Sooke in May!!!

G

GRIFF

I'm so excited. I just found out that the Misses and I are renting a house (w/dock) in Sooke May 14-20th!!!

This will be our first trip out there and we were wondering the best techniques and locations for springs. We do not have downriggers (yet) and probably won't have them by this time. Can you just mooch with a weight? We also have some divers that work well off the mouth of the Columbia. Any insights? Also where is the best place to get bait, or do you use lures?

We really value the knowledge shared on this board so...

THANKS!
Griff

P.S. How's hali fishing in may?

Maddog said it, without downriggers its going to be pretty hard if not impossible to fish for springs, even with downriggers it can be a real battle with the current.

That way of fishing is not all that effective here,it will work,but like maddog and poppa said, downriggers are the standard off sooke.The currents are just too strong.Locations? not hard just look for the boats. DAN

Not long enough of a stay! but to make the best of it, I would fish
w/anchovy behind flasher of the week (Eagle-Eye has the hot picks). Take out a Local Guide, check this site for fishing info, maps etc..
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/index.html Hit on B.C. ....then Sooke or regular info http://www.sooke.org/
Yup,I'll still be tryin on the bottom, you can mooch but it doesn't catch many fish. Not deep enough,need 120 ft. or better..Good Luck!!
ps Watch for Rockfish Conservation Areas off Sooke
try search in upper rh corner on 'Sooke'

I agree with all on having downriggers dont waist your time with out them.Better off to take a guide if your not familiar with the area.Also its a good idea to make sure you have good charts aboard Sooke basin can be a little tricky in some areas at all tides.Good luck BEAK

Yes, power dredging the Sooke Basin is NOT a good way to start out. But once you get out there, fishing is pretty darn good, and in May, although the season is just getting started, you have a pretty good chance of putting dinner in the box. I fish a little farther west from you at that time, and it starts getting good there as well. And whatever you do, DO NOT forge crab and shrimp traps, the basin can be really darn good for those as well!

Thanks for all of the responses!

I was thinking about going out with a charter capt. one day and then trying to decide wether or not to try it with out the riggers.

Anyone ever try the Old Salty divers? We use those in the Columbia where there is lots of current and I can get them to run about 50+ ft. Will this be deep enough? I have heard that the springs will run closer to the surface in the early morning.

Any suggestions on areas to prospect for halibut?

Thanks again!!!
GRIFF:D

50' is deep enough but, you're going to suffer by not being able to cover deeper depths - morning they do tend to be shallower then later on.

quote:Originally posted by GRIFF

Thanks for all of the responses!

I was thinking about going out with a charter capt. one day and then trying to decide wether or not to try it with out the riggers.

Anyone ever try the Old Salty divers? We use those in the Columbia where there is lots of current and I can get them to run about 50+ ft. Will this be deep enough? I have heard that the springs will run closer to the surface in the early morning.

Any suggestions on areas to prospect for halibut?

Thanks again!!!
GRIFF:D

Old Salties work well in the CR and for tuna fishing you will need riggers and 15lb pancake weights to get down 100-200ft as mentioned above.

August - bring your salty's

How about buzz bombing Peddar Bay kelp beds? That still effective these days? I know I used to do that a long time ago with success and had heard fishing reports within last 5 years of people having success with the bombs.....

That would be the kelp beds on the right side of the bay (when you are going out from the marina) just before it wraps around the corner. Its a bit of a haul from sooke, but I would have thought the best chance without a rigger as you aren't fighting a hoard of boats trolling around you like you would be in sooke (keeping in mind as well if you were trolling without rigger you run high risk of getting chopped by others with riggers).

You could also go for a nice big ling in beechey bay - I caught around a 20lb there last year.

Back