Sooke boat ramps

N2013

I fish mainly out of Sooke in the summer and have always used the Prestige Hotel launch but as many know, if you're there late, you're parking a long ways away. Since I'm solo 90% of the time, I don't like leaving my boat unattended while I go get my truck. I'm looking at exploring other options for ramps and am looking for some feedback on how busy Jock's/Sunny Shores ramp's are in the summer. Is parking an issue, or often line ups at the ramp? I normally launch before sunrise to beat the rush and get parking, but certain days I can't get out there till around 9am. I'm launching a 16' boat. Moorage appeals to me for ease, but since I'm in an open boat, I'd have to strip my boat every time. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's helpful but Cheanuh marina seems to have a decent amount of space and when it's real busy they will ferry guys around on a golf cart up and down the road :)
Great people at Cheanuh as well.
Anyways, I launch from there and then go left or right depending on where I'm headed in Sooke that day. It's usually not a far run and I find the 15-20 minutes of drive time gives everyone a chance to get stowed away and settled.

Skip the prestige and go from Cheanuh or Pedder :)

I'm like you I launch early and most times it not a problem. if i'm late I just launch at Sunny Shores. Nice people and never had a problem finding parking and just as easy to get to. I go to all marinas it just depends on where I want to fish that day. I find the hotel a bit of a PITA most times. Only 1 ramp,1 dock which is a real PITA coming back in the afternoon and people going in and out, and having a 23ft boat I can only use the last couple parking spots anyway and that's if I jump the curb on a couple them.

Last edited:
Sunny Shores

Pro.

Lots of close parking, which is easy to use, especially with a long truck and trailer.

Fuel Dock – The only one in Sooke.

Store with ice, bait, fishing gear, fish bags, drinks and snacks etc. and camping.

People around who keep an eye on your boat, truck and trailer.

Good inner basin crabbing locations to drop your traps on the way out.

Often less crowded and faster to launch and retrieve.

The owners are often helpful if you run into a problem.

Cons.

An extra ten minutes travel time (with a fast boat, unless it is foggy – then it’s longer) and associated wear and fuel cost.

If you don’t have local knowledge the way out can be a bit tricky especially past the Sooke River area and around the various rocky points. Every year we see people get their boat grounded or do boat /leg damage on the shallows out in front of the Sooke River estuary. Stay close to the south shore and keep against the shore and inside (shore side) of the first Green Buoy going out. If your new to the area it is not a bad idea to follow someone with local knowledge out/in the first time or two.

Watch for crab floats on the way across the inner basin as they can be a hazard, especially in the fog; there can be a lot of them.

Last edited:
Back