So...closed for retention also means closed to catch & release...

Interesting, is we do not seem to close rockfish from shore. Only from boats. I think it is that there is not that many rockfish caught from shore, and the varieties that limit rock fishing would be extremely rare to hook from shore. When I was a kid, the limit was I think 20, about 10 years ago was dropped to 10 and closed seasons. Came from more fishing and the live fish Asian market trade. Huge amounts of fish were supplied. When they banned long line, the fisherman cut up the line in 80 foot lengths and put a treble on one end and a piece of rebar. Other end is a 3/4 pvc pipe capped off. They drop hundreds of these inshore and catch huge amounts of fish. A lot is cash transfers, so bad reporting of landings. Tax on landings to F&G. So over fishing. Not as bad as the Island I think, but brutal. 20 years ago, the Farallon Islands were gill netted. Most of the fish hook and line caught had net scars and were small. I am 71 years old, and in the 1950's a limit would weight at least 100# and then a limit of Ling cod (5) would add another 100# (45kilo). But there were less than 15 million people and now is about 35 million. So fishing does not impact it as much here I think. Lots of shore is inaccessible in Northern Calif. And yes Franko is a character. I have known him for 25 years probably. No one really knows what is happening with him.

Interesting, is we do not seem to close rockfish from shore. Only from boats. I think it is that there is not that many rockfish caught from shore, and the varieties that limit rock fishing would be extremely rare to hook from shore.
If you know where to go you can catch them very close to shore and in shallow water, certain times of the year I catch them on top water poppers(fresh water lures/single barbless hooks).

Attachments

• DSCN0012yt.jpg
    DSCN0012yt.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 179
so i guess the kids fishing on piers are going to have to give up fishing in certain areas? if there are rockfish under the piers... don't know if i agree with the logic of no fishing for rockfish in shallow water or fishing off the shore. I can understand non retention in some areas though. always felt it was a pain in the you know what fishing with barbs for rockfish. if there should be a single barbless law, that's the species it should apply to....

Back