Some Great Information on SKRW Survey and Chinook Numbers from Jason Tonelli.

Maybe I miss understand but fisheries is federally regulated the libs are calling the shots. We have to follow the law like it or not unfortunately. Only way to effect any change that will actually last is with a change in leadership at this point. again this is just my opinion but I would encourage everyone to remember that and consider it when you go to the polls next time.
I'm no liberal, and I'm no conservative where does that put me? We still have rights and the government is nothing without the taxpayer. It's called put that **** in writing and let's sift through it. Court case

I'll throw in the first $500 to secure a legal team to file a lawsuit. We can set up a "Go Fund Me" page with a goal to reach $100K. That alone will attract attention. I'm sure there are legal minds that fish that may be willing to take on this case. How can we just sit back and watch the continual erosion of our rights. If we keep doing what we've been doing , the fishery 'WILL NOT EXIST" in a few years. The Liberal Gov has a plan to close the fishery. Every time they take something, you NEVER get it back. Why not a flotilla/protest in our major ports to kick things off?

I'll throw in the first $500 to secure a legal team to file a lawsuit. We can set up a "Go Fund Me" page with a goal to reach $100K. That alone will attract attention. I'm sure there are legal minds that fish that may be willing to take on this case. How can we just sit back and watch the continual erosion of our rights. If we keep doing what we've been doing , the fishery 'WILL NOT EXIST" in a few years. The Liberal Gov has a plan to close the fishery. Every time they take something, you NEVER get it back. Why not a flotilla/protest in our major ports to kick things off?
I second that. I'll match that plus one.

Last edited:
time to retire the drama teacher and get someone competent at the helm. This fight is happening across the country in many different ways we’re just focusing on the one issue as fisherman on the west coast. What we need is an election. my two cents…
Crazy to me that Don Cherry says “those people” and he’s tossed faster than berried prawn but Justin says those people, “fringe people” technically, and he carries on.

I can see that notion and that's fair. I've been poking at the volunteers and the user groups because it's not enough. The forum is very little, if not none, and your right. He'll I don't even read some of these anymore because I done like clicking articles day after day. It's like an article log. I want to hear real opinions from real fisherman and people who know what's what. I think we have a real shot, however it has to be soon. On this round. I think this is the last stand before it come to the point where it's no longer an option. The sports world needs money and the management needs to come from all angles. It's best for Canada period.
Looks like the Lieberals divide and conquer strategy is working here

Then why is SFAB and SFI board members arguing that one? I'm getting tired of having the argument.

Let's worry about crab floats and hatchery fisheries. What a joke.

@TONELLI

Why not create a user group tied into our federal side that collects money to support the sports user group? Alliance needs to grow some shoulders. If that doesn't happen then the organizations we have will just be fighting for scraps. Charge for ability to fish for Chinook, charge a buck on tackle purchase, charge 2 percent on commercial landed catch. Get the money put it into the organization that funds the teams that can take the industry. Make a name. It's not simple but it's all anyone has
I like this idea. I have been saying this for years that we need a lobbying arm that can mount legal challenges and launch ad campaigns to counter the anti fishers and whale savers. I would happily pay all of these fees, and would also make annual donations to an organization that could do that.
So I will ask again. Is there an organization that exists that can do this?

I like this idea. I have been saying this for years that we need a lobbying arm that can mount legal challenges and launch ad campaigns to counter the anti fishers and whale savers. I would happily pay all of these fees, and would also make annual donations to an organization that could do that.
So I will ask again. Is there an organization that exists that can do this?
There is not at this time sir. However we need it. Maybe the alliance group is the one to grow? Or any ideas out there fellas?

There is not at this time sir. However we need it. Maybe the alliance group is the one to grow? Or any ideas out there fellas?
I had hopes for the Alliance, but they seem focused mostly on area 29 and not the coast. I will support them if they broaden their scope.

The problem has always been to get the other 95% of fishermen to engage.

But they are really casual and most of them won’t know what happened till they fire up their boat in august and find out there is no where to fish.

Then they will come on to Facebook or into tackle shops flabbergasted about how this happened

Your dealing with people who’s fishing for them is nothing more then a hobby, many who only get out a few times a year and the second it’s not fun or work there out.

other people its just as easy to go fish an area like Banfield and not worry about any of this, Road cant come soon enough

The sport licence needs a reno. Has to be built in. We could be getting all the funding right there. Major work. Wish I was a lawyer.

The groups we currently have were never intended on being a coalition or to take on somthing of this caliber. The alliance group was kinda our only group with intentions of doing that path however FB is right. Seems like they didn't get it off the ground enough.

I think a big part of our issue is we are just a small group. How many boat owners/fisherman are we talking about. 500 in Vancouver and maybe another 500 on the island. Like Wildman said. The majority aren't on forums or paying attention either. 1000 votes is not enough to sway Politicians unfortunately. We are going to have to make a lot of noise. I like the idea of legal action. You would think a judge would put a halt to killing an industry based on zero evidnce/science.

I think a big part of our issue is we are just a small group. How many boat owners/fisherman are we talking about. 500 in Vancouver and maybe another 500 on the island. Like Wildman said. The majority aren't on forums or paying attention either. 1000 votes is not enough to sway Politicians unfortunately. We are going to have to make a lot of noise. I like the idea of legal action. You would think a judge would put a halt to killing an industry based on zero evidnce/science.
Last recorded DFO announcement on rec licences sold in BC was 350,000

Put a 50 dollar stamp that goes into enhancement and management and that's quite a bit of dough right there. I'd gladly pay it.

At least Conservatives like Bob Zimmer are speaking up for the public fishery!
Can we please rename sport fishing in BC to angling? I don't fish for sport. I fish commercially sometimes when the old man need a hand, then we go angling. It's like hunting.

I love Bob, direct and to the point. What I don't love is that they just ignore him. How can you go to sleep at night and ignore someone like Bob? He's a boss.

This is the sad reality. The facebook group VI salmon fishing has almost 20K members. Your average post will get 20-50 likes depending on what it is. Bigger posts on there can get 500-1k likes. Bon chovy and others post up stuff about the whale survey and other stuff the government wants to do and they get maybe 5 or 6 likes or reacts with a few comments. You would assume posts like that would get 100's if not in the thousands of reacts if people gave a sh*t. Its pretty clear the majority of people that rec fish don't care. They assume there will be another area open if their local area gets closed. Just like the more closures on the east and south island just drives people out to the west coast.

Well, I know one thing. If we don't take a stand, we're going to be crying like babies for not fighting for it like a man. Lawsuit, full page ad in the Vancouver Sun or Province and Colonist and an "Anglers" Protest at all major ports in Vancouver and Victoria/Nanaimo areas. Peaceful yet sufficient people to get attention. They can't stop hundreds of boats cruising around our harbours. And all of us carrying "Anglers are pissed off flags".

Back