Sooke to Renfrew

Monaro21

Not that I would do this for sure and the weather would have to be very good but does anyone have any idea how long it would take to get from Sooke (around the bluffs) to Renfrew by boat? I have a 21' Monaro that has a cruising speed of about 34 mph (best for speed and gas)and can handle some good size water. With that said I would want the conditions to be perfect if I was going to try this.

Thanks for the help[8D]

I just created a route on Nobeltec for ya.. from Sooke Harbor entrance to the can boy out side Port San Juan entrance is 32.8 Nautical miles. I know of guys who make that run. I have never done it my self but it is very duable. I fish out from Sooke Harbor and we have gone up to Jordan River for halibut fishing.. if the weather is good its not that bad of a run.. from Jordan your basically half way to Renfrew.

Definitely depends on the water conditions. Flat calm do the math. 32 nautical miles and your boat does what? Add some wind wave and suddendly you can triple your travel time.

Sounds like a lot of fuel and run time on your motor.

Yes, definalty you have to watch the ocean conditions.. all things considered.. I often fish out of port renfrew in my friends boat there and when we go out to the Swifture bank to fish.. it is 20 NM one way ! from the Marine to some of the fishing grounds out on the bank.. so round trip it is over 40 NM. in off shore swells and often rough ocean conditions in a 20' Trophy.. given good ocean coditions the run from Sooke to Renfrew can be done if one wanted to.. most people just tow there boats to Renfrew. just have to take it slow on some of the rough grades..

Thanks for the info all. Normally I trailer to Renfrew but with the road being such a pain I thought I would look into other options. Once I am there we often go out to the bank so I am comfortable with the distance and the water conditions. I will probably just trailer up rather than take the chance with the ocean and the weather.

Thanks[:p]

I,ve done this run a couple of times every year for the last ten years,always in August.My 25 Wellcraft cruises @ 27 mph.From Victoria harbour it,s 2 1/2 hours,and from Sooke bluffs it,s 1 1/2 hours going west.My trip going home[east] is about 1/2 hour shorter,going with the weather.At least half the trips were in fog.Your boat is faster,and I,m sure rides as well,pick good weather day,s and there shouldn,t be any problem if your confident in your boat and your skills.If you run to Swiftsure, in those swells,this will be a piece of cake.

Yes have done this trip at well, right from the harbour entrance to Camper Creek 1hr 40minutes on a calm day and it was about 1hr 25 minutes back on the flood tide. It was a beautiful day. It's a nice trip on a good day. There should be lots in August, Looks like this week is a good week especially today.

cby

Back