Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Lol, what can I say Doug!? You stink! That's why people turn around when they come close to you! Lol
We had a great day off Secretary today. Kept 5 Coho - biggest just over 10#. 4 out of 5 were clipped. Lost a couple or three more and released 2 small springs. Plus a humpy show again. My friend and his young son from Germany had a blast! All on hardware or glow hootchie, most bites came around 90' but had fish at 110' and 60' as well. No crazy action but steady.

As he Americans mark most or all their hatchery fish logic dictates that there should be more marked fish as you get closer to their border.

"hatchery fish logic" isn't that an oxymoron... :D

As he Americans mark most or all their hatchery fish logic dictates that there should be more marked fish as you get closer to their border.

yep, head for the RAYCON. they are kegged up right along the border in deep water. we were picking them off at 40' on the braid with my pilchard fly outfishing the standard fare, glow white hootchie. help us clean all of these damn hatchery fish out before they get any chance to spawn. side benefit is the females are stuffed with eggs right now.

Out today again from 8:30am till 1:00pm, but real slow for us. Got two hits in the first hour at 85 feet in 550 of water on a silver spoon. Kept one wild of 6lb and released a smaller one, then nothing for more than two hours. Finally got three more hits in the last hour a couple of Km out from Secretary in 350 of water but all three threw the hook (Krippled K and Apex).

Fantastic humpie whale show today though. Two or three of them foolin' around. I assume there must be a lot of food for them out there since they have been around for so long in pretty much the same area???

Englishman...if you check your sounder you will notice huge clouds of baitfish down around the 300 foot plus depth. The bait stays on the screen everywhere you go. The whales are diving down there to feed and is why they are hanging around.

On tues there was a sweet tide line that brought the krill up in an up welling... 6+ whales on the surface feeding all around us. Got to look down the throats of a couple, from wayyyy too close, surprised they didn't snatch any of tigerprawns gear :eek:
There were false bottom readings in the 2-300ft range,must be a tonne of the critters down there.

We had 2 of them come up within spitting distance off our port side. I wasn't aware they were around us at the time so kinda startled me at first. Customers loved it.

Last kick at the can today, before the rainy weather starts this weekend. Kinda slow but managed 2 hatch and 1 wild coho, all hits on bait and at 115' in 400' water off Sooke harbour.

Out fishing with the father in law. 9:30-12:30, lots of fish on the sounder close in around Secretary, a few soft strikes, not biting and sticking. picked up a 8 pound wild (50ft anchovy) and father in law picked up the first winter of the season (90 ft spoon). Not a lot of action that we saw, although the humpback was playing around still. Still fun, great to be out on the water! Xena

Try fishing near the US border. Was hot today straight out from Secretary from 10:30 to 11:30. Huge bite on for wilds...few or no hatcheries but many of the wilds are pushing 10lbs. 90 to 60 feet with bait and spoons was hot but in the bite it didn't matter. Caught 2 on the surface behind the boat setting the gear. Worth the run!

Just an FYI for the group,

I have now got back a some letters from DFO, for the Coho heads I returned. The hatchery they have ALL come from is Clark Creek Hatchery WA. Brood year 2009 without exception...
Best regards to our brothers on the other side, your efforts are appreciated.

Cheers
RIch

Try fishing near the US border. Was hot today straight out from Secretary from 10:30 to 11:30. Huge bite on for wilds...few or no hatcheries but many of the wilds are pushing 10lbs. 90 to 60 feet with bait and spoons was hot but in the bite it didn't matter. Caught 2 on the surface behind the boat setting the gear. Worth the run!

yep, right where i said they would be, all kegged up. 'the run'????? it only about 8NM for me, must be about the same for you. you make it sound like its the other side of the moon.

Yesterday 0800-1200 on the water, 10 Coho to the boat, biggest was 10lbs. Lost double that to an over eager new guy.

All off the bluffs in 500+ft, no hits deeper than 50ft

Last edited by a moderator:
Got out from 330 to 530 yesterday and from 9-1030 today (don't ask.........busy dad weekend) got a couple wilds both days. Zero hatch. A couple nm off secretary on spoons. Lots of shakers too, the odd one that was legal ( they all released well). Kids liked the humpbacks.all in all a pretty fine weekend. Lots of ho's still around.

Oh ya, almost forgot..... Smoked a half submerged log just outside whiffin spit. Hard to see in all the rain :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Well finally some serious rain for all the salmon staging for the rivers. This is great news lets hope it keep up. Well I am done for the season time to winterize the boat, final two trips out were good. 1st trip 2 hatch and 1 Wild about 10lbs, Last trip out 1 hatch (Which had tapioca disease, white cysts in the meat) and 1 wild about 10lbs. Both days were great. All fish taken in close 100-300 ft depth, 65 ft, All on bait on on green heads. Coho love greeeeeeennnnn!!! I agree with some people you don't need to go out far for coho. They are all over the place. But with the recent rains they are moving on. Overall it has been a pretty good season of fishing. I was not able to get up to Renfrew this year 1st time in like 10 years disappointed but I heard it was not epic fishing up there just good. No Tyee springs this year for me but did have a couple of 27lber and 28lbers. Lots in the 15-25 lb range. Coho fishing was specatular this year so sooke. Oak Bay fishing was good as well early in spring / summer. To all you fisherman that brave the winter fishing Good luck, I do not have a boat with any cover or heater otherwise I would be out there.

A couple of things before I leave: 1) if you going to use the new sooke boat launch don't take up 2 spots cause you don't know how to park your trailer and don't take up spots intended for small boats. All spots are marked by footage, figure it out. Not hard. 2) lets hope the bashing stops on these forums and more fishing reports are posted.

Cheers,

Cby

Back