Sockeye gone

quote:Originally posted by Marsman

It is confusing indeed but open. Look at their main site. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.htm It does not say the banana areas until you go down to the bottom. I'll be out tomorrow morning. As far as I read it closed Sunday 1 hr after sunset.
Cheers, Rob

I was wrong with this. The salt is open after Sunday till further notice but the Fraser closes. For those that did not make it out it appears to be open for a while longer. Good on the DFO to keep the salt open for the guides and business.

R

Looks like we stay open.... [?]

Category(s): ABORIGINAL - General Information
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject: FN0842-Salmon: Fraser River Sockeye Update - Sept 17 - Areas 11 to 29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fraser River Panel met today to review stock assessment data on the Fraser
River sockeye runs, consider harvest opportunities, and discuss sockeye
migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed. The marine migration of
Fraser sockeye through the marine assessment areas is complete. The migration
of sockeye past Mission has been variable but strong over the past several
days, while the migration of sockeye past Hells Gate continues to be strong.
The total run size estimate for Fraser River sockeye this season of 34,546,000
fish was unchanged at the meeting today. The estimated total catch of Fraser
sockeye to-date is 13,100,000 fish.

The run size estimates of 3,800,000 Early Summer-run and 5,200,000 Summer-run
sockeye were unchanged at the meeting today. The estimated escapements of Early
Summer-run and Summer-run sockeye past Mission through September 16 are
2,701,000 and 3,137,000 fish, respectively.

Present assessments suggest that approximately 9,000,000 Late-run sockeye are
currently delaying in the lower Strait of Georgia. At the meeting today, the
current run size estimates of 1,200,000 Harrison, 24,000,000 Late
Shuswap/Weaver, and 241,000 Birkenhead stock-group sockeye were unchanged. The
estimated escapement of Late-run sockeye past Mission through September 16 is
6,887,000 fish.

Migration conditions for sockeye in the Fraser River are currently satisfactory
and the management adjustments were unchanged at the meeting today. Management
adjustments are employed to help achieve spawning escapement targets for Fraser
River sockeye.

The DFO spawning escapement update for Fraser sockeye on September 16 reported
that sockeye arriving on their spawning grounds continue to be in generally
good condition. Please refer to the DFO website at http://www.pac.dfo-
mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/escapeudStA.htm for more details.

This is the last scheduled in-season news release of the Panel in 2010.

Conservation measures continue to remain in place to limit Canadian
exploitation rates for Interior Fraser River coho.

No further Fraser sockeye harvest opportunities are planned for Area B, Area D
or Area E.

The following fisheries are open:

Licence Area H troll will close Saturday, September 18 at 11:59 hours in
portions of Management Areas 18 and 29. Please refer to the specific Fishery
Notice for further details.

Recreational fishing closes for sockeye retention in the lower Fraser River on
Sept 19th and near Lillooet and the Thompson Rivers in the interior on Sept
30th. Please refer to the specific Fishery Notices for further details.

First Nation fisheries vary by areas with opportunities in marine and Fraser
River area; consult with local DFO offices for openings.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Barry Rosenberger 250-851-4892

I am heading out saturday about 11 am. I use vhf channel 88a and answer to "eastpoint". Anyone have or want any reports give me a call

eastpoint

They are still there in numbers, just have to work harder and longer, still best at 50 to 70 feet.

Hell of a good whale viewing today too.

Sandheads south and right at the mouth was best for us today.

HT

quote:Originally posted by high tide

They are still there in numbers, just have to work harder and longer, still best at 50 to 70 feet.

HT
Hightide how did you do ?.....I just heard it was dead zone down there today from one of the best soc guys I know. ....at Sandheads/hooter and nary a fish to be caught was reported. Whales likely.

quote:Originally posted by eastpoint

I am heading out saturday about 11 am. I use vhf channel 88a and answer to "eastpoint". Anyone have or want any reports give me a call

eastpoint

I'm holding off till later around 11am. I'll turn on the radio. I answer to Marsman. Cheers

We did ok, but had to stay all day, limited by 5 pm, that said the best bite came around 3.
Tons of fish right at the mouth in the 300 foot zone, wierd tide and wind made things a challenge but the long hrs and hard work paid off for us. It just takes way longer then it did. Still it is a site to see so many fish at once. For about 2 hours, you could not look up with out seeing 5 to 10 at once. It has been nothing but an incredible thing to see these last 5 weeks.
The ones we bonked yesterday were still quite fresh, silver, although we saw numbers with that pink belly. Our success came at 50 to 70 feet again. Be prepared for a long day. It was very tempting at times to get all those attractors off and just target springs, but, how offen do we get the chance at the sox. So Springin it from here on for me. Freezer has amble and the canner even got used this year !

Good luck every one

HT

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

HT
Hightide how did you do ?.....I just heard it was dead zone down there today from one of the best soc guys I know. ....at Sandheads/hooter and nary a fish to be caught was reported. Whales likely.
Hi Peahead, I fished Monday and Friday between the mouth and the canoe pass can and yes there are tons of sox still jumping but they are definitely not feeding, I fished for 12 hours Monday boxed 3 lost 2. Yesterday we fished from 11:30 till 7:00 and we boxed 2 and lost 2. at one point yesterday I was in a school as big as the schools as we were seeing a month ago were we were limiting out in an hour and they were taking everything including anchovies which I've only seen this year and last year when I released at least 5 beauty sox! no releasing this year thank god,but yesterday the fish wouldn't hit, well they'd hit the boat but not the lines lol. I listened to all the chatter on the radio and it sounded pretty slow,talked to two guys one at the ramp and a friend of mine that's always out there too and my friend got skunked which is EXTREMELY RARE and the guy at the boat launch had 1, still fun, but gets frustrating when there bouncing off the boat, if I didn't know any better I'd think there laughing at us.

Cheers Dan

We did ok, but had to stay all day, limited by 5 pm, that said the best bite came around 3.
Tons of fish right at the mouth in the 300 foot zone, wierd tide and wind made things a challenge but the long hrs and hard work paid off for us. It just takes way longer then it did. Still it is a site to see so many fish at once. For about 2 hours, you could not look up with out seeing 5 to 10 at once. It has been nothing but an incredible thing to see these last 5 weeks.
The ones we bonked yesterday were still quite fresh, silver, although we saw numbers with that pink belly. Our success came at 50 to 70 feet again. Be prepared for a long day. It was very tempting at times to get all those attractors off and just target springs, but, how offen do we get the chance at the sox. So Springin it from here on for me. Freezer has amble and the canner even got used this year !

Good luck every one

HT
Well done HT!! I'm doing nothing different than I have been these last 5 weeks minus the chovies. I wonder what I'm doing wrong, my flashers and hootchie setup came right off a commercial trawler, I couldn't keep the sox off them a few weeks ago, oh well that's fishing...

Cheers Dan

Good luck every one

HT

Thanks for that High Tide and Viewtall. I haven't been out for a week so teah I am just trying to get a feel for whats happening down there.... the fellow I know who I was refering in my last post was limiting out very fast several days this week....I mean fast, not just yak....like as good, if not better than mid august...... 12 in less than an hour fast. ....then Friday he says nothing for the whole charter......although probably switched to Chinook for part of the time if socs weren't cooperating. Kinda odd unless it was the Whales who put them off the bite and not just the late season lock jaw just kicking in on a Friday. If you limited 2 or 3 guys on Friday no matter how long it took you should be happy I think as you did that on a pretty slow day from what I heard.
to get a feel for what happewned. down there as the fellow I was t

We went out Saturday to sandheads at 11am after the rain stoped, as planned. Had two hook ups right away and lost both. Move around and found huge schools with constant jumpers. Unfortunately very few bighters. Only saw the very odd one netted. Still no fish for us in the box so started to talk about plan B at 4:30. Decided to try until 5 then head back with a hour at the Capilano on the way home. 4:45 we get a sockeye in the boat and try for another 1/2 hour. Probably saw 10,000 jumpers all day non stop. Very frustrating!

Pull the gear and headed for the Cap and a change of prey. Arrive about 6:15pm and study the current and boats present. Fish only 2 rods with green and white hootchie at 98' and GloGreen coyote spoon at 87'. Very shortly after dropping down and getting on the line we chose, coyote rod pops up, off the rigger clip and spring on. Nice fight with a spring for a change from reeling in the socs. Boat a 15lb fish. reload and head back to same line and turn around to head back over hook up spot. Repeat our last path and like clock work we hit another. This time was suprising as the fish came up to the surface way behind the boat and we could see a nice chinook. Rolled around then down he goes. Fight him near to the boat and he just holds out of reach. Keep waiting for a chance to net fish, starting to get dark. Finally hoist it in the boat, 24lb! One last and late drift but too dark, pick up gear and glad we bailed on the sockeye.

Eastpoint

We went out Saturday to sandheads at 11am after the rain stoped, as planned. Had two hook ups right away and lost both. Move around and found huge schools with constant jumpers. Unfortunately very few bighters. Only saw the very odd one netted. Still no fish for us in the box so started to talk about plan B at 4:30. Decided to try until 5 then head back with a hour at the Capilano on the way home. 4:45 we get a sockeye in the boat and try for another 1/2 hour. Probably saw 10,000 jumpers all day non stop. Very frustrating!

Pull the gear and headed for the Cap and a change of prey. Arrive about 6:15pm and study the current and boats present. Fish only 2 rods with green and white hootchie at 98' and GloGreen coyote spoon at 87'. Very shortly after dropping down and getting on the line we chose, coyote rod pops up, off the rigger clip and spring on. Nice fight with a spring for a change from reeling in the socs. Boat a 15lb fish. reload and head back to same line and turn around to head back over hook up spot. Repeat our last path and like clock work we hit another. This time was suprising as the fish came up to the surface way behind the boat and we could see a nice chinook. Rolled around then down he goes. Fight him near to the boat and he just holds out of reach. Keep waiting for a chance to net fish, starting to get dark. Finally hoist it in the boat, 24lb! One last and late drift but too dark, pick up gear and glad we bailed on the sockeye.

Eastpoint

Nicely done eastpoint! I had the same scenario a couple days ago. Was on my way to Sandheads but turned around at the T10 and decided to go try for Springs over at the Cap. Did one side purple haze hootchie and a green & white right off the bottom. Other side was 2 herring teaser heads. Didn't get any action until about 1pm when it was high tide then bang, 12-15lb coho landed on the teaser. Shortly after turning around and going back to the same area bang, 20ish pound spring on the teaser again. Pulled up my other side and switched to all herring teasers. Shortly after going around the exact same spot bang! Another big one was on but I lost it. For a second I thought I snagged bottom because of the serious action it was giving. Dropped in another herring, turned around and looped around the same spot again and bang! Another 20ish pound spring. Everyone else out there was scratching their heads wondering how we kept hitting fish in the exact same spot! Snapped my downrigger line on the last one but it was well worth it! Had to pack it in for the day around 3pm but I would've stayed out longer if my friend didnt have to leave.

Nicely done eastpoint! I had the same scenario a couple days ago. Was on my way to Sandheads but turned around at the T10 and decided to go try for Springs over at the Cap. Did one side purple haze hootchie and a green & white right off the bottom. Other side was 2 herring teaser heads. Didn't get any action until about 1pm when it was high tide then bang, 12-15lb coho landed on the teaser. Shortly after turning around and going back to the same area bang, 20ish pound spring on the teaser again. Pulled up my other side and switched to all herring teasers. Shortly after going around the exact same spot bang! Another big one was on but I lost it. For a second I thought I snagged bottom because of the serious action it was giving. Dropped in another herring, turned around and looped around the same spot again and bang! Another 20ish pound spring. Everyone else out there was scratching their heads wondering how we kept hitting fish in the exact same spot! Snapped my downrigger line on the last one but it was well worth it! Had to pack it in for the day around 3pm but I would've stayed out longer if my friend didnt have to leave.

Nice work on the springs guys . Been doing pretty good there myself on anchovies , what size herring are you rolling ? Going to try and get out tuesday . Have some big herring I have been saving for this fall ., it might be time to throw em down. uv white hoochy has been a solid producer as well. Were your springs all whites ?

Bondo, Yah I felt a gut instinct to try something different than what was not working.
It really paid off. It will be interesting to see how the fall goes for coho and chinook

Eastpoint

Fished the sandheads this evening, rained on and off the whole time.

Finally found a school around 6:30 and quickly landed a nice, bright silver 5lb'er. Hunted for the same school without success until I found another around 7:30. My sonar was black with fish between 50-70ft.

Proceeded to lose 3 a the boat within about 15 minutes! These head shakers really know how to get off a barbless hook!

By then it was too dark and no more bites. Will be out again tomorrow evening if the wind is calm.

Cheers

Headed out Sunday morning to sandheads. Fishing was slow until we found the MASSIVE skools further south. Fish were everywhere and the action was fairly consistent if you stayed with the fish. Only got to fish for about an hour before we had to head in. Newbs had a hard time landing fish, so our catch to loss ratio was pretty hurting, but still a fun hour, after a slow start.
Is sockeye fishing done now, even in the chuck outside the river??

Back