Sockeye for sale

B

Brisco

Someone I know bought sockeye from natives at a Vancouver house. This person will not tell me the location. This person will not step on my boat again and I tore a strip off him. He actually brought 2 fish over.If I thought D.F.O. would do something I would report him.:(

Whether you think they will do something or not why not call the 1-8-- Observe, Report, Record number. Doesn't hurt anything to at least get it on record. Twist you 'friends' arm and find out where!

IF he bought them from natives ??
they are allowed to sell them.
(if sockeye are open in the area)

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

I can't ruin a family relationship over this. He actually thought he was doing me a favour and I threw it back in his face.He claims the natives are selling the fish out of a home in Vancouver and it is well known. I'll be out at the T-10 tommorow.

No they aren't...it's their "food fishery"

That's right! Catch fish, sell fish, use money to buy beer and potato chips!
I am not trying to be racist,I just see this all the time.Sad but true

Hooch

Don't get me wrong, i don't agree with it either..
but i have known this to happen for many years
thought it was within their rights to bargain fish for ???

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Hooch .. Don’t stereotype.
It’s not even clear if what this person is doing, is wrong.
You might even what to edit your post. GLG

Here we go again , every year , It is not illegal for them to sell the fish , I ask you this question then , all of you on this site if you caught fish and sold them to whomever ,is it illegal ?
Regardless of your race ................ ?
I refrain from speaking of the many other races who do the same thing but are never mentioned here............
Nice shot !

AL

Money Sucks! I try to give most of my fish away. To Old Folks for instance that can't get out anymore. Positive actions have so much more power than negative ones. Do the right thing Eh?

I will not edit my post, but I will retract formally to all on my previous statement.My anger on this subject gets the better of me at times.
The world is too small to show favor or discrimination to any one race or creed,no matter the circumstance.
I apologize to any and all people who find my last post offensive.My judgement is misdirected toward those who profit from a system that permits such actions,rather than those who mandate policy at the expense of this planet and it's inhabitants.

Enough said

Hooch

Hooch;

Don't apologize many people feel the same way as you. The problem I have is that with declining runs there is no accountability for the removals. DFO has no idea how many fish are removed or how many will actually make it to the spawning grounds. As far as I'm concerned it is total crap and another show of DFO's total mismanagement of the resource.

cheers

I support the Indians. If they sell it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. They have always "traded" and "bartered" fish but the government has criminalized them by not recognizing this fact. I would suggest that there would be more fish around if 1) there weren't so many rivers dammed for power, 2) there wasn't so much industrial pollution, 3) there was no logging 4) there was no mining, 5) destructive commercial fishing practices were banned etc, etc, etc.
Quit blaming the Indians for dwindling fish stocks and start putting the blame where it belongs, on all of us who enjoy a "higher standard of living". [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by haverodwilltravel

Quit blaming the Indians for dwindling fish stocks and start putting the blame where it belongs, on all of us who enjoy a "higher standard of living". [}:)]
+100%

Hooch - No need to apologize. Just though you might want to reword your statement.
FN stereotyping is counterproductive. We don’t know under what circumstance these fish were caught and being sold. The Supreme Court of Canada has spoken on this subject. The government may allow a group special privileges based on affirmative action. This is not a right. It is merely a way to help out a community that needs our support. What’s better a leg up or a handout? The fish can be harvested at this time so why not if it is done correctly. GLG
edit for spelling

Howdy,

Indeed, Indian-bashing should have no place here. Seems to me they were the consummate-conservationists till the white-man showed up. For thousands of years they took what they needed, always with an eagle-eye on escapement requirements.

I'm not saying that FN people don't break the rules; some do. Same as some of the commercial boys do as well as some of us sporties'.

The problem - regardless of the color of your skin - is DFO incompetence!Chronic abundance miscalculations, woefully inadequate and politically-biased enforcement policy, failure to prioritize and adequately fund habitat restoration/rehabilitation, are but three of the problems dooming this bureaucratically top-heavy circus to continuous failure. If we don't stand up and do something about it - soon the Wild Pacific Salmon will go the way of the East Coast Cod fishery... and we'll all have to find another subject to focus all our finger-pointing on.

Just my two-cents.

Terry

Wild Salmon Alliance

quote: soon the Wild Pacific Salmon will go the way of the East Coast Cod fishery... and we'll all have to find another subject to focus all our finger-pointing on.

God I hope your wrong Terry. That statement just scared the crap out of me because I think you might be right.

Bang on Terry

OK, so who is up for a rally then. Enough f#$%'kn around here. Lets take a few of our politicians and start by rubbing their noses in this S#$%^t they refer to as politics.

I am so done with this crap. I am serious guys.

Lets make a date and meet up at the legislative stairs.

IT IS TIME TO DO THIS.

If there is enough interest here , I would think we could put together some pretty heavyweight alliances. Our fishery deserves this utmost attention before it is too late. We don't need a bunch of howling rednecks though. What we need is a well thought out plan that directs attention to matters at hand. Something and anything will only be acheived so long as there is a descisive plan that we all can agree upon. We need to hit this with some serious force.

Ideas?

Lets get something rolling here.

Back