sonar for aluminum boat

nitnat_junkie

Hey , looking at getting a new sonar/fishfinder for my 12 aluminum, I had a hummingbird with the transducer hardmounted to the back, was just wondering if the suction cup ones stick well to the aluminum or what kinda setup you guys use and what works well for you, cheers !

I have the suction cup style. Works fine, just remember to take it off if you are going faster than trolling speed.

With a lot of aluminum boats , you can keep the transducer inside the hull and just let it sense through the bottom skin of the hull. Try it sometime.

I never liked the suction cups,personally...

I procured a piece of oak about 2" wide by approx 20"

I use a 3" clamp to hold it to the boat transom.

The wire runs down through eyelets to the transducer which is screwed to the bottom of the oak.

It is measured EXACTLY so the transducer is at the right level for the bottom of the boat.

Setup marks are on the edge of the transom to take the guesswork out for correct setup.

I just pull it up when I'm running fast from one spot to another or at the end of a trip that day.

No holes in the hull...no kickup or hit damage....and it won't fall off while trolling (which a suction cup sometimes does).

Right now I'm working on Prototype "B"....which is one tube that slides down inside another tube with adjuster holes in it...that way I just pull it up or down and set it without having to disassemble everything.[^]

Back