Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Beautiful calm night on the water tonight, fished from 4 to 6:30 pm. 9 fish on, 5 lost far from the boat and 4 wild coho in the boat, 2 retained (one each). 350-500 ft of water, 50 to 100 for depth. Not alot of bait or fish showing, but results were good. Coho killers and pink squirts.

I have to start keeping notes......

What happened last year when the first rains came? Did the fish move in or disappear?

Springs will move into the rivers, the coho should mill about for another 3-4 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished 8:00am until 1:00pm today. EXTREMELY slow. Trolled from 100' out to 550' and back twice, searching various depths. Covered a lot of ground since out front the slope contour runs from 400' to 500' of water very slowly. Had just two hits and one little 4lb coho to the boat. That was it. Perhaps October will be better....it usually is.

Fished out of Becher Bay on Sunday morning. Lots of fish around, two nice wild coho, two hatchery fish. Hatchery fish were both smaller than the wilds. Caught them all on purple flashers and anchovies. 450 to 500 feet, straight out from Beechy Head, 85 on the downrigger. it was a beautiful day out there. These there the first fish in my new boat. Very happy with the result, and thanks again to everyone who gave me tips.

If you did not mind getting a bit damp it was a great day for Coho off Sooke although there were very few boats out there. No wind, seas or fog to speak of but some rain at times. Fished 10 am to 4 pm and lost count of how many we played today with double headers etc and they are getting bigger. Lots of fun playing catch and release up to a 13 lber (unclipped), we kept that one and two others. Took a picture if I can find my Micro SD adapter. Had a number of 9 and 10 pounders or so doing aerials back of the boat. Got most on bait we are still using up but a fair number on plastic and even one on the surface with a green Apex and a little banana weight. They seem to be everywhere and at all depths from surface down to 115 feet and we caught the most off the Tin Shack out between 480 and 570 of water column down 60 to 100 feet. I would say grab your rain gear and go fishing this week.

Springs will move into the rivers, the coho should mill about for another 3-4 weeks

The best coho fishing is generally from first to third week of October as they are at there biggest and most plentiful. If you think fishing good now wait until another few dumps of rain..Springs this time last year are possible still. I got two springs in mid twenties but they were the whites....

I don't run any bait for coho totally not needed...

The coho fishing has been good but I wish the sizes were larger.... They seem to be from 12lbs and down generally..... Hopefully next month they will get larger..

Wow...Rockfish had a different experience from me a little further west! Out at Otter from 3:30-7...mostly straight off point in 300-350 ft of water. Not a nibble of any kind. LOTS of big arches right around 200ft down though...who knows what they are...but too deep for me anyhow. In some spots they formed a continuous band between 180-200 ft.

The topper was the disappearance of my crab trap:(

Gotta get out in the next day or 3 further towards the Bluffs and see what's what!

WOW with another depressing report like englishmans Guess ill have to go look for myself.....cant see how 2 days of fishing can be sooo bad ..ill report back afterwards to let you all know....

Quite the downpour last night! Haven't heard rains like that in a while. Wonder how it'll change the fishing?

WOW with another depressing report like englishmans Guess ill have to go look for myself.....cant see how 2 days of fishing can be sooo bad ..ill report back afterwards to let you all know....

It is a big puzzle to me why Rockfish's experience was so different from mine. I can only explain it as caused by the fish being very concentrated in one area. (We were only a couple of Klicks east of Rockfish). I had a PM from a very experienced angler who fished Sunday and who had a very similar experience. Two fish and then nothing for the rest of the session trying all depths and many lures and bait. Anyone else got a report from yesterday? I am interested in whether fishing was very location dependent (which those who read my posts know is my belief....location, location, location.....LOL)

My morning on Sunday was hit and miss.
Started out good then went dead as the tide moved us along.
Pulled gear and ran back to starting point and got back into some fish.
Sounds like others had a stellar day that day.
So they are not everywhere but when your on them there are lots.

I always say fishing is easy...
Just have to be right place, at the right time, doing the right thing.

Easy.

Tips

I had a similar experience on Monday, I took a client out Monday afternoon from 3:30 to 5:30, granted not a ton of fishing time before he felt a little nauseous and wanted to go in, we trolled around getting only one hit during that time with all different gear on the lines. Previous to this I had had no trouble getting fish on any trip throughout the Spring and Summer and had only four skunks including this all season, and all the other skunks were very early on. Sunday I was out and we got into a lot of coho, Friday was the same and we also got a nice 18 pound Spring, so perhaps it was just a pocket thing. We were fishing in the 500' of water off beachy more or less. Often even when the runs are going bananas you can catch fish then nothing for an hour or two and then be back on fish, so I wouldn't read too much into it. The coho fishery will continue to get better right into mid October so there's lots of time to play around.

Heres a report from yesterday. Started out front around 730 not much doing so went with the ebb towards otter and started hitting fish around 9 in 450-500 feet off the point and a little west. Had limits for 4 of us by 1030 with a bunch more lost or hits. Nothing huge 6-10 lb, 60-100 feet everything was working. It's not spring fishing, stick and stay doesn't apply for coho...

Well my old man and I put in 6 hours on Monday and 5 hours on Tuesday both in the morning. Both days were SLOW out off beechy and the trap. In out eveydepth speed lure bait. You name it I tried it. Mon we got 1 coho and missed 2 others. Tuesday we got one 6 pound Chinook and missed 1 coho.

Im still waiting for that epic coho day! Im sure its coming just have to come across the right school on the right day. From what ive heard last Friday was one of those days as I know a fellow who managed 3 coho in the low teens and a few others.

-KK

fished monday afternoon 12 to 4;30 otter area to secratary various depths using anchovies spoons and hootchys 1 wild coho approx. 5 pounds was all we managed................C.A.

Well I dont know whats going on but managed 4 wilds biggest was 14 lbs and let about 8 go looking for hatchery this am I start out at about 200 ft and troll south ACROSS the tide and then when I hit them i criss cross back and forth doing about 3 to 4 mph faster the better for coho today was the only day my crew didnt limit out and wasnt from lack of fish couldn't find the hatchery ones ....

Coho fishing isnt hard once you got them keep circling them look for others with fish on, as well

Finding coho killers the best the yellow and green with silver on the back the andrew P spoon (around 3 to 4 ft leaders) and a tiny lime green squirt 24 inch leader and the sockeye red squirt is what ive been mostly using ranging from 50 to 120 on the riggers.

good luck Wolf

Some interesting reports posted here indeed. Looks like location might have something to do with success, as those going west seemed to have more success than those east (Secretary/Beechy etc.) However, speed may have something to do with it as well. I rarely go above 3.0K so perhaps that is a factor? I certainly went across the tide run as Wolf described, from 100' to 500' yesterday, but to little avail. Looks like some folks have had the same experience....however, if you find them you seem to find them big time and a bonanza of teener cohos results. But if Kami-Kazi has yet to contact the mother lode, then I sure it is not that easy to do so. (Except for the really experienced guides......of course :))

Back