Westjet ruins fishing trip

MacDuff

Buddy and his oldest son from Tucson spent 5 fabulous days with me fishing Esperanza/Sandstone/Tatchu - tagged out on springs and bunch of lings and rockfish. Filled up two airline boxes and stopped at Praxair in CR for 5 lbs of dry ice per box this morning. Baggage screener at the Comox airport tells them that dry ice is not permitted, even though their own website states that 2.5 kilos per box is ok. They dump the ice in front of several Westjet employees and reseal the boxes. Westjet holds the plane to Calgary while this drama plays out. Then a Westjet employee tells them that the plane won't fly because there was dry ice in the boxes so they will ship the boxes to them in Tucson. My buddy has been to Tahsis 4 times over the last 7 years to fish and has never had this problem. He knows full well that the 80 lbs of processed fish will be ruined by the time the boxes arrive, if they ever do.

I have a friend who comes out from Calgary annually for a Nootka trip. He only uses frozen ice packs. No ice and was told years ago no dry ice by West Jet. Not sure why as my wife worked at United for many years and they used to allow 2.5kg per cooler.

That's too bad.
WestJet used to be good, good people with the right attitude.
It seems they are just like Air Canada now, "We are not happy until you are unhappy"
Gee I wonder what changed at Westjet just over a year ago,, oh wait I know !!

They are a completely different airline once it was sold. The employees can tell you that too

Processors only pack fish with gel packs from what I have seen, they might know something about how said airlines deal with dry ice.

Back