Sockeye opening this year in Georgia Strait?

daddystoy

I know this is far too early to ask and the answers will all be speculation but the uncertainty is killing me!

What are the chances that they WON"T or WILL open sockeye for us this year. It is the 4 year cycle again for the Adams River run.
And I will be retired this summer and have BIG plans to be out there slaying them as much as possible!!!

they will probably be open, but if the SRKW restrictions go though it might be hard to find a spot to fish for them in Vancouver.

yup, even if sockeye return in great numbers (enough to justify a rec opening) the chinook restrictions / SRKW closure zones will mean that many of the 'usual' sockeye fishing spots may be closed for us. Given the recent report on how great the ocean conditions were last year (in the north pacific) I'm hoping that means those returning sockeye have fattened up nicely on their return home. We shall see. Been a long time since we could keep a few sockeye around the vancouver area but it's a ton of fun for families and others so hopefully we are thrown a bone later this summer.

Yes, hoping for a repeat of the 2014 cycle. Also need a healthy diversion rate down the inside to get a crack at them here around Deepwater and Greensea.

They overfished the return in 2018, while i'm optimistic the fishery will open, Im less optimistic that will see high return numbers.

Ive fished the Sandheads for over 20 years and always seems to be talk about the poor sockeye returns, nature will come thru and this year will be good but the closures will screw us and that should not be accepted at all, I'm fishing for the Sockeye because it'll be my last wack at them before I move to Mexico so the DFO can KMA hahaha

They overfished the return in 2018, while i'm optimistic the fishery will open, Im less optimistic that will see high return numbers.
Ive fished the Sandheads for over 20 years and always seems to be talk about the poor sockeye returns, nature will come thru and this year will be good but the closures will screw us and that should not be accepted at all, I'm fishing for the Sockeye because it'll be my last wack at them before I move to Mexico so the DFO can KMA hahaha
I got hooked on Salmon fishing because of the 2018 sockeye run. Since then I have bought a boat, mooching fishing reels, down riggers and assortment of fishing equipment in anticipation of the 2022 run. Also booked the last two weeks of August and the first week of September off. Come hell or high water, I will be fishing for this year even if I have to troll around sandheads for dog fish.

I got hooked on Salmon fishing because of the 2018 sockeye run. Since then I have bought a boat, mooching fishing reels, down riggers and assortment of fishing equipment in anticipation of the 2022 run. Also booked the last two weeks of August and the first week of September off. Come hell or high water, I will be fishing for this year even if I have to troll around sandheads for dog fish.
If the same amount of boats go out as the last run and fish what's the DFO going to do catch all 400 of us , cmon people enough is enough of this BS especially if the run is millions and millions of Sockeye, we have a right to 2 or 3 thousand at least F the whales .....REALLY !!!
Nothing violent just fish and enjoy , is that so bad with all we've gone threw this past 3 yrs youd think our Govt would consider it once in 4 years , ggggeeeeeeeeessss

Adams river 2018 was 65 percent short of an average escapement due to over fishing and mismanagement. just over a half million fish showed up to spawn. There will be lots of fish, however they will need to manage it this time so they can get their escapement. Just over 2.5 million is their goal for escapement

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2019-02-20-at-12.44.29-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2019-02-20-at-12.44.29-PM.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 28
Back