sockeye forcast for port alberni

Was wondering if anybody has guess on the size of return for this year. With the snow pack low might hold up a little more. Thanks

supposed to be the biggest in recent history,, dont know the numbers tho.

Heard today at a meeting in Nanaimo that they usually see 30,000-40,000 jacks in each years returns. Last year the number was around 400,000.....that tells he story. Have fun up there. Also hard that Chinook returns on the west coast of the Island are going to be spectacular...Nootka was mentioned. We were told this should be the best fishing you will see in your lifetime! Quite the prediction.

I hope that the run is managed correct this year. just don't want to see seine boats lined up from June 1st - August 15th.

1.4 -3 million. Current thinking is more like high end of the range. Prelim forecast is 1.4 million as this is the conservative low end estimate. Based on the unusually high number of jacks last year combined with the record numbers of smolts out migrating in this season's brood year it will be an epic return.

Is June 20th too early to take an unpaid day from work to fish this run. I have 8 weeks off beginning on June 27.

Official pre season forecast is 1.6 million. Season will open June 1 with daily possession limits of 4. Run forecast could be upgraded July 1 after the initial assessments are complete. If you haven't already started tying gear, it's a good time, especially with how the Canucks are playing - we need some quality entertainment to fill the void!

June 20th might be go time with the low snow pack. As for the nets it will be full go once the river hits its target number which is something like a 180kish (don't quote it), once the river has the escapement it will be full out gill net seine show as we don't have priority access to sockeye like we do with Chinooks and ho's.
Nootka is looking great for action but Barkley will be similar to last year but slightly better

I'm thinking of going kayak fishing for some sockeye this summer. Is there a good beach or marina to launch from. To be close to the prime fishing areas. Not from alberini so I don't know the area too well. Thanks for the help

I'm thinking of going kayak fishing for some sockeye this summer. Is there a good beach or marina to launch from. To be close to the prime fishing areas. Not from alberini so I don't know the area too well. Thanks for the help

Try China creek. Be real close to where we usually fish should be an easy paddle from there.

China creek for sure, but watch out for the winds that blow up everyday. Usually gets bad around 11 to noon. I would NOT want to be out there in a kayak in those winds.

June 20th might be go time with the low snow pack. As for the nets it will be full go once the river hits its target number which is something like a 180kish (don't quote it), once the river has the escapement it will be full out gill net seine show as we don't have priority access to sockeye like we do with Chinooks and ho's.
Nootka is looking great for action but Barkley will be similar to last year but slightly better
Chinook forecast isn't done yet. Early number crunching is ranging for 30 to 40K. Anything over 35K will result in a return to former catch limits. There were a lot of jacks last season so that could bode well for a larger return than last year. Last year was actually great fishing for me, and tons of fish under 77 cm. coho last season was very strong which helped keep it very interesting. This season forecast is strong but not quite as many as last year.

China creek for sure, but watch out for the winds that blow up everyday. Usually gets bad around 11 to noon. I would NOT want to be out there in a kayak in those winds.

Cool thanks for the info!! I go fishing a lot off of sooke so I'm use to a little wind and tide and I always check the wind before I go out. safety first. But roughly how for off china creek shore are most of the fish? Are they a 100-200 meters or are they closer to 1 km. much thanks for all the info!!!!

Right across the canal from the marina is a good place to start and towards town on that same side is cous creek. Look for the logs tied up and make some passes along them. Be safe out there a lot of boats don't slow down maybe have a flag flying high.

Good luck

Back