Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Well Englishman I agree with you on the fog - thank goodness for Larry.
\
Tried something a little different today for a while. Mooched anchovies. I have a stainless steel needle from a party boat captain in San Francisco. Thread the line through the anchovie and then bury the circle hook. Supposed to have rubber bands for the gills but I used a half-hitch. Sent a couple of them down 60 ft with 2 oz banana weight. While sending the second one down I took my eye off the first one then saw a fish jumping around the boat - wow. Took a second to see that it was on my first chovie. What a blast with no flasher and only the light banana weight. Only caught a couple but it was fun. Both wild so let them go.

After reading Englishman's post I found something totally different - my glow white hootchie at my favoured 77 ft did not get touched. MP15 at 110 ft was the ticket for me. Got a couple on the bubblegum squirt at 110 ft but the fish convinced me to switch to MP15 on both rods. Lots of coho still out there but I had trouble finding hatchery. One little hatchery and 20+ wild released. Kept one wild of about 10 lbs. Good day on the water despite the fog.

Interesting Moose-J.

I have seen "MP15" posted here a few times but I have never known what they were. Typed in MP15 to Google and after wading through masses of hits on Smith & Wesson (I assumed no one is out there shooting coho!! :D LOL) I eventually discovered they are small pink hootchie/squirts called mini planktons. I have idea why the vendor came up with that name since from the pics I found they look exactly like the pink squirts I already have unless I am missing something. However, they clearly worked great for you, although maybe they are very selective for wilds....LOL
Can't figure why the white hootch did not work for you. Could be many factors. We found it better to troll against the tide (cable was slanting back at big angle) and like I said many hits were triggered by raising and lowering the rigger a dozen feet or so........

Last edited by a moderator:
Great day on the water today. Started from Cheanah at about 9:00. Headed straight out to the 500 ft mark near Secretary Put down a purple haze squirt with a purple haze flasher and anchovy with a bloody nose teaser and a gold betsy flasher. 80 and 70 ft were the magic depths for my boat, as we played around 30 fish. Kept 3 unclipped and one clipped as we couldn't catch another unclipped one. Headed in about 2:00 and found 3 keeper dungeness in the traps. I am so grateful to live and fish in this part of the world!

Got my first rod in the water by 8:30 this morning and was lucky enough to get my 3 hatchery and 1 wild by 10:05 ranging in size from about 5 - 9#. found my fish in about 450 feet of water between Beachy Head and Trap shack 50 - 80 feet on the rigger. I was using Betsy gold flashers with bait on one side and my trusty Ace Hi Fly on the other. I had a few hit and runs, a couple long line release's, and another couple wild that were released to fight another day. Foggy as hell but flat calm. what an awesome way to start the day! Hi Fly Ace out fished bait by about 2 - 1.

I'm looking forward to the tourney this weekend. Chrome Tom Mack has out fished every other lure on my boat. As an aside, my buddy was hit-and-run on monday in front of sooke, in about 500 feet of water.

I hope he's going to post himself, but in case he doesn't sign up and figure the site out, I thought I'd put something up too. Apparently the boat is a low 20's, similar to a trophy perhaps with blue bottom paint, and they have radar. He ran right up on this guys boat...I guess the bow was completely over his boat. I saw the pictures of the gouge, and the sheared off rail, and this was a serious impact. The part that bothers me is that the guy just ran off, that could have been a death sentence in the north pacific. He told me the captain might have been asian, if that helps identify the boat.

Please PM me if you might have any info...

following the Coll. Regs is the Law, this "captain" needs to man up and accept consequences, with radar equipped, there is no excuse here, I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this boat

Wow!! That's crazy, someone getting smacked like that!! Hope they find who did it. I was out Wed. and yes very foggy for sure. Fished from 8:00 am til 11:30 out off the harbour, like everyone been saying Coho are pigs and will smash anything that moves. Had my brother in law from Alberta who i have had out before and his brother in law from Vic who has never caught a fish or even been fishing in the ocean. Got them into some good action on light gear running dummy flasher's. First fish on the newbie from Vic lost, second one was boated , a nice hatch 10 lbs or a bit more maybe as seen in the first pic, then my brother in law from Alberta took over and got into a few. He boated a nice wild as seen in the second pic, anyone recognize him? Fun day out there with lots of action, my crew was pretty stoked!!

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 604
That's one of the canadian pickers? Are those guys as cheap as they make them out to be?

Yes, Sheldon is my brother in law, very nice guy, not sure why he loves my sister tho' - been with her over 20 years so i guess he loves her for some unknown reason. His partner on the show Scott seems to have a little more of an edge to him. Sheldon 's pretty relaxed and laid back. Nice to take Sheldon and his bro'in law out and get them into some action yesterday, and i sure love taking people out when i see smiles like those!! Had a great day and no he is not cheap, not sure about Scott tho' but i doubt it.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 504
image.jpg
(Last week)Dont know who this is but they had an up close encounter:)
As for the hit and run,gawd that is lame..be careful out there,especially u CJ! Maybe have the flare gun ready:)

220.jpg225.jpg

We were out fishing in the fog. Not as many fish as other days but the two photos show good sized fish. First was taken on purple onion flasher and MP15 at 70 ft. Second was taken with a #632 tomic plug at 65 ft with no flasher. Also got a couple of hatchery that look pretty small compared to the two big boys. Weighed them after they had been scaled, gutted and gilled. The fist one was 11 1/2 lbs and the second was 9 3/4 lbs on my kitchen food scale. Good day on the water but small chop from the east..

Attachments

• 219.jpg
    219.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 865
Thanks for the concern humpbubble! I was indeed out at Otter Pt on Tuesday afternoon when it socked in so hard I couldn't tell up from down let alone East from West! Luckily I can hear pretty well with no outboard noise so followed the highway sounds back to shore. Ended up with one coho on board before the fog then spent time jigging in 20 ft of water right near the launch to see what was down there (answer= a sanddab (I think) and a little greenling...

Will try again tomorrow and hope for no fog!

(Last week)Dont know who this is but they had an up close encounter:)
As for the hit and run,gawd that is lame..be careful out there,especially u CJ! Maybe have the flare gun ready:)

went out yesterday in the fog. Started at o-dark thirty and headed straight out to the 500' range. Fished east to west and landed 4 nice wild, 2 nice hatchery and even got 3 sockeye. Fisheries officers greeted us at the dock wanting to inspect the catch/licenses. All in all, a great day on the water. Anchovies were definitely the way to go. 70 and 80' then tried 65 and 75. Both produced well.

it socked in so hard I couldn't tell up from down let alone East from West! Luckily I can hear pretty well with no outboard noise so followed the highway sounds back to shore.

wow…thats scary…you should get a compass and a chart and learn how to use them

Thanks for the concern humpbubble! I was indeed out at Otter Pt on Tuesday afternoon when it socked in so hard I couldn't tell up from down let alone East from West! Luckily I can hear pretty well with no outboard noise so followed the highway sounds back to shore. Ended up with one coho on board before the fog then spent time jigging in 20 ft of water right near the launch to see what was down there (answer= a sanddab (I think) and a little greenling...

Don’t know anything about the design of your little boat CJ, but if it has some flotation chambers with an access hatch you may be able to seal some loosely crunched up tinfoil in a garbage or fish bag inside the chambers that may help give you a bit of a radar reflection signature.

I agree on the quality hand held compass and for years that’s all a lot of Sooke fishermen had – you just head north to you reach the shore; but considering all the fuel costs you save, how about a small, handheld, water proof, battery powered color GPS/Chart Plotter.

Don’t know anything about the design of your little boat CJ, but if it has some flotation chambers with an access hatch you may be able to seal some loosely crunched up tinfoil in a garbage or fish bag inside the chambers that may help give you a bit of a radar reflection signature.

I agree on the quality hand held compass and for years that’s all a lot of Sooke fishermen had – you just head north to you reach the shore; but considering all the fuel costs you save, how about a small, handheld, water proof, battery powered color GPS/Chart Plotter.
Or if you have a smart phone, just install the navionic apps. That will at least tell you where you're at an where you're going.

LAST trip of the year im done..... took out some good people for a fun day to relax and get the kids involved true CHAMP reeling in the fish... we only went for 3 hours and found them in little spurts biggest was about 13 lbs until next year good luck in the derby. im going hunting next week....
29134.png

LAST trip of the year im done..... took out some good people for a fun day to relax and get the kids involved true CHAMP reeling in the fish... we only went for 3 hours and found them in little spurts biggest was about 13 lbs until next year good luck in the derby. im going hunting next week....
29134.png

Wow wasn't expecting that after I spoke to Wolf mid day on way out I dropped gear down out around 500 feet. About 10 minutes later the seas got extremely nasty.... Only fished for maybe 45 minutes and had double header of wilds where they surfed the waves and broke off at net... Not my day today should have been out early... Good luck with hunting Roy...

and maybe a tinfoil hat

http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/files/pdf-global/05raref.pdf

Back