Smoked salmon

If it's just a little dry, you could drip some olive oil on the fish before vacuum packing it. I've done this before with some success. Label them so you can know when to pull them out.

Salty or dry works well with alfredo sauce, cream cheese style spread, mixed with mayo for sandwich.

I've got a batch of candy drying right now and I am getting small droplets of what feels like fat on the top of it. It has been drying for almost 21 hours. Have I missed the pellicle stage or needs to dry longer? Mostly pinks so that might be why? Any advice? Thanks

Id say its ready i only dry mine for about 5 hours..with a fan going over top of it though

Cream Cheese, mayo , mix master and a box of your favorite crackers. Never any left behind in our house when I make that up.

Better yet !
...even better: mix with cream cheese - spread on a Ritz cheese cracker and finish with a dollop of jalapeno jelly.

Don't feel bad... someone inflicted my last smoker batch (Pinks) with the dreaded curd curse, hmm perhaps I could also blame it on the rain! ;) :)

I've got some white salmon to smoke--does anyone have any suggestions? I do 3 kinds of smoking--cold smoked spring, hot smoke spring or coho strips and hot smoked pink fillets which then go into the can but I've never done white spring before. Wolf--you said you were going to smoke some whites--what do you do?
T2

Nothing different just my brine for 24 hours and then smoke for about 6 to 8 hours this new smoker I built is so easy to use i can keep temp down to 125-130 the whole time just keep adding alder to it, people have said its the best they ever had..and those people are bringing salmon to me to smoke now that i have a chamber vacuum sealer as well.

Wolf

OK... I botched a batch on Sunday.
Rushing too much and did not air dry long enough and then too much heat too fast. Yup got the grey goo. I wiped it off and continued. Probably should not have wiped off but thought I would try. This part I know I screwed up.

Also used coarse salt the wife had bought that had anticaking ingrediant. Anyone know if this effects the fish taste?
Wasn't just dry but tasted ****** in my opinion.

Thanks
Tips

When you guys are drying the salmon do you just leave it out in a cool place in the house ? what about flies or am i missing something ? cover it with something or ??

We lay the fish on a sheet of cardboard in the laundry room with a fan on it and close the door.
It definitely works better if the fish is dried out for 3 or 4 hours before smoking.

X2 Scott doing a big batch on monday but i dry mine right on my racks ....min 3 to 4 hours its called pemicille...(sp) or something like that it accepts the smoke better

Found this :

A pellicle is a skin or coating of proteins on the surface of meat, fish or poultry, which allow smoke to better adhere the surface of the meat during the smoking process. Useful in all smoking applications and with any kind of animal protein, it is best used with fish where the flesh of, say, Salmon, forms a pellicle, the surface that will attract more smoke to adhere to it than would be the case if you had not used it. Without a pellicle; the fish would be inedibly dry from enough smoking to produce a tasty finished product. It is the pellicle which permits the transformation creating delectable Smoked salmon.

I have been drying with a fan for shorter period and getting good results however I will try a 5 hour dry with fan period and see what that's like.
I was told by a so called 'expert' pro salmon smoker that on a 8-9 hours in your smoker that you should only have fresh wood smoking for about half the in smoker time. For example in a big chief put fresh wood chips in every hour to hour and a half for only 3 or 4 replacements and then take out the wood chips and let fish sit in smoker without smoke for another 3-4 hours. The reason as it was explained to me is that after about 4 hours of smoking the smoke just builds up on the filet surface and makes it taste bitter. I have done the 4 hours smoke with last 4 hours no smoke and it tastes awesome .......so I guess it works but interested if some guys are full on smoke for the full 8-9 hours ???

I feel I have a pretty good handle on smoking salmon.

A couple of tips I use, is I ALWAYS dry in the fridge over night, turning once when I get up to pee. Usually 8-10 hours. Makes for an awesome penicle.

Also I only smoke for 3 hours. I was told by a guru of smoked meats, that smoking for over 3 hours is just wasting and makes your food taste more and more like well.... smoke, instead of enhancing the flavour of the food like its supposed to do.

When you guys are drying the salmon do you just leave it out in a cool place in the house ? what about flies or am i missing something ? cover it with something or ??

I load up my smoker racks then depending on batch size cover the counter, kitchen table or both with news paper and put the fan on it all.

Back