probably hit something like a stick at high speed. A new transducer will probably solve your problem. Lowrance is generally pretty good so I'd see if your local dealer will give you a price break since you just bought one recently.

With your GPS, it sound like it's a connection problem or a broken wire in the antenna. Try "flicking" the antenna to see if it connects.

We've owned several Lowrance Sounders and GPS's without any major problems. However, if something goes wrong with the head unit, you'll end up tossing it in the garbage as they can't be repair (sealed unit - so I've been told).

Was out with a buddy on the weekend in his new boat with a fairly new Lowrance. Well it worked for about 30 minutes and packed it in. My Lowrance sounder/Gps worked for 2yrs and packed it in, $1000 down the drain. Lowrance said if i paid $400 they would replace it. I told them to stick it. Lowrance is crap..

Tournament Proven !

I wonder where all the failures are coming from. Is it in the head or the cabling? Do you guy’s put a multi meter on the 2 power connections at the end of the cable, before it goes into the head? Are your getting a least 12 to 12.8 volts? I must say they put some very light gauge wire with these units. They also warn you that all the extra cables should be coiled, secured and no tight corners. The one I worked on was a mess. It was not coiled, not well secured and the connections were bare wire twisted with black tape. After repairing most of the wiring on this unit I found the 2 fuses would lose power when you wiggled them. Ok, fixed that and the last 6 outings there have been no problems, but I have one more thing to fix. I am not getting any speed readings from the wheel thing. I will have to track that down but I suspect it’s some problem in the cable.

If any of you guys want to chuck your units I’ll take them. I might need a new wheel. Repairs, well maybe I’m just lucky. GLG

Fins -n- Skins that's a yup on quality.

Well CS thanks a lot.;)
I guess you didn’t get my esp mail.
Let me know if you get another.
GLG
BTW I like the new picture

Back