Sooke Etiquette

If someone cuts a me off and I lose a fish, I give them a talking to. If the same boat does it again, I'll bring in my lines, drop my down riggers and "troll" right behind their boat cutting all their lines. Simple solution.

I agree with Luna, there are a bunch of newbies out there who probably just don't know. So hopefully some are reading this thread. Here's my contribution and everyone may not agree with me but here goes:

When you hook into a big spring put the boat in neutral and let the other boats around you stay clear. I alway find it funny when people lose the fish at the boat because they cant net it when their boat keeps moving away from the fish. But what bugs me is guys yelling to stay away when they keep trolling towards other boats with a fish on.

Ok now as it is being discussed lets go over things THAT should happen out there so we can all be better fisherman!!!!!

Trolling!!!!!

Ill use otter as an example but it applies for beachy head,trap, possesion,muir,sheringham etc. the old rule of thumb "RIGHT ROD TO SHORE" it was instilled on me close to 30 years ago to fish this way on an tact when your fishing a flood off of these spots the inside has the right of way for fishing.
So as in otter point it takes you about 30 mins in a good flood to cover first rock to now the "orange house" which used to be purple and most of the time the "fleet" is there as well all in a nice line fishing the current on a bit of a weird angle as the current comes in on an angle so we are all facing toward sherinham abit and then you have a NIG NOG trying to go with the current flow trying to stay on the 100 ft level making everyone move...... WRONG!!!!

It easy up on the inside down on the out and then re set to do it all over again from the orange house to the point takes maybe 5 mins or less in a strong flood why screw everyone else up think of a race track or nascar follow the flow and fishing is WAY easier for all of us.

FISH ON!!!!!

AS I mentioned before if im behind someone and they get one on ill just turn left and do a big circle most times you would be surprised on how many fish you pick up doing this as well in the meantime ill be yelling at boats saying guy up in front of me has "fish on" and most will follow do everyone a favor and give people room when the have it on then go down a bit and all you have done is basically a "short tact" trust me the guy with the fish WILL thank you for it.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

ya its funny, you'll see 50 boats all following in a line then you get one idiot who wants to fish perpendicular to the fleet. With these guys I just turn away and make him think I'm not watching, they always move ;). I DO NOT move for bozos like that!

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org - a new Fishing forum

I had trouble with a clown like that a couple of weeks ago. He came in from way out in the straight with one line dragging a couple of hundred feet out from the stern with no weight, right on the surface. He came right in perpendicular to the pack, and neither guy on board was paying any attention. I gave him lots of room, but still came up on his surface line. My passenger saw it about a foot from the boat,and I had to throw it into reverse and tangle the crap out of my own gear to avoid his. I was not happy. It was about a 20' Harbourcraft with a brown hull.

quote: "RIGHT ROD TO SHORE"

Finally!!! From Sooke to the Charlottes it is a pretty good rule to live by for almost all fisheries. So are we all agreed......
One last thought for the gong show this year..good fishing for pigs, pink year, coho are back, god bless the internet, and some stores that exploit certin fisheries to make a $, but sincerly Iam glad they are doing well. I guess no info is a secret anymore. Lets get back to fishing, September and August will soon be in the air boys!!EDUCATE!!

Sooke is not the only area with these problems. I'm usually around Vancouver harbour, Howe sound area and I can relate to all the complaints. I thought it was a fairly large ocean and wondered why 25% of the boats have to come directly towards me at cruisings speed and change course at the last possible second.
I prefer to fish during the week and stay home on the weekends
If someone made a poster of boating etiquette, it would surely be ignored!

Almost makes you miss the times the guy anchoring next to you ...
300ft away!!
LOL

JUST FISHEN'

Back