solar panel.

Hey so I was wondering if maybe someone might have a few ideas or pointers.
I just got new electric downriggers for my boat the only problem is I have a 30 hp 1998 pull start yamaha and if im not mistaken it does not have a alternator in it (correct me if im wrong) so with this problem I thought maybe I could put a solar panel on my boat to keep the charge up in my battery (dont even know if it is necessary) I dont know just a idea that I had.
Thought maybe some of you older salts or mechanically incined fellas might help my out a bit thanks alot.

Get em to go....

Jp it has an alternator but it was screwey and blew up all my electronics first day out so i wouldnt use it unless it gets figured out. I guess my fuses werent right amperage aswell.

ps i need braided DR line. You got any extra?

You sure? I might get parksville boat house to take a look at it...I know nothing about motors
And no but chris might ill look around for you you probably want like 300 ft on each eh?

quote:Originally posted by YEAH BUDDY

Hey so I was wondering if maybe someone might have a few ideas or pointers.
I just got new electric downriggers for my boat the only problem is I have a 30 hp 1998 pull start yamaha and if im not mistaken it does not have a alternator in it (correct me if im wrong) so with this problem I thought maybe I could put a solar panel on my boat to keep the charge up in my battery (dont even know if it is necessary) I dont know just a idea that I had.
Thought maybe some of you older salts or mechanically incined fellas might help my out a bit thanks alot.

A solar panel will do the trick for you for certain. One thing you have to remember is that a small solar panel charges the battery very slowly. It will recharge the battery, but doesn't work quickly like an alternator. Most large I/O and OB alternators put out 70 Amps per hour -- I think the one on your 30Hp Yamaha will have an 8 Amp alternator. A typical 5 watt solar panel trickle charger will put out .33 Amps per hour (at peak output on a sunny day). I think the Scotty downriggers draw about 15 Amps (I know they are fused at 30 Amps).

So for a day of fishing estimate maybe 15amps of power drawn off your battery. Your alternator will take about 2 hours to replace that (or keeps it topped up if you are trolling). A 5 watt solar panel will take about 45 hours (or 5 sunny days or thereabouts).

So, you either need a big solar panel, or lots of time.

Westmarine has one that will do the trick:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum=592

Claims an output of 7.5Ah (at peak I'm guessing -- assume 50% of this number to account for clouds and indirect sun -- forget it on foggy days). That unit would recharge your battery during a sunny day while out on the water but looks like it's going to run you about $300 when you include the cost of the charge controller.

Nothing beats free, so if you already have an alternator on your boat and can get the wiring sorted out -- I'd do that.

An article about solar chargers on boats FWIW:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/30.htm

TenMile
<'((((><

Thanks alot Ten Mile thats some pretty good advise I am not mechanically inclined at all so I think I will bring it in to parksville boat house or something to see if they can fix it up. It seems like the solar panel might be a last ditch effort if the alternator does not work.
Thanks again

Back