Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Started at Otter first thing and hammered away to no avail for a few hours until a 25 lb hali from out of nowhere broke the ice. Saw only one other long release.

Stopped at Secretary on the way back at noon and picked up two nice mid teenagers in about half an hour to turn things into a pretty sweet morning.

Could have been another year where the derby winning fish keeps getting smaller. Some of you might not be noticing, but with over 40 years fishing June's in Sooke its getting scary that a 20 pound June caught fish is now what a 30 used to be.
Roy, I can separate politics from data. It is beaurocrats that make bad decisions or lie not the data. Think of a hockey game...the ref can be lousy one night and call a bad goal. It would stand unless there was a clear video replay (data). Don't confuse data with the guys doing the lying or playing politics. The data is the only thing that could prove you right and them wrong.Without it you are SOL either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was slow for us today. Dad got a 10 pounder, and we missed a few other strikes. Maybe tomorrow!

-Steve

P.S Lipripper is bad luck!
Steve, even guides have a bad day..when it happens you can't blame it on the guests :p

Out with buddy Rob H..boxed 3 - a teen burger was the largest. A couple of decent hit/runs kept us wanting more. Hoochy,herring,chovy!!! all did the job :)

I was bout to beg you for a stick of meat...

It was weird fishin with solely gear... One O'clock FFG pulled the rat out of the hat.

I think it was about noon that I mentioned that I would go back to the pics in this thread to make sure they weren't photoshopped.

FFG and Big T do really well and it was cool to see how they do it.... much different than myself.

Thanks again guys..The boat is pretty sweet..:cool:

Ran up pass the light and anchored for hali. got 50lb and 15lb and then trolled all the way back to the bluffs. Had 1 salmon on for a moment. Wow slow for salmon today:( Maybe better tomorrow.:eek:

It was a good time. And im glad you like the rig. We sure do enjoy it.

I should have kept up the speed. Woulda killed them. :p

We will probably go out and bang a few good'ers in the AM and all will be forgotten!

-Steve

was out at 6am to put the crab traps down in beecher bay,,headed directly to secretary,,the rook had about a 15lber right up to the boat then it got off,,trolled secretary for about 2 hours in the fog then we headed over to the trap shack and in about 45 minutes nailed a 28.6lb chinook,,nice fish,good battle,,that was it for hits ,,went to pick up the crab traps,,a few rock crab that i released and not any dungy's,,that was it for the day,,going up to china creek on thursday to fish for sockey,crab and prawns,,i will report our catch next monday on here,,tight lines boys,,

About 10 boats this morning off possession (all local vets ) where in the hell have all the fisherman gone?
If this continues I wonder how our local marinas wll fare? These facilities are the backbone of this great fishery we have in our backyard.

Great fishing last couple weeks, lets hope it keeps up.
Tight Lines!

The forecast today was for it to blow, so myself and i am sure others stayed home. The number of boats has triple since last weekend and some were probably waiting to see what was going to happen with the regs. Also a bunch went to Renny for the derby, so enjoy it while you can, because it will only get busier. Let the gong show begin.

Considering the good fishing, it's been super quiet. Thurs, fri a handful of boats, sat was the same. Sunday was foul with more boats in one spot hiding out of the blow. Slower fishing yesterday, and the doggies are stupid thick on the Hali grounds, even at the race. Saw the longline boat move gear west too.

The wind has been keeping me off the water. I'm a bit new to sooke, so i dont want to get myself into trouble. I was out last friday, but the weekend didnt look good. I'm looking forward to getting out again soon.

The wind has been keeping me off the water. I'm a bit new to sooke, so i dont want to get myself into trouble. I was out last friday, but the weekend didnt look good. I'm looking forward to getting out again soon.

The wind is what gets you into trouble and most of us do this for fun and do not need to be out there when it’s nasty although you can get trapped way out West and have to fight to get back. I don’t much care for nasty following seas, I am a bit of a weather sissy and don’t like to go too far unless the wind predictions are very good.

Once in a while rare circumstances can make coming into Sooke Harbour around the lighthouse interesting. There is not much room there with the gravel bank on one side and the kelp beds and jagged rocks on the other. If the wind is coming from the southwest straight at that point the shape of the bay funnels the waves and the increasingly shallow water cause the waves to stack up. They can then sometimes run into a very fast ebb tide from a very high tide as all that water races out of the Sooke harbour and basin through that narrow channel and hits the stacked up waves head on with the following sea trying to push your stern around and the boat sideways.

Did it once and did not enjoy the experience and was very happy to get around the corner. It is amazing how much smaller your boat can feel in those circumstances, at least to us wind and wave sissies. If you are out in deeper water where the waves are not stacked and the tide rip is not there you may not notice that it is going to be worse when you go in.

Being a wind/wave sissy I watch for it coming up and try to fish close to home if I think it may come up and be from a direction that point the waves right at the lighthouse and not be protected by the land mass such as with wind coming from a more westerly or easterly direction.

Wind can be funny somtimes. Like today for instance it was blowing 26 westerly at race and we still fished fairly easily in the bay and bedfords and alderidge. Somtimes you have to deal with those conditions or you will never get out there.

Out yesterday 5:30am-noon had 5, 8-10 pounders on herring and hootchie and one really good one at the head on anchovy.

Out today from 11-2 hit one at 100 ft on a nasty boy origional coyote and had one other strike at 59 ft on herring.

-Steve

Was out on Saturday near the head, lost a 35+lb spring to a fricken seal just as we got it up to the boat. Fought the seal for an hour hoping we would win, but should have cut the line instead of wasting all that time. Did manage to pick up a 28 pound ling though.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 168
Frigging seals! If you start up your main engine and stay right on top of the seal so that your line is right below the boat, he will let go of the fish to surface and breath. He'll come back for it but if you keep on him you have a chance. Sorry...advice sucks when it's too late. Nice ling though! Did ya get it on that greenling?

Yep we danced with the seal at Possession on Sunday as well. played the fish for 10 mins to the back of the boat and bam. Tried the free spool trick to let the salmon run away from the seal but it did not work. No Dice

Back