Sooke...wazzup now?

Well you have asked now ill answer i saw so many boats way out too far the fish have been sitting off of the tip of sec. only about a half mile out there sitting in the basin too I guess you didnt see the killer whales feasting like crazy in there just one of the reasons the basin is closed the fish are waiting to go up the sooke river.
Just like every where else if you want to catch fish look to where the guide boats go thats always a good indication, yesterday i bet we caught close to 30 fish and i was basically all by myself in closer to shore hope that helps.
good luck Wolf

Juan de One:that happened to me 2 weeks ago, only by the time I leaped off the seat, picked the rod out of the holder and woke up to the fact that I had to bust the line because I was never going to catch and release a porpoise, the little bugger had taken over 100 yards of line! Sure wakes you up doesn't it!

Wolf:Noticed that yesterday-I caught 6 close in but then was foolish enough to go out to where the fleet was, thinking they must be on the fish. After I discovered they weren't, I went back in to where I started. No more "grass is always greener' for me!
Tom

quote:
Definitely a great day to be on the chuck.

Had to work at it but hooked 10 hoes during the morning flood. Smallest...8 inches (**** load of shakers) and largest about 100lbs?!!!...

We got into a "school" of Dolls Porpoises which played around the boat for a couple of minutes when suddenly the starboard rod grenaded out of the downrigger. Screamed line like a 50lb. spring then one of the porpoises surfaced 50 yards behind the boat towing a flasher...SNAP, that was the end of that!

First time I've seen or heard of a porpoise hooking up on gear like that.
Once hooked a huge Coho, north island area and out of nowhere 2 porps came along each side of the boat, criss-crossed the transom and stole it from us. Fishing was REALLY hot thankfully and this just left us w/ a good memory that you cant get unless youre out there putin in the time.

Over 15 years of playing on the chuck, this was the only time its happened and it was 2 years ago. Good to know that its not only me w/ bad karma !

Edited by - Mr.Dean on 09/27/2004 10:24:36

You know, you're right, Wolf...we were either way out, or 100' from the beach. Off-shore 'cause it sounded like that's where most of the action had been all week, and in close because my wife has a thing about a really big fish we once caught/lost in the gap between Secretary and the point. When we're close in, we spend a lot of time going around the island within casting distance of the rocks. Coleen really wants to break the 40 pound mark - her best so far is 35 - and we've always found the biggest fish in tight against the beach .

I always look for guide boats, but only recall seeing one, and he was out past the second tideline. Since we were officially on a coho mission, and our experience out deep has always been good, we figured it was the place to be. Oh well, our boat is back in the water in Sidney for the winter, so we've decided we're going to put some serious effort into fishing here. After all, a couple of weeks ago someone caught a 41 at Fairfax, we just need to put in more time there.

Paul

Well you are right about springs 99% of the time they are in tight to the shoreline or on shelfs(constance,swiftsure etc.)I think the coho at this time of the year are closer to the river mouths sure there is some way out but i think the majority of them are in closer there getting ready to spawn, in the summer months there out in the 2nd and 3rd tide lines because there feeding and fattening up getting ready to spawn hope that helps dont give up in sooke yet there is still tons of fish to be caught but as soon as it rains then its history
Good luck Wolf

We had a similar porpoise adventure last year off Sooke(just about this time) except that the porpoise was caught on our downrigger cable. It just about tore the rigger right off the boat. Thankfully the cable snapped right at the clip. It was certainly an example of how things can go from nice and calm and relaxing to a frenzy in a very short time on the water.
By the way, we are planning a Sooke trip on Thurs-any advice? Are there still any springs around? We are planning on fishing primarily for coho but I wouldn't complain about a sring or two!

will let you know im out tommorow
Wolf

Hard day today found only 1 hatchery that got to the boat caught around 15 wild ones and lost some but the one we did get was a 19 1/2 hatch couldnt believe it and yes i tried to squezze it to 20 but it was what it was cool killer whale show today made the people forget fishing sucked when the whale passed right under the boat getting our sunglasses wet with blow spray because thats how close they were chat to you tommorow
Good luck Wolf

Wolf, we were out yesterday and it was slow, ! 10 lb hatch, and a 14 pound white spring, fished tight from Beechy to Secratary only 3 coho total to the boat. Then went out to the 600'. Whats with the crowd out there???

MADDDOG WHERES MY BEER???????????????

Went out last Thursday (between Beechey head and Secretary) and got skunked! just used an army truck hoochie behind a green flasher at around 70 feet and a #602 teaser head with a slip weight for the other rod (only had one downrigger). Can never tell which depth the slip weight is at.

we tried some mooching also, and jigging. Got a bite on the jig but thats it.

Maybe my hoochie leader length was too short?

30 inches is good?

any suggestions for tomorrow? morning slack tide around 10 would be good?

I'll give some input tomorrow night on what happened..

thanks,

Michael

Hey mike i use a 3 ft leader for my hoochies i have been using this really weird looking green one with a purple haze stripe on it and its been hammering them found the last couple of days that the coho were in that range(70) and even deeper was catching them at 109 ft the other day(friday) limited out but had to weed through a lot of wilds one thing to remember with coho fishing i cut across the current for you who know me i love fishing secretary ill start at a hundred ft of water then troll out to about 500 ft then turn around heading back in all the while not covering the same gps tract(criss cross pattern) remember where you catch the coho then focus on that area the other day i went back and forth and caught fish approx. at the same depth of water then they dissappered spent another hour looking for the school.
Hope that helps.
Good luck Wolf

Hi Wolf etc...

there were about 6 boats out around Secretary last night, a bit choppy. we got a wild coho on anchovie (put it back)at around 70 feet. Also got a 10 pound chum, also on anchovy (long leader 54 inches) at 81 feet. The bite was only around dusk (6 pm, ish). Trolled from 3:30 to 6 pm and got nothing. I did get these fish going 'across' the current like you said.

Also saw some Salmon jumping along the surface of the water so they are still out there.

Are the cohos still around all the way through October?

Michael

Hi Wolf etc...

there were about 6 boats out around Secretary last night, a bit choppy. we got a wild coho on anchovie (put it back)at around 70 feet. Also got a 10 pound chum, also on anchovy (long leader 54 inches) at 81 feet. The bite was only around dusk (6 pm, ish). Trolled from 3:30 to 6 pm and got nothing. I did get these fish going 'across' the current like you said.

Also saw some Salmon jumping along the surface of the water so they are still out there.

Are the cohos still around all the way through October?

Michael

As soon as some big rains come they will be gone maybe a week or so then we will concentrate on feeder springs in a month or so.

YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
started already slowing down from what i heard
Wolf

Any luck this weekend yet? Thinkin' of headin out tomorrow.

Heard the coho are a little scarce but there seems to be some feeders showing up already charter friend of mine was out for the last 2 days seems to be a lot of shakers also so check gear often
Good luck Wolf

Back