Smoking Halibut

2 to 1 brown sugar and course salt mix pat a liberal amount on skinless fillet cover put in fridge over night 8-10 hours. Time depending on thickness remove and rinse off let sit air drying until tacky to the touch. Drizzle a small amount of light olive oil smoke low temp 120-140 remove from the smoker When you feel it starting to firm up 1.5-2 hours. Let sit and cool grab your favourite beverage and enjoy.

Going to try injecting the oil next time as an experiment.

My wife and I are always trying to come up with a way to enjoy halibut. There's no such thing as not enjoying ling or whole rockfish.

deep fry them in very small pieces or strips with a beer batter, and make fish tacos with a nice red cabbage slaw with a tzaziki/ and homemade tartar sauce slathered on top. dynoooo-mite

We prefer to smoke our halibut and have been doing so for years. We use the same dry brine as our smoked salmon and leave it in the brine for 18 to 24 hours. After rinsing we then let the halibut soak in pineapple juice for a couple hours to help it bring in a little extra flavor. We have found this to be our go too for smoking halibut and everyone who eats it says it the best smoked fish they have every tasted.

The dry brine is generally 2 Kilos of brown sugar, 1 cup rock or kosher salt then we add garlic powder, onion powder, dried crushed chili's, and a little paprika.

We enjoy smoked fish with cheese and crackers however we also add our smoked halibut to our home made seafood chowder along with smoked salmon, really tastes great. (We also add lobster, king crab, jumbo prawns, sea scallops, and a variety of clams to our chowder for the holidays).

I have a commercial vacuum sealer and have kept the halibut for up to 2 years and it still tastes great.

Back