So Let’s Talk About It, Halibut 2013

1/1 is fricking brutal. I could rant on all the reasons why, but holy cow say good bye to your multi day trip guests. for what? to maybe book a few in sept? that makes zero sense.

What about all the people that dont have hali in their back yard.? you expect people from the mainland to pay $500 in ferries + everything else to catch 1 hali? not to mention all the people from ECVI. Please dont do that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me Islandgirl u have it out for Guides, your ideas are your entitlement but they seem to support more the Commie side of things and are taking a step backwards. Sad to hear. Give them what they want, hey why not propose giving back the 3 percent quota while your at it.

Your halibut working group is tasked to stay within the rec allocation for next year.
Just how do you propose they do that?

Attend the meetings Duffer and get involved.

I agree with Lorne, 1/1 would be brutal

How do you think the slot didn't work? It kept the season open when it would have closed at the end of July

- it never gave us a full season as was suggested it would
- sadly we are looking at furthur restriction/ limits for 2013

Agree there Lorne its like limiting July and August can you imagine the economical impacts on BC. People from all over Canada and the World come here to enjoy Sportsfishing and your going to limit them to 1 fish?? I'm sure there's more BC Rec Fisherman out there in July and Aug also. Thousands of young and old BC citizens work depend somehow in the Summer months involved with Lodges and Sportsfishing. They in turn spend there money going to School etc. Not too mention all the several other economical spinoffs from Sportsfishing. Let's shut it all down so DFO and Jimmy can be Happy??

I'm raging right now I must go if I wasn't feeling well I wouldn't even be reading this anymore.

the only way the slot would have worked , was if they guaranteed that it would stay open till Sept , which was NOT the case , they made it clear that they would shut it down when they felt our Sporty target was achieved ,

area 123-23,,, , I dont know of anyone that was forced to release a " Over Size " fish in our neighborhood , everyone thinks that when ya go out halli fishin , its a gimme , complete crap , unless maybe your a complete fricken genius and are on the water everyday !! ive been taught by one of the best on the hook , and am fortunate enuff to to average 30 - 40lb fish , 0 under the slot size hooked again this year on the hook... , im not gonna risk goin out my second day, and injuring a over size fish on a release ,, lookin for a pp paddle , am i being selfish ?/ ,,,would be nice ta bring 2 home again !!! I kept only 4 fish this season ,,,all i needed , freezer should be smilin for the winter..

if someone was actually counting , i would say the only reason it stayed open till september was we had alot of WIND this spring . kept Most" off the water , or hook...
not the case here though...0 fish counts

most boats have 3- 4 guys on it out our way , if you can whack your overs and unders on a weekend trip . your either a fricken God , or have to much lady luck on your side , again , WERE TALKIN ABOUT JOE SHMOES here .. just doesnt happen , most boats on average get 0 lol,,,some with experience get 1 or 3 ,

unless you had someone countin fish on your dock every day , where are we comin up with the numbers , NO COUNTING IN OUR MARINA all summer , ...a few of us sportys monitored the season numbers !! Poet Nook is bigger than most think , alot of Sportys come through here...numbers dont lie , August had the least amount of Hali all summer...most are in Lunker Salmon mode... May June and early July were by far the most productive for the guys that knew somewhat of what they were doing... again NON GUIDES !!! i know the slot is great for guides and lodges , but dont try ta convince us that it works for everyone... we gave , prob never get it back !!

,,, my issue is making the process more public ,
sounds like these meetings are not attended very well ,sounds like its even tuff getting the locals out , never mind guys across the pond, which most of us sportys come from id think ,where costs are a huge issue for attendance...,,, the reps that do attend , need to listen to all ideas by all of us out here , and not ram new regs down are throats again.. give us options , lets discuss and vote on it , why so secretive at times...?? get a website goin , a poll , somthin , cause this isnt workin... every license gets one vote , no vote , shut up and deal with it !!!

later...

fd

Isn't being open past Labour Day weekend better than closing at the end of July?

1/1 is fricking brutal. I could rant on all the reasons why, but holy cow say good bye to your multi day trip guests. for what? to maybe book a few in sept? that makes zero sense.

What about all the people that dont have hali in their back yard.? you expect people from the mainland to pay $500 in ferries + everything else to catch 1 hali? not to mention all the people from ECVI. Please dont do that...

I'm just answering a question about 1/1, if we were to go that route.... Also pointing out there would most likely have extra quota left over which defeats the purpose of the this exercise?? as we go thru this process we need to be looking at how all Canadian people can have fair and equal access to this quota .... :)

I'm just answering a question about 1/1, if we were to go that route.... Also pointing out there would most likely have extra quota left over which defeats the purpose of the this exercise?? as we go thru this process we need to be looking at how all Canadian people can have fair and equal access to this quota .... :)

Cool story bro.

In the name of this excerise are you gonna put up your top 10 wants?

Lorne

Can anyone tell me what the TAC was when we last had 2/3 and feb till dec opening?
We are at the low end of the tac right now our numbers will get better.Halibut stamp and buy quota would be the way i would like to see it happen.after a while the tac is up evrything is rosey and we still keep buying it so when its a low abundance situation we will still be ok for a full season

Hey Islandgirl I've been to all the meetings in our area that were made public and never seen you at one. I guess you are only at the ones during the day and are kept secret. You are now on the Comittee? I am not interested now in going to any meetings and listening or engaging in battles Guides against Sporties this is the wrong direction for all Sports Fishing and Conservation.

it seems to me altho never mentioned on this forum that limited entry for charterboats is an option for long term problems;as it seems to be an expanding business taking a contstant increasing number of sportfishing quotas; just something to think about

it seems to me altho never mentioned on this forum that limited entry for charterboats is an option for long term problems;as it seems to be an expanding business taking a contstant increasing number of sportfishing quotas; just something to think about

What do you call a person that buys a lisense and goes on a Charter?

Answer. A Sportsfisherman or women??

So you are proposing taking Quota from a Sportsfisherman or Women??

Hey there's a good idea!!

Just delete this thread too many ego's it's embarrassing to read this crap and won't help our cause one bit.

Just delete this thread too many ego's it's embarrassing to read this crap and won't help our cause one bit.

Roger that! Waste of time. For a few nano seconds there it was looking like Lolly Pop and Cuba Libre were succeeding in getting everyone to stop the acrimony and focus on solutions. Enough pot shots and in-fighting - better that we focus on working together to find a set of solutions that work for the vast majority of rec anglers regardless of what frickin boat they are riding in.

Hey Islandgirl I've been to all the meetings in our area that were made public and never seen you at one. I guess you are only at the ones during the day and are kept secret. You are now on the Comittee? I am not interested now in going to any meetings and listening or engaging in battles Guides against Sporties this is the wrong direction for all Sports Fishing and Conservation.
Wow! Where do these personal shots come from. I thought everyone was entitled to their opinions on these boards. Someone is now on a SFAC. that you don't agree with, and you aren't going to attend meetings and voice your thoughts. You are really just going to roll over like that? Jeez...what a sad state of affairs.
I agree..delete this thread, as it really hasn't provided the input that was intended...just further divided the sports sector.

WOW!!!!!
I just waded through 15 pages of this thread, and what a S#!T SHOW!!!
I appreciate the fact that Gil "GLG" started this thread to get the dialogue going on this Halibut issue early, so that we ALL can get our concerns on the table and put them together collectively so that they can be taken to the SFAC Meetings. Thank you!

All of this is so that we don't end up in the same predicament the we were in this past year. The trick (that lots seem to be missing), is that we need to come together with our ideas, check your egos, religion(jk), attitudes etc,,, at the door. The school yard behaviour, bickering and back-biting, will get us nowhere. A bunch of you that are argueing with each other and taking pot-shots at anyone that puts forward a thought or idea, seem to have forgotten that you are all in the same boat here, and you are so busy trying to shoot each other in the foot, that you have overlooked the fact that you are filling the boat full of HOLES, and you are going to sink the boat! If this is the best that we can do, well then we are doomed, and should learn to accept the slop that we given at the trough.

If we want change, we need to unite and put forth good constructive ideas to take to the SFAC meetings, in order to convey to DFO that we collectively want the same thing.

FH

Well the last 4 posts had no solutions at all.

After all that discussion we did all seem to agree on one thing.

Make gifting fish for Guides illegal.

So it hasn't been a total waste.

These are my wants, they may not mesh with yours, but these are mine. These are the things that I truly want, my focus is 100% pointed toward obtaining them.

I want a full halibut season starting March 15 2013, ending no earlier than September 31, 2013 - I expect this or better than this.
I want a halibut licence tag(similar to that of Salmon) Tag sales help with in season tabulation of angler use - I expect this or better than this.
I want an annual catch limit of 5 hailbut, along with legth/width to be recorded on the angler licence like salmon and ling - I expect this or better than this
I want it to be required that DFO collect annual licences at the end of the valid season in order to have extended angler catch data - I expect this or better than this.
I want the daily limit per day on halibut to be 2 and 2 possession total for two day catch - I expect this or better than this.
I want all letter catch transfer transportation to be set to the angler must transport his own catch with valid license on person - I expect this or better than this.
I want mandatory log book reporting for all guide and lodge opperations - I expect this or better than this.
I want all out of country anglers to pay a higher tag than a resident - I expect this or better than this.
I want DFO to have coming season plans sooner than the last minute openings they have offered in the past - I expect this or better than this.
I want to have a safe fun fishing season with a reasonable expectation for the opportunity to angle for halibut without creating anxious derby style fisheries - I expect this or better than this.

The nice thing about wants and goals, they can always be adjusted in order to receive what you expect. Aim as high as you can, find your target, line your sights and get it.

That is all.
Nice....I can go along with this.
lollypop...any suggestions as to where you'd like to see the dollars from the tags, go? Buying TAC, Enforcement, or ? Certainly not general revenue.
Having a tag with an annual limit, such as 5, will stop the gifting. DFO will now have factual data, instead of models to work with. This is a good start. IMO

After reading 15 pages of fighting we have made Mr Pattersons job much easier. We are all pationate about fishing, why not direct that energy to the correct people, not each other. Richmake stated it correct. The hali issue is NOT a conservation issue, why are sporty's, guides and most on this post so willing to give up fish, days, seasons, or limits. 1 united front looking for transfered none caught comercial TAC will solve this issue. Why as a team of one are we not ONLY asking and accepting that as an answer. If only a segment of none comercial guys make recomendations we end up with a season as the last 2 years. I only see 1 answer (more TAC), we must ALL accept that as the way ahead and spend our energy and money on finding how to recieve it. My view, how do we get TAC?

HM

In reading FD'S response I looked back at this post and now understand his reaction. I had left out a key point in my post so I have edited it to read correctly and have re posted it.

After reading 15 pages of fighting we have made Mr Pattersons job much easier. We are all pationate about fishing, why not direct that energy to the correct people, not each other. Richmake stated it correct. The hali issue is NOT a conservation issue, why are sporty's, guides and most on this post so willing to give up fish, days, seasons, or limits. 1 united front looking for transfered none caught comercial TAC will solve this issue. Why as a team of one are we not ONLY asking and accepting that as an answer. If only a segment of none comercial guys make recomendations we end up with a season as the last 2 years. I only see 1 answer (more TAC), we must ALL accept that as the way ahead and spend our energy and money on finding how to recieve it. My view, how do we get TAC?
HM

You are correct. More of the available TAC would provide us with the stable and predictable fishery we all desire. You would also be correct to say that More of the available TAC is what is needed to accurately represent the social and economical impact sport fishing has on this province and country for that matter.

However the fact is,
whether some of us are unable, or refuse to acknowledge,the 15 percent is all we will get for 2013 like it or not. The reality of that is,there is a very real possibility that we will be facing the same or worse conditions for the upcoming season. These are facts and the sport sector will again be faced with trying to manage it's season in a way that works best for the most people.

So let me ask you this. Do you want to wake up one morning to find out that there are new management measures in place that you did not even know had been considered? Or, do you want to at least know that you had the opportunity to have your opinion heard and that you were informed ?

If the answer is the later of the two then make your suggestions here, or better yet come to the meetings if you can. Either way you become part of the process. Like it or not DFO will soon be looking to those people who donate there time on our behalf for feedback regarding the best way to move forward into the 2013 season.

I for one,regardless if I agree with the final outcome for 2013 or not,will at least know that I took advantage of the opportunity to take part in the process

Back