Sockeye gone

We were out yesterday morning just north of the south arm. We found those huge schools and boated 4 then the seiners came in and pushed us out. One guy cut in front of us and started dropping the net. Well, i had to pull the gear quick on one side and hang a hard right. We got out of there. I wonder how many coho are buried at the bottom of 44,000 sockeye in a set. We headed south after than and did not have any luck. Got pretty nasty at times.
Rob

Anybody been going after the local sockeye? Thinking of going out one last time before it closes.

quote:Originally posted by Bonker43

Anybody been going after the local sockeye? Thinking of going out one last time before it closes.

I was just going to post the same question... Anyone? I'm planning on heading out Friday or Saturday. Give some time for some fresh to move in after those seiners cleaned it out on Friday - Monday.
Cheers

Bondo from the 'vancouver' thread is the only one that I have heard was planning on going out yesterday for socs in the morn. He promised to post results on the thread from yesterday ....maybe ask him.

quote:Originally posted by Marsman

quote:Originally posted by Bonker43

I was just going to post the same question... Anyone? I'm planning on heading out Friday or Saturday. Give some time for some fresh to move in after those seiners cleaned it out on Friday - Monday.
Cheers
Just got word.....got to go way south....very slow yesterday north of lightship but south of hooter lots of sockeye and still biting.

Yah, thats what my buddy said. He was out himself on Sunday a had his limit and lost a bunch also. He said they were practically jumping in the boat off Sandheads. Water was rough tough. I plan to have one more day fishing for sockeye before it closes.

Easpoint

Another guide reported good catches at Hooters, not crabs and not that hooters. Where is hooters relative to sandheads?

Eastpoint

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

Bondo from the 'vancouver' thread is the only one that I have heard was planning on going out yesterday for socs in the morn. He promised to post results on the thread from yesterday ....maybe ask him.

Well, I was out on the water yesterday for 14 hours (haven't been out in awhile so I figured I may as well make it a long one!). Launched at Vanier park in Vancouver and went all the way around to just southwest of sandheads. Bunch of boats were fishing at bell buoy and fish were popping up on the finder but decided to keep going. Lots of boats were out there by sandheads (commercial too) and fish were jumping everywhere all day. Only landed one and lost 2. Figured out that I've been trolling way too fast at the lowest speed my boat can go. Going to eventually get a kicker but temporary fix will be towing a couple 20L buckets to slow it down. Saw a few boats catching fish but came talked to some who didnt land any all day. If I had my net hanging over the side I would've caught more fish than I did! Going out again possibly Thursday, Friday morning for sure. All the action is at the south-arm southwards towards sandheads.

quote:Originally posted by bondo

Well, I was out on the water yesterday for 14 hours (haven't been out in awhile so I figured I may as well make it a long one!). Launched at Vanier park in Vancouver and went all the way around to just southwest of sandheads. Bunch of boats were fishing at bell buoy and fish were popping up on the finder but decided to keep going. Lots of boats were out there by sandheads (commercial too) and fish were jumping everywhere all day. Only landed one and lost 2. Figured out that I've been trolling way too fast at the lowest speed my boat can go. Going to eventually get a kicker but temporary fix will be towing a couple 20L buckets to slow it down. Saw a few boats catching fish but came talked to some who didnt land any all day. If I had my net hanging over the side I would've caught more fish than I did! Going out again possibly Thursday, Friday morning for sure. All the action is at the south-arm southwards towards sandheads.

Hi Bondo ...if boat trolls too fast just put motor out of gear regularily, especially when you see school on sounder. Make turns too so inside lines slow down. Longer leader at faster troll may help too. Maybe try 27-28" leader as opposed to 20-23" for example.

Hi Bondo ...if boat trolls too fast just put motor out of gear regularily, especially when you see school on sounder. Make turns too so inside lines slow down. Longer leader at faster troll may help too. Maybe try 27-28" leader as opposed to 20-23" for example.

Hey Peahead, I started doing that quite often but had to do it almost every 20 secs since it picked up speed very quickly. I was thinking maybe a longer leader would help a bunch too. I'm using 22-25" at the moment. Going to try the buckets and extending my leaders and hopefully it will prove better results. Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

Just looking at the DFO notices and I'm confused about this. Does this mean it's OK to anywhere in Area 29 outside the Fraser River until further notice for Sockeye?

"Recreational fishing remains open for sockeye retention in the marine areas
until further notice and in the tidal and non-tidal waters of the Fraser River
until September 19th as described in FN0794 and FN0795. Please refer to the
specific Fishery Notices for other areas."

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=127889&ID=recreational

South Arm is producing limits for those so inclined from talking with local guides.

Going to try south arm / sandheads one more time for sox tomorrow depending on the wind then dropping in the spring gear. Know of a couple people as well limiting out on sox in the past couple days but only at south arm. North is a ghost-town. Heard Coho are in big numbers over at Ambleside as well.

I went past the south arm today. the trollers are massed from sandheads down towards canoe pass buoy. mixed in with them are the sporties. Saw very few above sandheads towards t10. Saw one seiner working there. Large amount of sporties from knuckle buoy to sandheads and out about 3/4 mile. Was in westshore on monday night and the fish from there to sandheads was massive .

good luck I am stillat work till next week, save some for me. Did spot some jumpers farther out above sandheads about 3-4 miles out

Sandheads is producing easy limits and great action. Get out now for your last Sockeye fix for at least 2 years....likely 3 or even 4 years. One buddy finished with 18 today and 14 yesterday.

We headed out to Sand heads from the south arm around 8am. There was around 10-15 boats fishing straight off the mouth. We joined in and as soon as I dropped the first side the bottom line went off before I could get to the other side, but lost it at the back of the boat. My buddy and I went 6 for 10 with 2 double headers in sockeye and no coho or springs hooked. It was such a perfect day with the sun and flat water. We fished at 70'(chain gang) with the first line at 62'. Talked to a guy that hit one when things dried up for an hour or so and that was at 100. I tried 100-130 with no luck. I moved the gear back up to 70 and hit another.

I'm planning on getting out there again on Saturday if the winds allow.

Cheers, Rob

Dear Magician,

Could you tell me the specifics for catching sockeye in the salt?

Such as flasher color, leader length, hook size and color, time of day, depth.
What's a chain gang???

Any tips for getting the sox?

Thanks, John

quote:Originally posted by nootka

Dear Magician,

Could you tell me the specifics for catching sockeye in the salt?

Such as flasher color, leader length, hook size and color, time of day, depth.
What's a chain gang???

Any tips for getting the sox?

Thanks, John

Depending on your boat... but here's a general guide.

Run a dummy flasher off your ball with a 6 foot lead off the wire. Lower 4 to 6 feet and clip on another dummy. Lower another 6 feet. Clip on your flasher and leader. Leader should be 25-28 inches. Trolling speed over ground is best 1.7 knots and your flashers should be revolving quite slowly..1 revolution per second or thereabouts. Hooks are 3/0 or 4/0 Black Owners/Gamis or Stainless Mustad 9510 in 4/0 (my choice). Flasher colour is irrelevant...get them on your gear. Good ol' plain Jane Hotspots work just fine. Clip your lines just on a far enough lead so it's just behind the dummy flashers. Best depths have been with the gear anywhere from 50-85 feet. Time of day is best around Slack Tides...2 hours before to 2 hours after.

Good luck bud, we're thought to be closing September 19..48 more hours.

Tight lines and good fishing.

Back