Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Out to Otter Pt at 3. Pretty choppy at first...tough to tell whether there were any hits or just hits from the chop! Calmed down to a perfect smooth sunset.

Had the place to myself again quickly when the one other boat headed in...

Pretty blank sounder screen but finally found one just before heading in...thanks to the birds for the tip!

Wild male coho, 8#. First male of the year for me...and first with something actually in it's stomach. Six 4" baitfish plus one in the mouth with my hoochie. 40 ft down in 240ft of water. He took the bait when I slowed down to turn in and put up a great fight with several long runs plus a couple loops around the yak trying to tangle me up even worse.

out yesterday out front with Doug & Weinstein...there were 'a few' fish around - very nice to see. Mostly bait 70 to 100 on betsy's and glow or green glow heads was the ticket..biggest were around 12

156094_10152337385375658_5931326853964723136_n.jpg

Out from Cheanah Marina at 9:00 yesterday morning. Fished in 600 ft straight out from the Head. Caught and released 12 wild coho between the two of us, and kept 2. Couldn't find a clipped one. Magic depth seemed to be 70 to 80 feet on the downrigger, but we did catch two on our light line. Didn't seem to matter what we put down, as we used bait, hootchies, spoons and to make the day really memorable, the jughead I have been dragging around off and on this summer without success actually came through. Came in at 2:00. Had a terrific day on the water.

Also out from Beechy Hd yesterday from 8-2 tried from head to 600', lots of bites that didn't stick, thru back 6-7 wilds, managed to keep 3 clipped and 2 wild to 10lbs. Anchovy in glow green @ 90-100' produced best but got fish on white hootchy and green/white spoons also

Fished 8-11am today. Fantastic contrast to last time out just 10 days ago. Around two dozen hits, including three double headers, one of which was a double hatch! Never had that happen before. Got all hits in 550 water at 75' on both hootchies and my old Krippled K which I located in my tackle box last year. They were about the same in hit ratios. Ended with our two wilds, largest 11lbs, and our limit of hatchery fish as well, which were all in the 5-7lb range.
Lost one hootchy on a big hit that I never saw, and also a flasher and hootch combo on a huge kelp ball. Hard to pay attention to what is in the water in front when so much happening with the rods!! LOL Except for other boats of course! Many, many boats out there as far as the eye could see in both directions. I guess no one is working when the coho run is at its height....LOL
Saw the humpback aw well, though he was quite a distance away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out this morning with my website guy...just the 2 of us. Left the dock at 7am and by 8:15 we had played 28 coho keeping 2 wild and 5 hatch. Then took 2 hours to get the last hatch. Played 67 Coho and had another dozen hits. Included 3 triples and don't know how many doubles. 6- 12 pounds in 500 feet of water, 60-75 feet and if you put a beer can down it probably wuold have caught something because everything I got wet caught fish. Even had a couple on a 5 inch Tomic I put our for fun.

Similar day by myself got limit in a few hours.. Started out slow at first there we here and there till I found a concentration of them.... Then pretty much non stop out east... everywhere from 30-120 feet all on same hardware. I counted over +30 to boat. Lost over a dozen as well... Kept a nice wild about 10-11lbs..the majority off them were 6-8lbs... They started getting bigger. Before I left I easily let a few go in males in low teens...

Then turned around big humpback fin came out near my boat..

We are so lucky to have this fishery, and live here will be back out in a few days... One thing though I would mention is that some of the coho I was getting were starting to turn...I would get out sooner than later...With no rain and rivers so low a couple of rainfalls these fish may be gone... Last year was different never had darker fish so early...

20141003_133633.jpg

Wow...great day out there profisher, Englishman and others!! I wish I was out wherever you were!...I made the mistake of venturing out from the trailer park area at 10 to try to find the deep water "hole" somewhere out front of the "Tin Shed" and bluffs...spent a couple of hours getting pushed around by waves and tide in shallow waters...I had about 67 fewer coho played than profisher...but didn't try the beer can.

out today 9;30 t0 11:30 off of secretary 3 wild and 4 hatchery plenty o f double headers. glow white hoochey and anchovie ,got rough and didnt want to irritate any more wilds to get our hatcherys ......C.A.

I got the invite to join Rockfish on his rig today. Very happy that I was able to join him. Dropped the lines at about 10am and before we even hit the target depth, we had a fish on. The action was fast and furious for most of the day. The start of our day was just crazy with action. We started straight out from the harbor in 500' and stuck to that area until we called it at about 3pm. Best depths were between 40-70'. White glow hootchie was best for us. If you have one of those break away flashers, now is a good time to pull it out IMO. We had 10+ double headers and released heaps of wilds. We played over 30 fish and only found 4 clipped. We were selective on which wilds we kept and ended up taking home a 9 and 12.5lb wild. The 12.5 is the best coho I have ever caught. Nothing huge I know, but I have only fished for coho a couple seasons, so it's a start.

I think Spring Velocity is right. Don't think many of these fish are gonna stick around long. Very mature looking and large sperm and egg sacks. "you snooze, you loose"

PS, Englishman, saw your truck at the launch. Very happy to hear you found them too!! Cheers.

IMG_0933.JPG

1517588_10154653232320133_998190432704836586_n.jpg

Picture is worth a thousand words....was out from 7:30 to 11

Attachments

• 27941.jpg
    27941.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 682
Very impressive pics guys, congrats!

Hoping some similar to that make it to the mouth of the Fraser in the next few weeks.

Nice upper picture Dave. I see she is already mastering the tail grab technique for landing fish without a net and for reviving and releasing them, and doing it the hard way without a landing glove. They probably don’t make a glove her size yet.

Similar results today, maybe 40-45 fish played today from 7-11am. Kept 9 hatch and 4 nice wilds. It always seems that no matter how selective I am with the wilds I still have to let the biggest go near the end of the trip! Never fails.

Good buddy from Calgary told him fishing is good to come out so this was day 1 out from 8 to 10:30....

anything works.....
Jarrod taking boat out VERY soon going moose hunting then laid up for a bit with some surgery, finally after years in pain getting knee rebuilt.....

Attachments

• 28337.jpg
    28337.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 456
Out so late that I managed a parking space at the launch. Straight out of harbor, started fishing at 12:30 and had the first fish on the surface line on 602 plug at 12:31. This fishing is so much fun. Surface to 90 ft with mostly plastic. Did bait for a couple of fish but more trouble than its worth. Ended up with 5 with the biggest a wild about 10 lbs. Released close to 20 fish. Water was like glass and we were back home at 3:30.

pretty exhausted now...thats a good thing - 2 days of fishing and in to around 100 fish on about a 6:1 ratio. Took the boy today in the tinny from 10:30 to 3:00 - 2 wilds, 3 hatch - couldn't find any more hatch - think we lost one at the boat thou. Wilds were both 10, biggest hatch was 9. Released around 15, lost maybe 15 (son took the rod 80% of the time). Betsy with alligator glow on one side and no bananas & gforce banana spoon on the other. Bigger ones on Trev's setup. Lots of fun - 45 and 70 were the average depths..bigger ones around 80 or so.

Back