Sooke fishing Master Needed

Vincep

Hi ,I'm new to Vancouver Island ( got all my Fishing and crabbing licence for the 2021 year ) from Calgary dont hold that against me lol. Any ways i've tried my hand on crabbing in Sooke and got great tips from the crabbers out there . I'm just wondering if someone would take me under their wings and show me the basics of salmon fishing , i don't have a boat so it might be just of the Pier or any good local spots .

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Hi ,I'm new to Vancouver Island ( got all my Fishing and crabbing licence for the 2021 year ) from Calgary dont hold that against me lol. Any ways i've tried my hand on crabbing in Sooke and got great tips from the crabbers out there . I'm just wondering if someone would take me under their wings and show me the basics of salmon fishing , i don't have a boat so it might be just of the Pier or any good local spots .

Any Help would be greatly appreciated
Shore fishing for salmon generally picks up in August unless you're willing to travel a bit (it's closed for springs until August anyway). Billings Spit will see coho and chum travel by starting in September and through October. There's fishing in Renfrew in September and October. There are also some shore fishing spots such as Otter Point and Beechy Head (east sooke) where people occasionally catch springs. If you go to these spots, the chances are decent that you can chat with people and learn a thing or two. That said, search the forum first. There's a lot of info already on here.

Shore fishing for salmon generally picks up in August unless you're willing to travel a bit (it's closed for springs until August anyway). Billings Spit will see coho and chum travel by starting in September and through October. There's fishing in Renfrew in September and October. There are also some shore fishing spots such as Otter Point and Beechy Head (east sooke) where people occasionally catch springs. If you go to these spots, the chances are decent that you can chat with people and learn a thing or two. That said, search the forum first. There's a lot of info already on here.
Hey Thanks for that Info Deepaaaar looks like i'll be exploring all those sites and pick my favourate this summer , cheers

Get a kayak if you can't have a boat. Even a basic kayak will let you get to some crabbing spots (willows beach, spirit bast)

Also a kayak will give you a chance at salmon in spirit bay and Victoria waterfront by the breakwater (on calm days)

Get a kayak if you can't have a boat. Even a basic kayak will let you get to some crabbing spots (willows beach, spirit bast)

Also a kayak will give you a chance at salmon in spirit bay and Victoria waterfront by the breakwater (on calm days)
Just make sure you are familiar with currents and weather patterns before leaving the shore...

100% agree. I picked up a kayak last summer and it completely changed my approach. Highly recommended. It's been a big investment (lots of associated gear), but totally worth it. Lots of safety considerations, though.

Just make sure you are familiar with currents and weather patterns before leaving the shore...
Just to be clear I am only recommending a kayak for very calm/sheltered areas especially if you are new to it. Also wear a floating/waterproof VHF and know how to call for help if needed.

That being said crabbing off a kayak in spirt bay, sook basin or other areas in Victoria like oak bay/willows beach can be good. As for salmon fishing you can catch fish in kayak off east sooke park, spirit bay if you stay will in the bay and only go on calm days.

I would not recommend trying to go out into the straights in the strong currents especially in a non peddle kayak. I fished out of an advanced elements simi-rigid inflatable and got into crab and fish with no issues but I was VERY cautious of the tides/winds/weather.

Just to be clear I am only recommending a kayak for very calm/sheltered areas especially if you are new to it. Also wear a floating/waterproof VHF and know how to call for help if needed.

That being said crabbing off a kayak in spirt bay, sook basin or other areas in Victoria like oak bay/willows beach can be good. As for salmon fishing you can catch fish in kayak off east sooke park, spirit bay if you stay will in the bay and only go on calm days.

I would not recommend trying to go out into the straights in the strong currents especially in a non peddle kayak. I fished out of an advanced elements simi-rigid inflatable and got into crab and fish with no issues but I was VERY cautious of the tides/winds/weather.
X2 on the peddle version, buddy fishes off Maui in one and you can buzz in them with not a ton of effort while being hands free. I would carry a small backup paddle though in event the flippers went down in addition to the other safety gear mentioned.

There's a FB group devoted to kayak fishing on VI. If you want to get into it, ping them and they'll help you get sorted on all the gear you'll need. It's a lot, but it's totally worth it.

Thanks guys for all the awesome tips ..i've already purchased an inflatable sea Kayak just looking for a life vest ..and then it'll be down to Sooke Basin ..cant wait

Cheers

Back