Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Hello all,

My name is Adam and i'm brand new to this forum as well as Salmon fishing. I have been out a number of times with my friend and usually find myself in the customer role, if that makes sense.. Regardless, I bought a Diawa M-one rod reel combo (9 ft rod) as well as some 30 lb test and some gear. Got a purple flasher, green betsey flasher, tiger prawn/bloody nose/glo green teaser heads and all the needed equipment.

I am going out on Monday with a buddy. We are renting a boat from Pedder Bay and have heard that we should be headed to the "kelp bed", "Church Rock", and "Trap Shack?" I know how to use riggers and set up the bait etc. I know how to catch and clean fish no problem.

I guess i'm looking for advice. My friend and I are both inexperience salt water fishermen. I read up on trolling ettiquite to ensure no fouls. I heard that green always works and we're going to be using anchovies. I also heard that 35-100 feet are the usual depths. As far as I know, we can keep 2 fish, but I'm not positive on the sizes etc. I know I can find this info at the dock/ my license but thought I would introduce myself and maybe get some words of wisdom before we head out! Thanks for listening to my rant.

Regards,

Adam.

Adam,
All those places you mentioned are in Area 20 and here are the current regulations:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.htm

To sum it up, if you hook into a salmon chances are it will be a Chinook, Coho or a Sockeye
Chinook - you can keep 2 per person. They have to be over 45cm and only one can be over 67cm.
Coho - you can keep 2 HATCHERY coho per person over 30 cm. Wild coho you can't keep.
Sockeye - Can't keep
Total salmon per person is 4.

I would print off pages 16 to 23 of the following document to help you determine between a "wild' and a "hatchery" and the types of salmon - http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/SFG-GPS/SFGtidal-GPSmaree-2012-eng.pdf

Tip: If you got a salmon with white gums and you are not sure if it is a coho or a sockeye, run your finger along its gums. You feel sharp teeth its a coho, small nubs its a sockeye.

Good luck and don't come in with a close fish or you're going to tick off a lot of fisherman haha!

Shaun

Hello all,

My name is Adam and i'm brand new to this forum as well as Salmon fishing. I have been out a number of times with my friend and usually find myself in the customer role, if that makes sense.. Regardless, I bought a Diawa M-one rod reel combo (9 ft rod) as well as some 30 lb test and some gear. Got a purple flasher, green betsey flasher, tiger prawn/bloody nose/glo green teaser heads and all the needed equipment.

I am going out on Monday with a buddy. We are renting a boat from Pedder Bay and have heard that we should be headed to the "kelp bed", "Church Rock", and "Trap Shack?" I know how to use riggers and set up the bait etc. I know how to catch and clean fish no problem.

I guess i'm looking for advice. My friend and I are both inexperience salt water fishermen. I read up on trolling ettiquite to ensure no fouls. I heard that green always works and we're going to be using anchovies. I also heard that 35-100 feet are the usual depths. As far as I know, we can keep 2 fish, but I'm not positive on the sizes etc. I know I can find this info at the dock/ my license but thought I would introduce myself and maybe get some words of wisdom before we head out! Thanks for listening to my rant.

Regards,

Adam.

Adam, out of those, stick down the bloody node and glo green - if you are out first light, take a flashlight and charge them before you drop them down (just shine the light on them for a few seconds) - start your line shallow early 30-50' and close to shore, drop it deeper as the morning goes on to 50-70, even try 70-100 if no luck a little further out (do what the other boats do!). If the boats don't have depth sounders though, be very careful with trap and church - both have nasty reefs. Kelp bed on the right side of Pedder entrance is 'easier' fishing and less busy, but traditionally not as good. Perhaps avoid the traffic at Trap and focus on Church (main reef is just inside of the east side of the rock, so you need to turn well before if you are in Whirl Bay). Perhaps as well, try Aldridge Point - you can fish along the kelp inside the bay with no problems and little traffic. Remember don't troll fast - 2 to 2.5mph is best for springs.

Thats the basics as far as I'm concerned. Good luck.

In additional, if you don't get any springs after hours of trollin'. You can try jigging with buzzbombs, or stingers close to kelps inside Pedder Bay. You may hook a nice spring..you never know. I have done that before after endless hours of trolling with no success but jigged up a spring at last minute!!!

I have got to say, thank you!! I didn't expect such a response so it's much appreciated. I am going out on Monday so I will let you all know how it went. If i'm lucky i'll have pics to share :D

Regards,

Adam.

Don't worry, we'll take care of Adam. The rental boats have been doing OK so far in the bay including a few this morning. Good to see newbies and families getting in to fish. Nothing that huge, except for the smiles:)

We hit the Trap for the AM bite today dodging the lightning and thunder on the way there. Pretty weird- at one point you could actually feel the static electricity in the air. Kind of spooky.

Got a 23 and 12, and lost another nice one but didn't see a lot of other action. Had to be back to work by 10 so maybe we missed the bite?

CP

Cut Plug I assume you work at PB Marina? Who should I be looking for when I swing by? :D Also, the rentals do have depth finders!

Decided that Church is the place for us. Not too close/far and could possibly head to Aldridge. Just brined my chovies with salt/water/powdered milk/pro-cure bait brite! Ready to go.

Fished this am got 2 a 18 lbs wild an a 12 hatch all on purple haze anchovies fished cj special all day nothing the electricity in the air was nuts never felt anything like it before . The antena was buzzing so loud I unhooked it then got shocked by 24 volts it was messed up

Adam:

This is a fishing reports thread and I'd like to respect that. My bad for responding in the way I did. Please call Pedder Bay directly for further info.

CP

Last edited by a moderator:
Got out for the first fish of the year this morning. Hit secretary starting at 0900, nothing till about 1030 and then all hell broke loose, caught 5 springs, all teens, and 2 coho and lost two more at the boat in the next 1.5 hours. Had to pull the plug at 1215 in the middle of the best bite Ive ever seen. Like someone else said, no winning combo on gear or depth, just good action on the bait.

lines in @5:30am, Trap Shack, foggy, a little choppy to start, not a snif for springs. 2 hours later, the first of 5 wild coho. 1 spat the hook, 4 gaff releases, the first two the fish looked rough, deep hook set. the second two, clean release and fiesty fish! Bloody DFO, just let me have two fish, any kind, and I'd go home, I saw plenty of boats with double headers (we had 2 as well), how many wild do we release to get the elusive hatch-job? How many really survive? We quit fishing, we didn't want to risk catching another wild. Not much fun today..........:(

Got out for the first fish of the year this morning. Hit secretary starting at 0900, nothing till about 1030 and then all hell broke loose, caught 5 springs, all teens, and 2 coho and lost two more at the boat in the next 1.5 hours. Had to pull the plug at 1215 in the middle of the best bite Ive ever seen. Like someone else said, no winning combo on gear or depth, just good action on the bait.
Good for you Ragu.
I have a friend who fished Secretary and always gets Springs when they are there. They fished from about 9 am thru the flood til about 2 pm and he told me he never saw a spring caught. He too had some action on Coho but "noda" on Springs and didn't anything that resembled a Spring over 10 pounds caught.
Did anyone else see a bite like Ragu had at Secretary on Friday??
Just curious as we plan to go out tomorrow to Possesion - Secretary or maybe just Oak Bay?
It's not that big an area, Ragu must have really had the winning combination!
Good for you Ragu.
Just curious as we plan to go out tomorrow to Possesion - Secretary but after my buddies report thought maybe just Oak Bay?

Ya pretty shocked at how many people are netting putting in the boat than chucking back wild coho out there. Its not that hard to look over the side of the boat for a fin...

X2

Saw so many nets on little coho then a few minutes later torpedo'd back in the water, people need to learn how to use a gaf...when its obviously a coho i get the gaf, easy to release, i have a look for a adapose, either quick hook release or gaf to the head, no fumbling around with the net....

lost a decent king this morning....spooled several yards..then gone! released small hatch spring and several wild cohoes. one hatch coho - bait

not a lot happening in Sooke today. Not sure about anyone else, but, all I saw was small coho, everywhere...no Springs

Was out from 6:30-11:30 hit a nice chubby 12 pounder at the head right off the hop and then an 18 around 10 am and then the coho went crazy and we hit about a dozen or so. and called it a day.

both springs on bait and most coho on hootchies.

-Steve

A few springs on and was able to scratch up 1 couldnt keep the gear down with all them coho managed a limit of them though and got to admit nice size already good bail out fish,
Lippy came down for ahhhh "pop" and to personally give me 25 cents LOL LOL
had some good laughs on the boat... thanks again for the vist lippy was fun now we need fishfly to anty up and have a pop with him .....

wolf

Back