So Let’s Talk About It, Halibut 2013

With regard to last year's slot limit, where is the data? A number of folks on this thread have posted for and against it but, how can anyone take a position on either side until they've seen the results from last year? If the slot was effective, DFO should be able to show 1) that a significant number of fish surveyed were in fact anglers "second" slot fish 2) the average size of the "slot" fish was significantly smaller than non-"slot" fish and 3) the total poundage saved from the combination of numbers of "slot" fish and the average reduced size equated to a substantial number of extra days of fishing. Until such time, how can any conclusions on it's success and/or endorsement for it's use next season be made?

I predicate all of the foregoing by stating I'm one of those opposed to any "let's just make it work" concessions. I'm a firm believer that the rec fishery should have guaranteed access to a reasonable open season and reasonable quota off the top of the annual TAC, just like what occurs in Alaska. Having said that, it baffles me that folks hold such strong opinions and are prepared to make plans and decisions in the absence of critical data and information. If some on here have seen, or do have access to this information, it hasn't been widely shared to my knowledge.

With regard to last year's slot limit, where is the data? A number of folks on this thread have posted for and against it but, how can anyone take a position on either side until they've seen the results from last year? If the slot was effective, DFO should be able to show 1) that a significant number of fish surveyed were in fact anglers "second" slot fish 2) the average size of the "slot" fish was significantly smaller than non-"slot" fish and 3) the total poundage saved from the combination of numbers of "slot" fish and the average reduced size equated to a substantial number of extra days of fishing. Until such time, how can any conclusions on it's success and/or endorsement for it's use next season be made?

I predicate all of the foregoing by stating I'm one of those opposed to any "let's just make it work" concessions. I'm a firm believer that the rec fishery should have guaranteed access to a reasonable open season and reasonable quota off the top of the annual TAC, just like what occurs in Alaska. Having said that, it baffles me that folks hold such strong opinions and are prepared to make plans and decisions in the absence of critical data and information. If some on here have seen, or do have access to this information, it hasn't been widely shared to my knowledge.

Finally someone who sees it my way.
I vote not to concede anything at this point until DFO takes the stupidity of the experimental licence off the table and apologize for being simply idiotic.
How else are we supposed to take any if their decisions seriously and professionally.
I'd like to see them shut the halibut down mid season and hope to win a seat on our coast in the next election.

You all need to give this some thought.
First there is NO MONEY for anything. The SFAB is a volunteer group and is not set up to deal with money in any form.
They have no insurance for there members as most rod and gun have for slander etc.
Second do you always tell your competition what you are thinking and doing?
Well, using this site is doing just that.
The commercial sector is taking the government to court on the halibut allocation. Did you see them go on the web and tell us what they were thinking and ask our opinions? No they did not.
The commercial sector treats this seriously and puts their money where their mouth is. Our group cannot raise money to ensure we are in court defending our section.
Guides and lodges should have this already covered and they do not. The BCWF is putting money in.
Halibut is just the beginning on quota and we cannot get it together any better than this?
Wait till we go to rock fish then salmon.
Time to step up.

FYI, the SFI is heavily involved in the court action, including funding - last time I checked their funding comes from.......guides/lodges. Further funding will be needed, and there are already discussions started to pull in additional $$ from the guides.

Gee, another reason why we all need to be in this thing TOGETHER, not divided. That said, I do agree we need to be very careful what we post here...I have a few ideas I would never post here for that reason. Others are already out there, so not much being discussed thus far that is particularly earth shattering....BUT POINT TAKEN. Thanks for raising it. I hope others will read between the lines on what you are trying to signal regarding other species - if you think Halibut is a **** show, just wait. So we can all fight among ourselves or pull together for the long haul - its going to be a complicated ride from here forward. If you can, please get involved in your local SFAC.

After reading a couple of the later posts here, one thing comes to mind.

One suggestion that has not been made in direct words is this. I am not making this suggestion as my choice. I am merely putting it out there for discussion.

Advise DFO that the sport sector chooses to do nothing and that we recommend going ahead with the season as it has been in the recent past. March 1st start date, 1/2 limit and possession, no size restriction, wen it runs out it ends.

For the record I do not think too many of us are advocating or endorsing the slot or any other concession as being a good thing. Nor do I think anyone that has commented on possible concessions, like any of the choices nor do they think we should have to do it. I know I certainly do not! I have made my view on this Halibut issue (more over that it is about way more than halibut and TAC and allocation ) very clear more times than most probably would have liked to hear. The fact still remains that unless the choice above is what works best for the majority of rec fishers then some kind of management measures will almost certainly be necessary in the upcoming season.

FD I agree X 3 with todays tech u would think we could have a poll online.

1. Get rid of the Slot Limit or show me some #s it actually helped
2. No yearly quota, only because it closes doors to all Canadians fish,I would be afraid of this scenario 2013 6 Hali, 2014 4 Hali 2015 2 Hali
3. A longer Season or same
4. Some kind of long term goal towards getting more TAC
5. Make Gifting fish by Guides and Lodges illegal since its a issue??? Stats???
6.Charge more per lisense extra money going to lawyers to fight our cause or directly to hatchery coffers
7. Some kind of solution to fish counts?? Maybe a Halibut spot on your lisense and a incentive if you hand your lisense in the next year 10 bucks of your lisense fees go directly to Hatcheries. Get rid of the fly over program to finance this.

How about a Halibut tag as discussed on earlier posts,the recording of your catch,like the chinook fishery,and when the new licenses are issued in March ,double the license fee ,IF, you do not return your previous years license,any extra cash collected could be directed to better ways of determining TAC,such as counting,fish records on returned licenses.Just my two cents!

Mornin

so , think i got the poll thing figured , thx pippen , i will have it here soon , taking out Emo , i mean Osama Sturg fishin for the day : )
, would anyone be nice enuff to compile the top 10 ideas that would help or not help our 2013 Halibut Sporty 15% Allocation Management issues..

, use the reply with quote , keep it all one page , keep it organised some what

cheers

fd

1 think a halibut stamp on salt water salmon licence would help with data collection plus provide money to help provide observers at marina sites

I'm against paying for a stamp unless ALL the money goes towards the fishery as well as the salmon stamp $$ going to the fishery as well. Frigging cash grab by criminals

Lack of reading comprehension much??

I don't want to give the Govt another way to syphon off our money in the name of conservation like the Salmon Stamp.

What are you asking me for Lorne?

"Well except Fishtofino, you dont catch many fish anyway, so im sure you dont dent the TAC too bad. Its the guides that come from out of town and fish out of your port you have to watch!

Lorne "

I don't catch any anyways........i hope to catch my 1st Halibut next year :)

This is my take on this issue, I want to be able to go Halibut fishing, I do not want to catch a million pounds. I just want to be able to go fishing and not have to worry if I am in the "slot" or if I am legal to fish. If the day comes that I cannot fish for halibut but I still can buy it in the store I will take my fight directly to the likes of Pattison who have been gifted the quota and I will fight them by boycotting their business and anything else legal that will cost them and hurt their pocket books. This is where these characters feel pain and mark my words I will use every legal means I have to hurt them.

This is my take on this issue, I want to be able to go Halibut fishing, I do not want to catch a million pounds. I just want to be able to go fishing and not have to worry if I am in the "slot" or if I am legal to fish. If the day comes that I cannot fish for halibut but I still can buy it in the store I will take my fight directly to the likes of Pattison who have been gifted the quota and I will fight them by boycotting their business and anything else legal that will cost them and hurt their pocket books. This is where these characters feel pain and mark my words I will use every legal means I have to hurt them.

I agree, but, unfortunatly the people buying Halibut in the stores don't own a boat like the one in your avatar... The money will always win out in this case.

what areas exactly did this slot help lower our catch rate GLG ???, pls,

no slot , no 1/1...

last ...

so your telling me there are guys willing to donate there time passing motions and negotiating with us all ,many other things , im sure im forgetting alot ,we thank them ,,,
but no time ta help set up a trust or a website , help raise money to get more allocation from stamp funds ??? hard ta believe..

fd

I don't have details of how many pounds it saved by having a slot size. This rule was set last year to try to give us a full season. I do know that it did not work as well as it was planned, perhaps because there was more effort last year compared to the previous year. The proof is the season closed early. I don't have all the answers but I do know we can't keep going over our TAC. It is not the right thing to do.

We have a list of choices and we need to work with them for this up coming season.
We need to make a hard choice that not everyone is going to like but it's best for the fish.
I wish I had the time and money to setup a website that would be the magic bullet to cure our problems.
But that's not in the cards and I don't see it ever being in the cards.
SFAC is not setup to have any cash to work with. DFO has all the cash and there budget is shrinking.
Remember DFO's solution was add 3% and let the "market" setup a website to lease halibut quota.
They are full speed ahead with there "market" solution even though many of us screamed to stop it.

Someone give me a solution that is right for keeping within our TAC and makes everyone happy.
If not, give me, from within the document scope, what will work for you.
GLG

UkeeDreaming, As I see it, we need slot and a annual limit to get us a full season or 1 and 1 to get a full season.
Slot might only get us to the start of September. How do I know? Just look at last season for your answer.
You points are very good and we are not here to make a final decision, only looking to educate my fellow fishermen so when asked at the next SFAC meeting we have hashed out some of the options.

Thanks all for your well thought responses and questions.
GLG

GLG

Lack of reading comprehension much??

I don't want to give the Govt another way to syphon off our money in the name of conservation like the Salmon Stamp.

What are you asking me for Lorne?

"Well except Fishtofino, you dont catch many fish anyway, so im sure you dont dent the TAC too bad. Its the guides that come from out of town and fish out of your port you have to watch!

Lorne "

I don't catch any anyways........i hope to catch my 1st Halibut next year :)

I am asking you to follow the thread and put what you want, not what you don't, like every other person. Must be my lack of reading comprehension.

Last edited by a moderator:
- NOTICE OF MEETING -
AREA 14 Sports Fish Advisory Committee Information Meeting

WHEN? November 15, 2012 - 7 PM
WHERE? Courtenay Fish and Game Clubhouse—Comox Lake
Directions http://www.courtenayfishandgame.org/

WHAT? Issues concerning recreational fishing and fishermen in Area 14, Parksville to Oyster River, Vancouver Island.
Public discussion on “"SFAB Halibut Management Considerations 2013"

Come and meet the volunteers that are working for your benefit to maintain high quality angling opportunities in this area and all over BC.
Reports presented local salmon, groundfish, shellfish, herring and C&P by DFO and Committee members.

Have a quick read from the link below to find out what this is all about.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consult...torman-eng.htm

GLG

Back