Sole fishing

hemi57

Where are some good spots around Vic to catch some soul ?been reading about them and they sound fun to catch and sound very tastey.

Caught a bunch halibut fishing near zero rock in about 170 ft of water.they where caught on halibut hooks so if u used something smaller you would catch a ton.or your limit haha

Sandy shallows/Pat Bay east side of Saanich inlet

Where are some good spots around Vic to catch some soul ?been reading about them and they sound fun to catch and sound very tastey.

I've had the best luck close to James Island, and off of Mill Bay close to the ferry terminal. At Mill Bay we caught 17 in under 2 hours. If you launch your Yak at Island View or from James Island wharf you should do okay. By James Island you might also catch some Cabezon which are even better eating.

Island view beach apparently has them. Let us know where you go and if you are successful.

90' to 115' in front of the monster mansion at the south point of Pat Bay... good in winter... not in summer when they seem to disappear. In summer shallow water in front of small stream mouths can be good. Most of the hardcore guys on here would likely look down on the humble flounder/sole but they are fantastic eating fish. Lots of work to fillet but I think worth it. And in the winter, when lingcod and rockfish are close, they are a good whitefish option. Most of my sole jigging is done while waiting for prawn traps to marinade, either in Saanich or up around Tent. The winter is great because the females also have roe which is delicious fried. Sometimes there is almost as much roe as meat.

Definitely skin filets before cooking, the skin is nasty smelling and will taint the meat. I have started freezing some whole, for one thing it is way too much of a pain to fillet the whole catch in one night after fishing, and for another leaving the fish whole prevents oxidation in the freezer and when defrosted and fileted they are almost as good as fresh.

Back