Small boat heater

I called and they estimate a $400 cost to install.... Does that sound right?

Depends on the boat I would say. I installed my D4 Espar in about a day(8Hours). 400 seems pretty good for a shop rate.

Wish mine cost $800. More like $3500 but its been running 5 1/2 years now with few issues. Had to get a new thermostat but that was a blessing because now I have a digital thermostat which show the fault codes and I can clear them myself without getting a unit from the shop. It seems to run allot better too, more efficient. I was going to put in a new glow plug just as general maintenance but the dang thing cost about $250!!! Ummmm.... no, I'll wait for this one to go thanks.

Great thread!!

Oh, and, I have used buddy heaters in the past. Get a propane tank that fits in a milk crate and it will sit very stable and safe in the boat. I have done this in my last open boat but I still do it trout fishing in my 10 foot pram. Real cozy in boats. One thing tho, the buddy heater does not like wind!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Mr. Heater MH15c. Can be upright or tilted back and put a pot on for hot water. I use the disposable bottles, but have a refill adapter. Had it for years, so do not know if still sold.

I have a Mr. Heater MH15c. Can be upright or tilted back and put a pot on for hot water. I use the disposable bottles, but have a refill adapter. Had it for years, so do not know if still sold.

Where did you get the refill adapter?

I went with the Planar 44d-12, total cost for the unit shipped to my door was around a $1000. Northwest has been instaling these for the last year or so and haven't herd of any major issues. You will be happy with the unit Aberni and at fraction of the price of an espar.

Seems too be lots of options for heaters. The reason I went Espar is I work at a car dealer ship that sells Espar heaters for diesel truck applications. So I was able too get a deal on the unit. And we have a Espar code reader. I have seen a few Webesto installations and they seem too work well too. Never checked the cost on them. I originally put the heater in the boat for the wife. But after 3 seasons of running a boat with one I would hate too not have the defroster/heater option. It along with the hard top really let's me get the most out of a short season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not need to freeze your bottles first.

Just pull up on the pressure release valve when filling. When liquid gas comes out the bottle is full.

Freezing seems to help. I think it may keep more propane liquid. I do it both ways, but now toss in the freezer first.

Good video on the process, with a little humor added.

[fD1CmorB_qM] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM

Been doing it for years, hundreds of bottles. Freezer not needed. Freezer only helps if your not releaseing pressure during liquid transfer. Anyone want a lesson in do this process let me know via a PM or email

I like the freezer method, they fill about 3/4 full. When I tried the pin lifting method it over filled, didnt notice till a few days later and the bottle started bulging.
Should start a new thread with all this propane talk

Your bottles release valve should release before your tanks start bulging.

They didn't, happened with 2 of them.

Not my pic, but they looked exactly the same.
Not sure how much pressure that seam can handle

Last edited by a moderator:
By law propane cylinders may only be filled to 80% of total volume. That is why BBQ tanks are filled on a scale.

Yes...... If one does a bit of research they may learn that if those bottle are filled properly they are easily filled till 80%. You can even weight them before and after and see.......No Freezing Needed

The thing is I know what I am doing, never had any problems at all. I am going to stop posting on this topic. Cause if not done correctly someone could get hurt. I am certified in propane transfer and not afraid of the transfer of liquid or vaporized fuels.

This is is not something to cross your fingers with and hope for the best........

Man I'd love to have a diesel heater...... :)

Not sure how much pressure that seam can handle

I know you said these are not your pic;s but.....

This is crazy!!

If your unsure how to transfer correctly don't do it

Back