Smoked Cheese

Has anyone tried it,anygood?

It's been a long time since I did any, but always turned out good. Edam and Gouda always worked fine. Just remember you don't want any heat, just smoke. I found that a top load little chief worked very good. Take out the racks, support them on top of the smoker body and invert the cardboard box over the rack to retain the smoke. Haven't tried any with my bradley smoker, would be concerned with the heat given off by the wood chip burner and the possiblility of melting the cheese. In any case you have to experiment for smoke flavour, light or heavy smoke, and wood flavour, I like alder and cherry. Good luck and don't forget to report back.

Since housebound with snow today. I threw a couple of chunks of old cheddar and one of asiago on the racks. Plugged in for 20 minutes until smoke then un plugged.. it continued to smoke for about 1.5 hours..

EXCELLENT way way better than I anticipated..
The cheddar was out of this world better than anything you can buy! I used maple chips from a friend that turns wood bowls and some apple added in.

Many thanks to FA123 for the tips!

Going to Costco today to buy some cheddar. have never smoked cheese before.

The best part is it gets better when vac packed and left for a week or two in the fridge then ate. Will have to do a batch myself soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Au contraire mon ami.......... I am, as I type, staring at a brick of Cracker Barrel Havarti and 800 gms of Medium Cheddar. BOTH are vacuumed sealed . If its a huge no-no why does Kraft do this??? I see where its not recommended for "soft" cheeses, but vac seal and then eat immediately after defrosting should not be a problem. It seems a lot the negative issues around sealing cheese are valid for soft cheeses that are stored in the fridge-- not the freezer

Last edited by a moderator:
Never vac pack cheese!!!!!!!! Huge NO NO This is why all cheese in stores is lose (sic) packed.

I just bought 700 grams of Friulano that came vacuum packed it always comes vacuum packed and I've bought it that way for year & years.

Had breakfast @ Granville Island Market an hour ago and probably half the Cheese on sale-dozens & dozens of varieties @ 4 different stores-was vacuum packed.

I believe you boys are getting cheesed off with one another. :). Time to go fishing!
T2

...speaking of smoked cheese...costco had a pre Xmas sale on Balderson's smoked cheddar... worked out - $10/kilo...:)

Real funny Dogbreath..... Seems to me your the one Full of F------ Sh--!
Here's the 700 gram round of vacuum packed Friulano Cheese from Quebec I mentioned.

IMGP3521_zpsbf31f01f.jpg

If someone takes their for advise from a site called Thrifty Fun and thinks vacum and chamber sealing is the same that's their problem...
Not my link.

If you're so sure why don't you ask Benton Brothers or Dussa's both in the market @ Granville Island-there are a couple other places that sell Cheese but not as much variety.

...speaking of smoked cheese...costco had a pre Xmas sale on Balderson's smoked cheddar... worked out - $10/kilo...:)

Helluva deal especially in this country.

Interesting, I was in Quality Foods in Courtenay today. In the specialty cheese area, guess what they had to package their cheeses - a chamber sealer!
Ever try to seal a bag of water in your Foodsaver? Probably didn't work out so well. You can seal water, soup or even scotch, should you feel so inclined, in a chamber sealer...

Everything I ever posted on this topic since 2010 now deleted....... :)

Rather not get banned for actually trying to help on a topic and a item I know very well........

Deleted and ruined because of my best bud Dogbreath ..... Hahaha Ya right

Congratulations man everyone loses, you win

FA, when there is controversy here, I notice you're most often in the middle of it. Think about that.

It's a discussion forum, just because people disagree with your opinion doesn't mean they're wrong, it's just their reality or opinion.

You have a caustic way of expressing yourself sometimes when people question your opinion and it rubs people wrong, then you get into these set to's.

The different opinions and ways of doing things makes the place interesting.

Not picking a fight with you, just an observation. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
FA, when there is controversy here, I notice you're most often in the middle of it. Think about that.

It's a discussion forum, just because people disagree with your opinion doesn't mean they're wrong, it's just their reality or opinion.

You have a caustic way of expressing yourself sometimes when people question your opinion and it rubs people wrong, then you get into these set to's.

The different opinions and ways of doing things makes the place interesting.

Not picking a fight with you, just an observation. :)

If Dogbreath felt he had to resort to telling a person (being me) that I am FOFS......I am done

We are all intitled to our opinions and have the rights to share them and prove them but treating some like he did is completely wrong. And for every guy that hates my posts more enjoy them.

People are able to ignore other users that's in the settings. I have blocked many users over the years and even more today. If and when it becomes personal there are other option then posting them online. You can PM and or email most users.... As well many guys have each other's phone number and text regularly. You can track one of he regulars pretty easly.

I am very short and straight and to the point in my posts and in person. Like it or hate it I really don't care :)

Man this cheese thread is awesome.........

Back