Small boat heater

Canso, when the bottles are bulging like that, it's likely that it's not because of gas pressure alone. With 20% head space, the vapor pressure of liquid propane is less than 200 PSI at all temps <100F (38C). The BIG concern if you overfill and don't have much (or any headspace), is the expansion of the liquid as it warms. Unlike a gas, the liquid is not compressible and it can easily build pressures of 100 atmospheres or about 1400 PSI. The worst possible thing one can do is to completely fill the container with cold liquid (made even colder perhaps by cooling the container) and then let it warm. I saw the result of that when knucklehead in my chemistry department did that with liquid ammonia. He filled two small "lecture bottles" (gas cylinders about 2" in diameter and 16" long) to the brim with liquid ammonia at liquid nitrogen temperatures. He placed the bottles in a hood and left for lunch. Lecture bottles have a side wall thickness of about 1/4-3/8" in steel. Both bottles violently exploded and ripped 3-5" gaps down the side. Fortunately, no one was injured. I later painted one of those bottles gold, mounted it on a nice piece of lucite and gave it to him as an "award" (for stupidity) at a department banquet.

My suspicion is that your pressure relief valves were stuck due to age and corrosion, cold temperatures (the can cool when filling) or a combination of both. As a result, the containers were overfilled and the liquid expansion generated pressure high enough to cause the bulge. IMHO, if you haven't already, you should empty those cylinders and dispose of them immediately. Cylinders that are to be re-used should have their pressure relief valves tested or exchanged on a regular basis. Propane cylinders on a boat are especially prone to corrosion and should be checked/replaced more often. Moreover, for those who have propane on their boat, it should be stored external to the cabin in something that can vent over the side or at the very least be capped of so it can't leak. I have some caps I bought for the propane cylinders I use for my grill and I keep the propane capped. I'm building a PVC pipe holder that will allow me to store my cylinders outside. Propane explosions on boats are fairly common and on fiberglass boats they almost always result in a boat that is burned to the waterline.

I will be VERY interested to see how it works for you.. Nice of you to be the guinea pig!!!!LOL

Me three - The specs show that baby sucks from 4.4 to 8.5 amps so don't think you want to run it on high unless you're running your big engine. Even on low, I suspect your kicker is going to be hard pressed to keep up with the draw.

Canso, when the bottles are bulging like that, it's likely that it's not because of gas pressure alone. With 20% head space, the vapor pressure of liquid propane is less than 200 PSI at all temps <100F (38C). The BIG concern if you overfill and don't have much (or any headspace), is the expansion of the liquid as it warms. Unlike a gas, the liquid is not compressible and it can easily build pressures of 100 atmospheres or about 1400 PSI. The worst possible thing one can do is to completely fill the container with cold liquid (made even colder perhaps by cooling the container) and then let it warm. I saw the result of that when knucklehead in my chemistry department did that with liquid ammonia. He filled two small "lecture bottles" (gas cylinders about 2" in diameter and 16" long) to the brim with liquid ammonia at liquid nitrogen temperatures. He placed the bottles in a hood and left for lunch. Lecture bottles have a side wall thickness of about 1/4-3/8" in steel. Both bottles violently exploded and ripped 3-5" gaps down the side. Fortunately, no one was injured. I later painted one of those bottles gold, mounted it on a nice piece of lucite and gave it to him as an "award" (for stupidity) at a department banquet.

My suspicion is that your pressure relief valves were stuck due to age and corrosion, cold temperatures (the can cool when filling) or a combination of both. As a result, the containers were overfilled and the liquid expansion generated pressure high enough to cause the bulge. IMHO, if you haven't already, you should empty those cylinders and dispose of them immediately. .

the freezer method only adds 1/2lb - 3/4lb.
the time I filled using the valve, it filled past 1 lb.
they were new cylinders and it was there first refill.
I thought I would sure, so others dont make the same mistake.

Check out the installation instructions, Owen - sure looks like it needs a hot water run off the engine...

DAM....... They have been working on electric heaters for boats for over 25 years and have not found a way on a 12-24v system to raise the temp more the 10 degrees over ambient temp.

ORDER CANCELLED :(

DAM....... They have been working on electric heaters for boats for over 25 years and have not found a way on a 12-24v system to raise the temp more the 10 degrees over ambient temp.

ORDER CANCELLED :(

Not surprising. Not sure what wattage would be required for more than 10º over ambient, but even if it were as low as 500W at 12V, the draw would be over 40 amps. Wouldn't take long to kill a battery at that rate.

Not surprising. Not sure what wattage would be required for more than 10º over ambient, but even if it were as low as 500W at 12V, the draw would be over 40 amps. Wouldn't take long to kill a battery at that rate.

x2. Batteries can only hold so much power.

I guess this is a bonus of having an inboard. The ability to recover some of the energy used while running the engine. But I guess like others have posted, hard to recover heat when your on anchor or trolling on the kicker. Still think the 2 best solutions at this time are propane catalytic heaters or diesel heaters. I could see rechargeable battery operated clothing taking some of the market once costs come down.

yes, mine runs off the coolant hoses. (twin inboard diesels) but i have the wallas cook-top/heater which runs off diesel also when on the hook or berthed at a dock. I don't think the jeep type are going to work with outboards.

x2. Batteries can only hold so much power.
Still think the 2 best solutions at this time are propane catalytic heaters or diesel heaters. I could see rechargeable battery operated clothing taking some of the market once costs come down.

DaveS, I agree... Until battery technology changes, large storage batteries on any boat will be big, heavy and expensive to run an electric heater of any useful heat output. However, the Milwaukee line of heated clothes is becoming more affordable.
(Ok, maybe it's because I buy wholesale ;-) )

I also use the curly cord connection to the power outlet (cigarette lighter) to extend battery life.

As an added bonus, the HUGE number of 'brownie points' I earned from the early Christmas gift to 'the Princess' is still paying off now it's gotten colder again!!!

4a9e034bad212a801a622788d961c7e3.jpg

My $0.02

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back