Solo double header on Gopro

No vid for me to see so how can i comment?

but let me state here ?"do you know where your barbless hook was imbedded before the fish shed it?????"
sorry for the hi-jack
quite a few are foul hooked and most don't know that, or hook slips out and slashes a fishes flank or re-hooks on the outside?????

and thats aimed at the knockers

may just start a thread on this topic? that's going to have some fun debate

No vid for me to see so how can i comment?

but let me state here ?"do you know where your barbless hook was imbedded before the fish shed it?????"
sorry for the hi-jack
quite a few are foul hooked and most don't know that, or hook slips out and slashes a fishes flank or re-hooks on the outside?????

and thats aimed at the knockers

may just start a thread on this topic? that's going to have some fun debate

Im not sure what the debate is here??

So what. Honestly we all try and do what's right. This guy nailed a solo spring (the dead one referenced by all the haters).

He then scored a solo double header, and filmed results. And his buddy got flamed bad for posting it. The "gods" here need to back the drag off a turn or two.

Yes, he would have saved some hate and probably been better off NOT netting it. Not like we see anyone netting coho and letting them flip/flop on deck to figure out if they should go over the side.

The fish was tired. It wasn't flapping around losing scales and hurting itself. A proper revival and it likely swam away. Probably not healthy enough to live to retirement, but likely good enough to spawn.

The lynch mob here that jumps on everything needs to slow down, after this guy got shat upon for posting NOT HIS OWN video, how does anyone expect new members to open up ?

I'm more of a lurker than a contributor, but this and the hate for the "double tyee" recently really bothers me.

Thanks for the video post, and sorry all the "old ladies" made you feel it had to come down.

This is why I never post pictures of fish or post things for sale. There are people here that just pick your catches or for sale things apart because they have nothing better to do. A real shame. To all those that do post pictures and videos, thank you I really do enjoy them. To all the the nick pickers get a life

That was a cool vid. I enjoyed it. Been there done that. Good on the dude to post. I'm positive he released one. If not both!

Well this sucks,just got my Gopro up and running and now I'm afraid to post any Vids. Sure hate to be chastised by all the pureists

It was a great vid; enjoyed watching it. I hope those that the took the time to write a critical post about it take the time to send a few e-mails re: the Area 6 vid.

Well this sucks,just got my Gopro up and running and now I'm afraid to post any Vids. Sure hate to be chastised by all the pureists

Post away mate, I'll bet there are far more of us here that enjoy in silence than criticize aloud. It's time those of us who enjoy the vids and pics to speak up more and drown out the complainers.

I think the Go pro footage is awesome, never saw this one before it was deleted after the pile on, thanks for posting, Gary keep the go-pro footage coming..just don't beat up the third fish Mmkay...Maybe all net's sold should have the catch and release mesh that greatly reduces the scale knock off? it shouldn't cost more for a net that helps preserve salmon for everyone, just my opinion..

I don't get why so many guys feel the need to preach their ethics every chance they get.

This year I've played and released quite a few springs. Any releases were done on the water with pliers or gaffe, no fish was brought in for a picture and no fish was netted. Because a big spring can snap my 40lb leader in a split second if I try to horse it that means the fish must be played out before it can be brought alongside the boat and released.

Well guess what? I tried to do everything right and still sent some magnificent chrome bars floating upside down to the bottom because by the time I could tail the fish to access a deep treble hook the fish was done. Probably would have been better to net the fish at the first opportunity gently remove the hooks then revive it beside the boat like the old days. Instead it's noo can't net it and try not yo touch it so the fish makes an extra bunch of runs as I try to stuff pliers down its throat and by the end of it all the fish has nothing left to swim away. I'd try to revive them beside the boat but its really hard to hold the line, the fish, and remove the hook with pliers or gaffe at the same time.

The gaffe doesn't work well for me with trebles and really doesn't work at all if the hook isn't in the jaw and I find quite often my baits are taken deep.

So no technique that I know is foolproof and until somebody finds one where 100% of the fish survive I think most guys should just keep quite and enjoy the video. I didn't even get to see it because of the whiners.

Post away mate, I'll bet there are far more of us here that enjoy in silence than criticize aloud. It's time those of us who enjoy the vids and pics to speak up more and drown out the complainers.
Yes, please post any pictures and videos. There are lots of us that truly enjoy them, and if people do have a problem with them maybe they can privately PM the poster instead of dragging them to the carpet and starting a big pile-on.

GDW.........right on.......

The knotless net does not work all that great.....although it is better than a mesh net.

In a perfect world in flat calm seas, maybe the gaff works o.k. for some.

But when it's bumpy and the fish is doing gymnastics beside the boat ( do I need to play a fish to exhaustion?) getting a gaff in it isn't so easy.....and there's a big risk of doing some kind of damage the second you stick a gaff under the gillplates anyway no matter what.

The solution is pretty simple....if a person fishing by himself does not want to deal with a double header ....then just run one rod.....

I have seen many springs this year with net marks on them.
Commercial nets I'm assuming..... the fish were in great shape and going up the river to spawn.
I have seen coho on the spawning grounds with one gill hanging out of it's face.
Ready to spawn with a partner. These fish are tough.....
All of us have seen fish at the end of our line that shows some wear from mother nature (seals).

Let's celebrate an accomplishment and offer advice on improvements only if you must.
Constructive criticism can be done in a positive way but destructive criticism is not helpful.

If someone could PM me a link to the YouTube URL I would be grateful.

i have chosen this year to slide my bait holder up and cut the leader if it is buried too far. six spares ready to run with bait rigged in the salt box.. just a thought, not critiquing. this is because of the under 77 rule. i do not want to exhaust these fish as the seals follow right up behind....

Right on trophywife! Cut the leader and lose a hook when it's deep and don't try an hour long surgery for the sake of a hook! It might be one of the five last Chinook in one little stream on this coast and much more worth than the price of a hook.

I use the term "bait" broadly. Whatever lure im using artificial or brined anchovie i call bait.

So your idea of slide the head and cut the hook works for anchovies, a hootchie or even a buzz bomb etc. but when a salmon swallows a 6inch spoon or other similar "bait" surgery is the only option unless you can get some wire cutters down its throat and cut the welded or split ring. Nobody's doing that.

So in the case of a 6inch spoon down the throat your options for releasing the fish are very limited like I said leaving the fish in the water doesn't seem to work for me. I always end up holding the fish vertical beside the boat to access the hook then when I slip it free the fish sometimes sinks belly up. If I'm fast a jab with the rod tip often wakes them up and they take off but they sink fast I've actually tried desperately to snag a sinking belly up spring hoping my lure hitting it would wake it up or if I hook it again I can revive it beside the boat. Netting and taking care of all this onboard then releasing the fish when its ready might be better but everyone thinks that's so wrong.

Who knows what happens to these belly up fish maybe a dogfish bumps em and they wake up. Maybe they hit bottom and wake up. Maybe they are eaten before they recover or maybe they are just screwed and die on their own. I keep the bleeders these are not bleeders these are fish fought to exhaustion so I can get a deep hook out without touching the fish or bringing it onboad as I'm told that's best for the fish. When I'm on my own I can't hold the fish and the pliers at the same time so once the hook is free if the fish sinks its gone I can't help it much at all. This is not usually a problem for lip hooked fish which are far easier to shake.

The point is no release method is fool proof so guys that complain about other people's release techniques need to keep quite. Anyone who thinks they can release all the fish they hook unharmed obviously doesn't catch very many fish. Some tactics are certainly better then others but no method works 100% of the time and I can think of a few fish this year I wish I netted and dealt with onboard instead of shaking it in the water to watch in horror as a 20 pounder who was fiesty moments before sank belly up just out of arms reach.

OK I am going to throw myself to the wolves here. I just had a trip to Ucluelet and caught and played a very nice size coho. I had 2 guys with me that weren't very good at identifying fish so made a point that no fish came in the boat,net, or gaff without me checking it first. Anyway the coho turned out to be wild and was hooked in the lip with a single hook that was on a 6" spoon. Very easy release you would think. I put the rod down, grab the leader with one hand and the gaff with the other. Popped the hook out no problem coho swims off and BOMB kicker stops. Point is, not every fish is going to make it no matter what you do. You try to do the best you can with the experience you have and hope for the best.

Attachments

• IMG-20130811-00085.jpg
    IMG-20130811-00085.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 189
Unavoidable Casper, too bad but no blame on you.
good on ya for the attempt.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I am going to throw myself to the wolves here. I just had a trip to Ucluelet and caught and played a very nice size coho. I had 2 guys with me that weren't very good at identifying fish so made a point that no fish came in the boat,net, or gaff without me checking it first. Anyway the coho turned out to be wild and was hooked in the lip with a single hook that was on a 6" spoon. Very easy release you would think. I put the rod down, grab the leader with one hand and the gaff with the other. Popped the hook out no problem coho swims off and BOMB kicker stops. Point is, not every fish is going to make it no matter what you do. You try to do the best you can with the experience you have and hope for the best.

Hope you were able to harvest some of that fish.

Back