Small Gradys

Charter Tofino

Looking at buying a small Grady hull out of the states and repowering/rigging up here. Not for guiding, strictly for casually fishing with 1-3 people. Currently looking at the Overnighter, Adventure and Seafarer. Bracket is a must. Does anyone have any experience with these hulls? Ive never fished the smaller models just the 23-28s.

We like our 228 with the bracket. It has taken us up to milbanke sounds 4 times running from van. Great fishing package with lots of back deck space. If you are around van let me know and we could take you for a rip.

I've got the 228G as well with the pod. Perfect for 3 fishers. A little crowed with 4. Easy to trailer, but big enough to deal with some ugly weather. 250HP is ideal.

my roomie has the 19' center consul for 20 years... great boat.. could use a t top..

hurricane mathew may help your search.

The Adventure 208 looks like it would be a fun rig but the motor well is a killer. I wish they had designed the newer hulls with a bracket like they did with the Seafarer. That might be the deciding factor.

I have a 228 seafarer. I really like it so far. Has a big deck for fishing, can be trailered easy, not too rediculous on fuel and if you like fishing the west coast it is very capable for its size. Mine has a 92 gallon tank but some come with an aux 50 as well. Like the others said, it fishes 3 guys nicely .

Did you guys buy your rigs down south? Even with the poor dollar it still seems like the way to go. So many boats for sale out east and after the shipping/exchange etc it still looks to be cheaper. My budget is only going to be 30-35k so will likely pick up an older hull and do some work on it.

I found mine locally last spring 92 228g with 2007 main and kicker for 28k . The boat surveyed perfect. I wouldn't shy away from the older hulls as long as someone has a good look at them .

Food for thought.... If I were to buy a Grady it would only be 98 or newer. The hulls are famous for rot. If you find a "v2" hull, you have nothing to worry about. The v2 hulls solved all the rot issues .

Food for thought.... If I were to buy a Grady it would only be 98 or newer. The hulls are famous for rot. If you find a "v2" hull, you have nothing to worry about. The v2 hulls solved all the rot issues .

Well there you go. That sounds like some solid advice from someone who knows a lot more than me. Why don't the SV2 hulls have the same rot issues?

i think he wants a flat back with a pod.. no transom well!

Referencing the original post, I have 9 seasons running a 92 Overnighter that I bought in April 2008. This is a pre CV2 hull. Very seaworthy boat used in the gulf and WCVI. I have done a lot of work and upgrades and would be happy to share info/pics If interested. Lots of room on the "dance "floor". Good size for 2-3 people to fish from, handles foot and a half chop easily. Does well crossing to Gabriola, which was one of the reasons I upgraded from a smaller boat. Never had a wave come through the motor well, but have taken one or three over the bow at Sandheads.

My ideal boat would be a Gulfstream (23 ft), however at that size trailering becomes difficult due to size and weight, permits? Etc. The 20 or 22' foot versions (Adventure, Seafarer) are at the practical limit for a trailerable boat imo. Above this size operating costs go up fast for fuel, moorage. If you trailer you may need to purchase a larger tow vehicle etc. I'm sure you (OP) have considered all of these factors.

A number of people that have fished out of my boat have remarked that it is a great boat to fish out of, mainly for seaworthiness, space, layout, built in fish boxes etc. Added length in boats over 20 feet seems to go more into the cuddy cabin, so for a day fisher you may be buying additional space that is little used. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply, I would love to see some pics of the rig. Your comments kind of echo my thoughts as well. The gulfstream is my preferred hull but financially not in the cards at the moment. Still bouncing back and forth on the seafarer and adventure.

My boat maaayyy be for sale Kelly.....its a late 80's 228 seafarer that is a little bit custom. 2010 300 merc verado 2012 yamaha 9.9, radar 3 screens....bla bla bla...custom flotation pod, custom awlgrip job, hard top....

Attachments

• DSC_0103.JPG
    DSC_0103.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0064.JPG
    DSC_0064.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 180
Back