Sound Dampening Liners?

Whole in the Water

I have a welded aluminum boat. I'd like to lay something down in the shelves I have in the stern and the gunnels to cut down on the vibration noise when under power. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas for material I could line the shelves with? Some kind of waterproof, non rotting, rubber matting??? Thanks.

I have a welded aluminum boat. I'd like to lay something down in the shelves I have in the stern and the gunnels to cut down on the vibration noise when under power. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas for material I could line the shelves with? Some kind of waterproof, non rotting, rubber matting??? Thanks.

That ribbed vinyl runner material that you lay on floors is supposed to work good. I just learned that rubber can cause corrosion issues if moisture is left between it and the aluminum.

There is some stuff I installed inside a 2stroke top cowling.Comes in a sheet.Peel off to expose tacky side,the other side is thick foil.Not cheap stuff.Hotrodders use it in their builds to cut noise ..Lordco is where you can get it

That ribbed vinyl runner material that you lay on floors is supposed to work good. I just learned that rubber can cause corrosion issues if moisture is left between it and the aluminum.

Hi Sculpin. I was think of using this stuff as well. What kind of corrosion does it cause? If you cut ventilation holes in it would that work? What about using those Dri Dek tiles?

Thanks for your reply.

There is some stuff I installed inside a 2stroke top cowling.Comes in a sheet.Peel off to expose tacky side,the other side is thick foil.Not cheap stuff.Hotrodders use it in their builds to cut noise ..Lordco is where you can get it

It's called Brown Bread.

Hi Sculpin. I was think of using this stuff as well. What kind of corrosion does it cause? If you cut ventilation holes in it would that work? What about using those Dri Dek tiles?

Thanks for your reply.

The vinyl is fine I was informed about it from a boat builder on the AAB forum. Apparently the carbon in rubber causes galvanic action with the aluminum if left with moisture trapped between the two. I bought some of that vinyl runner material at a local home hardware and put it between the rubber and the tank.

Try Noxudal. Its a non toxic product that you can paint on. It converts noise and vibration into heat. Industrial plastics sells this product.

Try Noxudal. Its a non toxic product that you can paint on. It converts noise and vibration into heat. Industrial plastics sells this product.

paint on the noxudal,, then install matting,, i think you just helped me with my issue,, my zolatone has worn off my floor

Back