Solo double header on Gopro

rendraW

I removed the video because of so many negative comments. You people need something better to do. The third fish was released relatively unharmed, minus a few scales. Take up the crusade elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with the dead spring on the bottom o the floor why couldn't he release one of the ones he caught?

X2 on the 3rd spring in the net. Small fish like that can easily be tailed. Other than that good work. What's wrong with it is that once you put a fish in a net it loses slime/scales and reduces its chance for survival. With one dead fish in the boat already the third fish could have been handled with a bit more care. IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would your mentor net a fish he's not gonna keep? Not much of a mentor in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure he was looking at completing the achievement. Well done there.:) It certainly would have been a lot classier if he had put the net down and gaff released the smaller one.;) eman

I seldom post anything negative but think the negative comments to this post are warranted and were politely stated.. for a change. LOL

I agree no need to net the 3rd fish. The 1 to be retained could have been netted and boated, then the other could have been dealt with and released.
That would have made for a great video clip.

Great footage up until that point.

Tips

i was going to reply to the 1st post but i haven't really been around here long enough so didn't want to chime in right away. i will say he did say while playing the 2 fish something about keeping the biggest and releasing one, however, at the end he seems to have forgotten what he said and sure seemed like he was gonna bonk them both. with his experience from what the original poster said, there was absolutely no reason to net that 2nd fish, and in my somewhat perverted mind, i'm thinking, why would he not keep the video going if he did release the other fish, i can think of 1 reason the video ended when it did, sorry to say. that's just the way i see it. btw did anyone see the movie dumb and dumber??? i think i just did, lol!
cheers nicnat

wow, a lot of criticism, oh well, I thought some people would enjoy this. I am certain he did release the third fish. He is an outstanding person and angler and I am now sorry to have shared this. Some people never miss an opportunity to demonstrate their holier than thou attitude.

Please show me your video of landing a double header solo and tailing the second fish. I would be impressed.

He might be an outstanding person but one of the worst to showcase sportfishing ethics. If videos like that go public then we shouldn't complain if the regulator shuts us down for not being able to perform proper catch and release practice or worse for not following regs altogether. Videos like that hurt sportfishing BC.

unfortunately it is you and your friend who are the idiots, people are merely stating the obvious from watching the video, any experienced fisherman should be able to release a fish without a net, he had his fish in the net a long time before netting the 2nd one, all his gear was up, it was either a rooky mistake or someone being totally irresponsible as far as good sportsmanship goes. looks to me like dumb and dumber stands!!!
cheers nicnat

Since no one really saw the third fish being bonked, it's not fair to lay accusations of anything
but poor fish handling.
the third fish could have easily been released after the camera stopped.
I have seen worse with a fish being passed around for photo's while out of the water
for minutes.

Since no one really saw the third fish being bonked, it's not fair to lay accusations of anything
but poor fish handling.
the third fish could have easily been released after the camera stopped.
I have seen worse with a fish being passed around for photo's while out of the water
for minutes.

Thank you craven for a reasonable post. the third fish was released and while I agree that it could have been handled differently, he didn't break any regulations.

Nicnat, how about a useful post instead of jumping on the band wagon and slandering people you don't even know. It makes you sound like a fool, and worse.

I appreciate people's passion for salmon conservation and protecting a released fish as much as possible. I suppose we should all go down to a single rod after we get the first fish so that we don't risk getting a double header at all in that situation, right?

Needless to say, I will be sharing a lot less on this forum after this episode. Very frustrating that so few give the benefit of the doubt and are all too willing to throw baseless accusations.

I didn't get to see the video as it was taken down but I can certainly see both sides. First off, I'm pissed I couldn't see the video as I love that gopro footage and appreciate those who take the time to capture and share such unique video. There are some very responsible fishermen on this forum and there are others who simple don't know or care and then a whole swath somewhere in the middle.

As a life-long fisherman, guide, and someone who wants to see fish around for generations I can say candidly that my fish catching / releasing habits have most definitely evolved over the decades. Education is KEY and we are all continually learning the best fishing techniques as well as the best conservation practices. The info shared on this forum in extremely valuable to those who are new to fishing and/or new to conservation and I hope to see it continue. When I see people / guests who don't practice good conservation techniques on the water more often than not it is simply the fact they don't know that they are causing harm to fish. Once they are informed I've found that most are very open to changing their habits.

I hope to see more videos and more good conservation practices so keep both coming! Happy friday to all!

I suppose we should all go down to a single rod after we get the first fish so that we don't risk getting a double header at all in that situation, right?

If fishing solo, thats exactly what I do if theres a good bite on.
I leave the lucky rod in the water and fish only one set of gear.:)

watched the video, been watching the comments... as someone stated, education is key (along with ethics and respect).

I take interest in the 1 rod comment... although i can certainly see what you are saying, whether there is 1 rod, 4 rods or 24 rods out, it doesnt mean a safe C&R practice cant occur.

Back