sockeye fishing in port alberni

Talked with a buddy tonight who fished during the monsoons on Saturday.
They got 5 sox, but it took from 5am to 2pm to do it, that is persistence - kudos to them!
27" leaders and white flashers.
1 early on, then 4 at once later in the morning.
I bet the floor of the boat made a crunchy crinkly sound after that day LOL
Smiley.

I work with a native gentlemen real good friend of mine was given 30 sockeye from his band, he gave me 4 and they have some real size to them reminded me of the ones we were catching north of campbell river a couple years ago with that huge fraser sockeye run!

We went to Kirby today nothing but small springs and a green filled passenger. So we headed to the dam for a couple of sockeye and a resupply of grocerys, turns out we should have tried the evening bite. At the cleaning station were 4 guys all with limits. They launched at 2:30pm and came back in at 8:30pm. Not super hot fishing but they have started biting today.

I second that. Dropped by Gone Fishin at lunch and heard this morning and yesterday that people were starting to get them. Decided to give it a try after supper, 7 landed before dark.....they're biting!!!!

Thank goodness! Have had the upcoming weekend planned for camping at China Creek for quite a while. I was worried and about to buy more jerrycans so I could bring enough gas for daily runs to the sound for Chinooks and Halis since there was no positive signs for sox.

Any word on where in the inlet to get'em?

... I was told limits were caught yesterday and today...truth or propaganda?

Truth. :)

... Any word on where in the inlet to get'em?

Reports from yesterday came in from Cous, Dunsmuir, right in front of China, Arden and down to the Slide towards the Narrows. Cleaning stations were the busiest they have been to date with many limits realized. A tad shallow in the early, fifteen feet was the magic mark for many. And none I heard from went any deeper than 45 feet throughout the morning.

A few of the Ladz hit it again early today, had a little too much on the plate to go for the spin. Should have reports on how it went today in hand shortly...

Looks like it's starting... :D

Cheers,
Nog

Is their a seine opening on the 25th? Any idea of the sportfishing only zone if their is one?

As Previously Posted:

"Area B Seine - fishery planned for June 25th. There will be a closed area for seines as recommended by the recreational sector. This area is subject to adjustment by the Area 23 Salmon Harvest committee, depending on sockeye abundance in-season. The initial seine closed area will be bounded in the north by a line from Dunsmuir Point to the pilings north of China Creek and, in the south by a line drawn from Hocking Point due easterly to the opposite shore."

No change to this that I am aware of...

Cheers,
Nog

very low tides over the next while in the am...not too bad launching for socks at first light, but close to 0' when coming back to the ramp a little later in the morning. If you're new to this fishery, use some caution. The current at the ramp will be about 8 knots and there will be dock space for 1 or 2 boats per lane max. There is a back-eddy once you get out of the main flow that takes you back upstream.

If you happen to be waiting to launch at this time, do everyone a favour and stroll down to the docks to lend a hand. When backing out into the current at that time, try not to get too out of control...destroyed a prop last year avoiding collision with an out of control Boston Whaler...he was heading downstream backwards trying to figure out what had just happened.

Have fun and good luck!

We'll be out there Thurs night to Friday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to what DOF said, which is all good advice. Be very careful heading in/out the river at a low tide. The markers in the middle are just a guide and the water can get extremely shallow near them. Had to swerve around a boat that stopped suddenly because he realized that his kicker was down and got closer than I wanted, damaged a prop. Not much fun and very expensive. Good luck all.

last time I tried that during peak season without a campsite booked I was turned away...

A yep! X2... they only have a limited number of campsites and for obvious reasons, their guests get first dibs on ramp use and parking (which also has its limits). This is not somewhere that everyone can just show up and launch their boats, would be just as much of a gong show as the Clutesi ramp can get. Just have to take your time, take a deep breath, count to ten, enjoy a vice if you have one (coffee, cigs, or anything else [that is legal], something that calms ya down), pay attention to what is going on around you, lend a hand to those that may need it or at least offer, and remember, we are all supposed to be out there to enjoy ourselves:D.

Showing up before first light usually gives me priority access at my local ramps. Does that work in Alberni or does the gong show start before the sun comes up?

In my expereince gong show starts at about 4am and is chaos till about 9. I like to go out around noon. THe bite in my expereince isnt nearly as hot but you can get your fish and avoid the retardation.

Greeeeeeat sounds like a guy won't be able to navigate the marina on his own then. No I will have to make friends withs people who want to fish and help launch the boat.

Back