Sockeye Techniques

Here's a similar setup to what I like from the recent BC outdoor magazine article on sockeye fishing. The whole article is a great summary of the sockeye fishery in general so I'd suggest reading it if you're new to the game.

As has been said already, keep your boat in gear and your gear down once you get a hit as others will follow. It helps to have a few able crew mates to work the gear and drive the boat and net the fish properly but if done right it's a blast and you can limit out in no time... and then just post up for beers and watch the other boats partake in the madness.

Best of luck to those heading out this weekend for sox!

Attachments

• sockeye-setup.jpg
    sockeye-setup.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,141
The only Sockeye flasher I ever use and proven over the years to be the best I tried. What does it look like?

^^^^That right there looks just like the 10 I use!^^^^

Tried & true

Here's a similar setup to what I like from the recent BC outdoor magazine article on sockeye fishing. The whole article is a great summary of the sockeye fishery in general so I'd suggest reading it if you're new to the game.

As has been said already, keep your boat in gear and your gear down once you get a hit as others will follow. It helps to have a few able crew mates to work the gear and drive the boat and net the fish properly but if done right it's a blast and you can limit out in no time... and then just post up for beers and watch the other boats partake in the madness.

Best of luck to those heading out this weekend for sox!

How do those dummies not get tangled ? 4' apart and 3' back ,wouldnt they rotate into each other . I go 4' out and 6' apart and even then ???

How do those dummies not get tangled ? 4' apart and 3' back ,wouldnt they rotate into each other . I go 4' out and 6' apart and even then ???

I tend to agree, the drawing is good however the spacing is suspect. Especally trolling so slow and inevitably making a turn or two there's bound to be some tangles. I would stretch them apart a bit more.

Looks like a Coho Special almost? I have one or two. I don't think the exact flasher is that important.

Last edited by a moderator:
be careful with your stacking at the mouth of the fraser. i've seen some set ups on here that will cause you a lot of grief. with the numbers expected this year you most likely only need one dummy on each dr. try that 1st then add if needed. (2010 i used one only, then bought 2 cone zones and used one on each dr for the dummy, worked great, one red and one green) with a dummy i use about a 6' leader and add 1st lie 8 to 10' above it, if using a cone zone you can go less, then stack lines a minimum of 20' apart, if the tide is really running and u r fishing in close to say t10 you may have to go to a 25-30' stack spread. I like to alternate red and green flashers like a xmas tree, lol. i do have and use those flashers pictured above at times, used them for dummies and on the line. i also use a bit longer leader 27-30in and troll a wee bit faster than most, around 2 knts and maybe a bit more at times. this is a very successful technique

cheers and gl out there, should be great fairly long sockeye season.

you don't even need dummies and running 3 dummies plus 2 lines stacked is way over-kill. It's supposed to be fun and untangling 5 flashers is not fun.

I can't wait for taste of fresh, yummy sockeye.
Best August dinner in BC is fresh Chilliwack corn and fresh BBQ salmon!!

I am working tomorrow but hoping some of you lucky devils who are fishing can send in a report of numbers and general areas that sockeye are being seen, and caught.

Good Luck tomorrow "You Devils":cool:

This is what i run on south island on JDF.

I run a green hotspot dummy on the ball..

Than up at 7-8 feet I run my gear...Usually a flasher with green/red in it... I run pink or orange squirts...it varies on water conditions/time of day. Same distance back..

Then up another 7-8 a run another dummy usually red.

I zig zag through tidelines till I find them, and have a set speed that usually works for me......

As for Alberni sockeye different fishery and I find different technique. In alberni seems morning is best, but you can get them in straight all day if your on them. Also a lot of the lures I have for alberni don't seem to work as well on JDF. Just what I found...

BTW I experimented with dummies/without... Makes a huge difference. Often can out fish people not using them.. Especially when it get slow.Those fish love the flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
anybody run one side for sockeye and run the other side normal for springs? or does that kinda defeat the idea?

anybody run one side for sockeye and run the other side normal for springs? or does that kinda defeat the idea?

A person most certainly can, I have done it in the past with good success, certainly not the success one would have if targeting them specifically but it's still effective. The only thing working against you a bit is location. In most areas you tend to hug the banks for chinook, not always but it's more common with socks they are usually fished in deeper water. But regardless it can be done. I do it often especially on pink years I will run two rods set for chinook and a third down the middle for other species.

It's fishing, there are no hard rules, never be afraid to try different stuff one never knows what can happen.

you don't even need dummies and running 3 dummies plus 2 lines stacked is way over-kill. It's supposed to be fun and untangling 5 flashers is not fun.
Yup-some people like to make things as complicated as possible-if you're doing it right and running your gear through a school of biters you'll get fish.

lots of springs around the mouth of the fraser thru aug sept and they will take the sockeye gear, i find particularly the glow heads and glow stripe to be the most effective over the years. no need to use one side different to start with anyhow. i would get close to your limit of of socks and then switch over completely to target springs rather than run 1/2 and 1/2. but you will get springs on the pink gear.

cheers and gl out there

lots of springs around the mouth of the fraser thru aug sept and they will take the sockeye gear....
Yes and too many of them are this size

TinySalmon001.jpg

Back