Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

A little slow the past few days but there are still some nice ones to be had. Managed a couple locomotives on Friday morning at first light west of the Harbour mouth on anchovies. Also had a few hookups on Sockeye in 280' water just to the southwest of Sherringham Point, usual set up, pink hootchies (18" leaders), red hooks and a couple dummy flashers on the third rigger in and around 60 - 90 ft.

As for the guys who analyze the pics for locations, just saying I sometimes have landmarks in the pics on purpose… lol.

Attachments

• IMG_5973.jpg
    IMG_5973.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_6011.jpg
    IMG_6011.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_5998.jpg
    IMG_5998.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 624
It is not the landmarks. It is the fact there are zero boats........so you guys were waay waaaay West!!! LOL:D

Anyway, congrats on those two fish. VERY few people catching fish like that at the moment......

Took my daughter and her hubby out last wed and did not have to go far to get him his first chinook, blown off the water at noon, not much happening on thursday but did get a Sockeye in 70 ft. of water right on the closure line right at roll up time. Headed west on Friday and my buddy bonked a nice one. Got into some hatch coho's also. It's slow for sure, every one has there theory why, probably a combination of everything. See what happens in the Bite me Derby this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_3573.jpg
    IMG_3573.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_3580.jpg
    IMG_3580.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 598
Fished 7am - 1pm today, started west at Sheringham Point for a couple of hours and had one missed hit that stripped the bait. Eventually went out for Sockeye; tried a couple of different places and finally started finding some bites in 500ft off the harbour mouth. Only ended up landing one hatchery Coho. Another brutally slow day in Sooke for me.

Also, when I put my traps in today, I noticed a seal following me. Soon as the trap went over he went down, and came up shortly later with all my bait dangling out of his smug face. WTF. The bait was in a container sealed by a strap and hooked to my round commercial trap on the top of the inside. When I lifted it back up I saw the cord holding the bait container was chewed through, but I have no idea how in the heck it got in there. The chain link over the trap is tightly spaced, and the doors are, obviously, crab-sized. Anyone ever had/seen this happen? Might answer some questions for me when I find my traps without bait and without crab.

Fished 8 -2 pm today. Had a Sockeye double header in 400ft off Secretary. Trolled back towards the Head around 12 and hooked into 4 more Coho. Only 1 hatchery. Fish anywhere from 20ft to 140ft. Good bite at the Head around 1pm.

X2 for the ol halibut face. sooke is deadly slow right now in what should be prime time. Beautiful day but fishing sucks! Gotta pick up soon?!

Fished Muir from 12-3 this pm in the yak for not much. Big Thanks to the guys who lent me a screwdriver to fix my rigger out on the water.
T2

Fished 11-2 with my lady muir to sherringham. Lost a hog at the boat, landed his little bro...25# red. Finished off with a fairly large sock which is dinner tonite. Don't usually post reports but the doom and gloom is getting me down.
image.jpg

Nice pics everyone some nice fish, there may not be lots coming in but some nice ones none the less, no not pigs but still pretty nice average size I will say that.

For us we boated another 19# today and lost a high teens just off the back of the boat about 15'. Just west of Sheringham again. Spooled up a little earlier today from Otter as there were a couple guys in about a 22' boat that were trying to paddle themselves against the tide and keep themselves from hitting the rocks and I bet 6 boats went by and never offered them help,, I couldn't believe it. As soon as we got close to them I spooled up and threw them a line and towed them down the beach to a friends place so they could get fuel. No fish is worth watching someone lose something like that not to me anyways but to many I see it is.

So for us it's 5 springs and 2 pinks for 5 days on the water not bad, we'll just keep grinding away.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 springs today 20 and 15 pounds, one at Muir early and the other PNP in the afternoon. Found 1 sockeye and a hatch coho in a couple of hours of trying fornthem at the end of the day. Fishing might be a grind but so nice to have some heat and flat water all day!

We didn't head out all weekend but I heard east was good this early afternoon and morning... A nice 38 got weighed in so they are around. Just have to be right place and right time I guess..

Out today from 8-1pm, not much action until 10am then a 6lb hatch coho and a 4ish pound sockeye.
Was out in the 500's right out from the sooke harbour.
Bit was weird in that it was on for 20-30 minutes and we saw many people hooking up and then dead and everyone would disperse.

We were out for the day and kept a nice Sox, bigger Pink and a 26 lb Chinook and released some smaller ones. All on glow or pink plastic. Had some sort of electrical problem with the main motor and got in just before dark on the kicker.

long run!

A little slow the past few days but there are still some nice ones to be had. Managed a couple locomotives on Friday morning at first light west of the Harbour mouth on anchovies. Also had a few hookups on Sockeye in 280' water just to the southwest of Sherringham Point, usual set up, pink hootchies (18" leaders), red hooks and a couple dummy flashers on the third rigger in and around 60 - 90 ft.

As for the guys who analyze the pics for locations, just saying I sometimes have landmarks in the pics on purpose… lol.

PNP?!? How long is that run from Sooke? Don't know the area well as I've only chartered outta Sooke once (this summer) with Roy...so I'm curious if you ran out from Sooke or launched at Jordan River or something.

Nice fish!

Leaving from Sooke in flat conditions its only a 20-25 min run in my boat to PNP. Problem is you pass up some great spots ripping up there. Hardest question I have in the morning is to do a pass or two at Otter-Muir-Sherringham or travel further west? Just a note the biggest springs for me this year and in years past have been on the East side of Otter right after the low slack (just wait for the eddy to form)... so no need to travel great distances unless planning on dropping the pick for Halibut or just looking for a piece of water with less boats.

The last three times I went fishing I did not get anything. This week I traveled to Black Creek and had dinner at Salmon Point. I was surprised to see fish jumping like crazy. A lot of small fish and larger ones and they were only in 20 feet or water or so. I usually only see that type of spectacle in September

Unfortunately much of the best fishing at PNP is covered with a huge mine field of commercial crab floats that goes way out and especially in a strong current if you get anywhere near them you will lose your fishing/rigger gear.

Photo in the dark when we finally got back on the kicker!

20140810_211140.jpg

Nice spring on the evening bite at Possession.

We were out for the day and kept a nice Sox, bigger Pink and a 26 lb Chinook and released some smaller ones. All on glow or pink plastic. Had some sort of electrical problem with the main motor and got in just before dark on the kicker.

Back