Sooke river reports

The floss fest begins. There are still salmon in tidal waters. Let the boots struggling in low water reproduce. At least wait till the waters up.

Where do people generally fish the sooke River?
Generally they fish the semi-tidal staging pools and spawning beds accessed from easy trails of Phillips and Shambrook Drives. Flyfishing only. Pattern doesn't matter. It's fun at first but gets old soon.

I find the basin/flats to be much sportier. That said, the snagging crew has been spreading out the last couple of years and has made the flats less appealing. Might need to break out the kayak.

I find the basin/flats to be much sportier. That said, the snagging crew has been spreading out the last couple of years and has made the flats less appealing. Might need to break out the kayak.
Yeah. I know. A few years ago you only had to stay away from Billings Spit to stay away from the snaggers. The pink buzz bomb, wade to the arm pits crew are everywhere now. Got to the point that I left there angry and decided it's probably not the best way to use my valued free time.

Yeah. I know. A few years ago you only had to stay away from Billings Spit to stay away from the snaggers. The pink buzz bomb, wade to the arm pits crew are everywhere now. Got to the point that I left there angry and decided it's probably not the best way to use my valued free time.
Yep. I've had a few "conversations" out there. Never goes well. I find that the kayak (or pontoon boat in years past) allows me to stay out beyond the reach of the arching pink buzzbombs on the flood tide if I'm determined to fish the area. Hopefully this year Billings will be good enough to keep the majority of the yoinkers amused and away from the other spots.

Back