So Where Can A Person Find Sole This Big?

You got that right Fishtofino. Starry flounders frequently have a distinct iodine taste ( I have also hear it described as a ammonia smell too ) They are also soft fleshed. So many other good flat fish out there, so I release all the starry flounder I get , or use them for crab bait.
You got that right Fishtofino. Starry flounders frequently have a distinct iodine taste ( I have also hear it described as a ammonia smell too ) They are also soft fleshed. So many other good flat fish out there, so I release all the starry flounder I get , or use them for crab bait.
Starry flounder are very good eating but it is very important to clean them a certain way or they taste horrible. I filet them about the same way as halibut make the cut down the center line and filet outwards towards the fins so you end up with 2 filets from each side then lay the filet skin down and filet the skin off on each one then on each skinless filet the the edge that is closest the fin there is a piece of fat about a quarter to a half inch wide and that runs the length of the filet this part peels away off the meat pretty easy with your knife even without cutting it. Though the fat away That is the part that tastes like poop. Once that strip of fat is removed it's time to eat. Give it a try and see

Starry flounder are very good eating but it is very important to clean them a certain way or they taste horrible. I filet them about the same way as halibut make the cut down the center line and filet outwards towards the fins so you end up with 2 filets from each side then lay the filet skin down and filet the skin off on each one then on each skinless filet the the edge that is closest the fin there is a piece of fat about a quarter to a half inch wide and that runs the length of the filet this part peels away off the meat pretty easy with your knife even without cutting it. Though the fat away That is the part that tastes like poop. Once that strip of fat is removed it's time to eat. Give it a try and see
I totally agree about Starry Flounder being good to eat. We caught some up by Echo Bay one year and they were awesome. Also have to agree with the other poster about Petrale, caught lots of them in my commercial halibut days and a few of them always came home

Back